Inside chines | SouthernPaddler.com

Inside chines

m4a34u

Jan 18, 2007
Vermilion Parish, Louisiana
What type of wood and dimensions do you guys use for those inside chines?

I also wanted to know about plywood, is there any brands better, does some of the big box stores/warehouses have better than another?

Thanks,

Bill

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
inside chine just gives you something to nail to when attaching a plywood bottom to a plywood side. i don't think there's any fixed size, just big enough for you to hit with a nail from the other side and thick enough to put in a decent nail. 7/8 X 7/8 plus or minus

closest place to me that sells marine plywood to BS 1088 that i've found is in houston. i'll try to get more info

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate,

If you are using epoxy to build your boat, I would argue that you don't need chine logs. They are a method from a pretty much by-gone era where inferior glues were used to bond the panels together.

Some blokes here use them (and nails and such) and they build fine boats that will last for years. Having said that, i still believe it is an outdated boat building method.

Modern Stitch and Glue technology and quality epoxy resin allows us to build our boats lighter, stronger and better with fewer wood working skills.

I will duck for cover now and try to avoid all the incoming. :D