Installing The Ribs | SouthernPaddler.com

Installing The Ribs

The next big step in building this UJ pirogue will be installing the stems and ribs. Stem installation looks pretty straightforward, but I have an idea on installing the ribs I want to run by the group here.

I'm obviously brand new to boat building but it seems like getting the ribs installed at 90-degrees to the sides will set the rocker fore & aft...it also seems like getting everything installed in the right place is going to be a chore if the holes are drilled after the sides are attached to the stems.

To make sure everything lines up, I was thinking of pre-drilling holes in the sides (with the side pieces clamped together) to make sure the ribs go into place the same way. I figured I could pre-drill for the center rib at 1/2 the total length, then for the front & rear ribs at 1/4 the total length (making the line of holes 90 degrees to the bottom edge of the sides. If I make a template to locate the holes, seems like I can use it to make sure the holes are pre-drilled into the ribs in the right place too.

Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I don't know why it would not work but if it doesn't then all you need to do is fill the holes and go forward the normal way.

I like to attach the center rib so it covers the center seam , this way it is the exact dead center of the boat.
Then I measure off the distance from it to the bow and stern marking the center of those sections , that is where I put the other ribs.

One way is to place them where you want them and mark the outside of each with a pencil , this will let you know where to drill to attach them. To make sure they are even .... measure the distance from the bow to the top of the rib on each side , when they are the same distance then they are square.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Yep just like Chuck said is how I did mine and it worked great and came out square. no need for pre drilling. I like the way you think though Taw!
Heck if you want to it's your boat pre drill away! I did not want to many holes so I tried to keep it to a minimum but enough to hold it together while drying. I am no expert and this is my first boat also. But I am having a blast :lol: building her though! it gets to be very addicting!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Taw,

This being the SOUTHERN Paddler Net, the most important consideration about the ribs is - what kind of sauce are you spreading on them? Molasses based or tomato based?

Now a tomato based sauce is .....

Kayak Jack said:
This being the SOUTHERN Paddler Net, the most important consideration about the ribs is - what kind of sauce are you spreading on them? Molasses based or tomato based?

We've finally hit on a topic I can discuss with some level of knowledge! If you guys want to start talking about Winchester lever actions, I'll really be at home.

Papaw always told me that if anyone used BBQ sauce it meant that somebody screwed up the brisket. He also said that the only people who used ketchup were yankees who couldn't grow tomatoes (the family's not new to Texas, you can tell).

I sort of incorporated those philosophies into my rib cooking. They get soaked in Worcestershire sauce overnight (after the membranes have been peeled off) then rubbed down with Tony C.'s, seasoned salt, and coarse ground pepper before they go on the smoker. After about 3 to 4 hours, depending on if I'm cooking wild pigs or store-bought, they come off the smoker and get double-wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil. At that stage of the game I have been known to add honey or pancake syrup (there's your molasses-based sauce) to sweeten things up a bit. They stay on the smoker another 2 to 3 hours in the foil and if everything is done correctly it takes two fingers to pull the bones out of the meat. Slice and serve...my version of the boneless McRib.

Damn...I need to fire up the smoker this weekend...

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Twa
I do it just backwards from you I cook in tinfoil for couple hrs then start punching holes in it till most of juices are cooked in on the grill on both sides No sweet sauce for me) Like you say have to be carefull picking them up bone will just pull out.
Ron

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Amen about sauce meaning someone screwed up the BBQ! Real BBQ needs no sauce.

My baby back ribs get a dry rub and then cooked on really low heat for about 8-9 hours. No foil - just low heat and smoke. 8)

Mike