Into the Ozello Keys. | SouthernPaddler.com

Into the Ozello Keys.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I made a day-trip up to Ozello again, with the intent of taking more pictures of the boat in that setting. Guess I got carried away with the "exploring" thing, I only took one picture of the boat in the water!

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love this area! The Ozello Keys cover quite a bit of territory, and since my days off are during the week, I seldom see another soul once I leave the ramp.

And that makes me love it all the more! :D

Now, I'm not quite sure, but it may be that Sacajawea is no more of a "morning person" than I am, or it could be just the camera. Once again, I tried to get a picture of her loaded up on the truck and ready to roll, but that lens fog showed up again.

OzelloOne01.jpg

Still, kind of neat-looking, for a "free-bee" special effect. . .

One of these days, I'll probably try putting in at some of the other places I've seen, but for now, I am using the public ramp at the very end of Ozello Trail.

OzelloOne02.jpg

It isn't much, just some concrete going down into the water at a rather shallow angle. But, I don't need much, in fact this time, I launched right next to the ramp, as there's a little hole that gets deeper, faster than the ramp does. Makes it easier for me to float her off the dolly.

On the left, you see a couple of boat trailers, there's room for 20 or 30 of them! (When I'm there, 3 would be a lot.) On the right, where you can't see, there's some shaded picnic tables, palm trees and a grassy area, where I park.

Here's a shot of a local "celebrity," the old, dead tree at the ramp.

OzelloOne03.jpg

Remember this one and the car parked there. You'll see it again, later on. But with a difference.

Here's the ramp again, like I said, nothing special, just just enough. The odd-looking white pipe you see is a collection point for monofilament fishing line scraps. You'll find these at many Florida boat ramps. I've seen one too many birds struggling with old fishing line wrapped around them and really appreciate seeing people use these disposal points. One case of "tax dollars at work" that actually does some good!

OzelloOne05.jpg

Mangroves are something you'll see a lot of. They serve as habitat for bait fish and as a nursery for several types of fish.

OzelloOne06.jpg

Great combination, mangroves and oyster bars!

OzelloOne07.jpg

In the only picture I took of her that day, Sacajawea sits patiently in a foot of water while I go wading about. (Since there's tidal flow can be quite strong and I'm out there by myself, I go for "over-kill" and use heavy mushroom anchor.)

OzelloOne08.jpg

The next pic is a classic example of what there is to see in this section of the Ozello Keys:

OzelloOne09.jpg

As is this:

OzelloOne10.jpg

And this, being my idea of a "dream house."

OzelloOne13.jpg

Once I get past that first key island, there are no houses to be seen, or any other signs of people. Being out there during the week, even seeing another boat has been quite rare. Right now, I'm in the very early stages of learning my way about. I can already see where a small, hand-held GPS might be a good idea.

To get some pictures of some the unusual bottom structure, I "anchored" in maybe 4 inches of water. Had to be watchful, didn't want to squash the baby spartina grass or young mangroves.

OzelloOne17.jpg

At the other end of the Pirogue, you can see the pockmarked lime rock bottom under a few inches to a foot or so deep, and a deep fissure in that rock. Paying attention while wading is something you MUST do.

OzelloOne15.jpg

Another look at that chasm, with less reflection of the sky and clouds.

OzelloOne16.jpg

I'm not sure just how deep this one is, but many of these are freshwater springs and sometimes the bottom of them open up into a cave system. It is said that fish you normally find in deeper, offshore water will be found in them, especially in the winter. This is something I'll be looking into! (By hook and line, NOT by dropping down inside!)

Remember the car parked next to that dead tree at the ramp? Same spot when I got back in:

OzelloOne18.jpg

This is the results of a higher-than-usual tide, combined with wind-driven water. That old dead tree looks a little forlorn. Wonder what else it's seen over the years?

OzelloOne19.jpg

There was a boat ramp when I got here, and I'm pretty sure it will be there when the tide recedes.

