inner and outer rub rails | SouthernPaddler.com

inner and outer rub rails

TX_yakker

Sep 23, 2008
So i'm in the process of attaching my rub rails. Almost had a disaster as i slightly cracked the sideboard in one place. Decided that i needed to bend both rails at the same time and clamp them on the ends, problem solved. Anyway, so my question is more about the inner rail. I've seen several here that look really nice. I apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowing on this term, but i'll go ahead anyway. I dont plan to put in the "triangle piece" that i've seen several boats with an inner rub rail use, the piece that goes near each stem that sort of gives the inner rub rail a place to dead end into. I was thinking instead of just terminating the inside rub rail near the stem by sanding it down at an angle (much like a scarf joint).
Here's a picture of my outside rub rail (as seen from the inside of the boat)
innerrail.jpg

I used a .75x1.5" poplar board for the outer rail and i figured on using the same for the inner rail. Do you guys have some good pictures or direction on how you went about attaching your inner rail? As you can see, i used screws and glue to put on the outer but it seems like many people got away without using screws at all. Maybe thats just the "after look", but i'm not sure. Well, so far so good. Hopefully i can keep going and be done with my new duck boat sooner than later![/img]

TX_yakker

Sep 23, 2008
yup

yea, i'm over there too. My name on that board is stuckinthemud. Sadly, i'm not in texas for the time being. I'm out in san diego. Least the weather is nice for boat building...

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Many people just attach the inner rails with epoxy and wood flour mix and use a lot of clamps to hold them in place until the epoxy cures. You could also use screws to hold them until the epoxy cures then remove the screws and fill in the holes.
Jimmy

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
that little triangle is called a bresthook and one of its functions is to add rigidity to the stem, another is to provide a convenient handhold to pick up the end of the boat and a third is help keep the top of the sides spread out. Having said that you'r cetainly free to build anyway you want.

If you use fasteners, whichever rail you put on first will have the "no fastener" look as those fasteners will be hidden by the next rail. The outside rail is typically considered a replaceable part because it gets banged up more than the inside rail. Most folks put it on last to have access to the fasteners.

Fitting the inside rail to the stempiece or a bresthook is a bit more tedious than fitting the outside rail. It involves a lot of dry fitting and removing small amounts of wood at a time. Work on one end at a time and dry fit both rails before permanently attaching either one.

BTW, you'll need lots of clamps