OzelloOne20.jpg

There is so much out there to see, exploration will be my first order of business. I want to see as much of this area as I can and learn my way around in it. It looks like an excellent place to get my "fishing act" together and I know that will take some time. When I eventually "settle in," I can definitely see making some trips with my oil paints and trying to capture the many views and scenes.

At least, I know what I'll be doing over the next several years. :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Mike,

Fabulous looking place. I can allmost smell the fish from here :D ,

Mmmm, mangroves, sand flats, & oyser rocks some of my favourite places to paddle.

Thank you for sharing.

BTW any coral there?

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Yep that is Ozello!

I was out there the first day you went and I know that cause I saw your truck. I had paddled the Chazz that morning and made a paddle out of Ozello for about 3 hours that afternoon. But I was in my pastic kayak cause I did not want to have those Ozello Oysters scratch my P-ro.... :roll:

There are Reds very close to the ramp....look for rocky points with current....HINT :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Mick,

No coral as far as I can tell, I suspect the water just isn't salty enough for that. And it's a bit too far North, anyway. Coral doesn't seem to take to the cold any better than I do. :D

TradGlenn!

Wish I'd seen you there! Maybe another time. . .

Rocky points with current, near the ramp. . . Hmmmmm.
Almost right across from the ramp, a little to the right, there's a large key with a very small one right in front. At low tide, there's a rocky almost "land bridge" connecting the two. As the tide comes in, it's like a flume ride between those two. (I know, I "rode" it.) It ends in kind of a deep pool. Deep enough that the water seems still. Have to give it a try, next time.

Know what you mean about the oysters. I've gotten quite a few scratches and near-gouges on the bottom of the boat, already. Thanks to the extra coats of epoxy with graphite, none have gotten as far as the glass cloth (yet.) Likely, I'll be adding another coat of that "black magic," soon.

I used to think I was pretty good at the fly fishing game. I did do well when it came to bass and bluegills, but was only getting started with saltwater fish on the fly. And that was a long time ago. Right now, I'd have to say I pretty much suck at it!

Been thinking I might switch to spinning gear for a while, until I get better at locating the fish, then get back to the fly rod. Maybe even take a step further down the fishing evolutionary scale, and go with "bait." :shock:

No idea why I insist on doing things the hard way. Must be nutz! :lol:

So far, I seem to find myself there when the trip back to the ramp means paddling into a headwind and against the incoming tide. On my next trip, if the tide is out when I get there, maybe I'll get smart and head more towards the Gulf. At least that way, I won't have to work against the tide to get back.

As for the wind, I'm convinced it will simply change so I'll have to paddle into it, no matter which way I start out. 8)

For me, it seems that a day on the water requires a full day of rest & recovery to follow.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mike,

Yer a lucky son of a gun. Mitey fine fishin' hole there. I bet the sunset iz swell too. If we had a group, I sho would like ta paddle somethin' like that on a moonlit nite. Do they sell tide charts at the bait shop? :wink:

regards
bearridge

Continued dependence upon welfare induces a spiritual disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fiber. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. Franklin D. Roosevelt

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mike,

I know nothing about fly fishing and less than that about catching the species you guys have but I would bloody LOVE to work some 2 inch surface poppers over those bars on a rising tide. :D

I like the get the "bloop, bloop" thing happening and watch the explosive "boofs" at the fish smash my lures.. :D :D

Here, I find most of my best fish fairly close to the boat ramp. The stink boaters are all in too much of a hurry to get somewhere else to properly work it.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Noisy top-water flies similar to those used for Bass in freshwater are also used here in saltwater, and I'm tying some up, today. Really noisy ones (poppers,) and some a little more subtle (sliders.) One that I did have some luck with in the past in both fresh and salt was a variation of the Dahlberg Diver.

Most of the people (the few I've actually seen, anyway,) put their powerboats in at the ramp and then go out towards the Gulf. From here, they have direct access to one of the largest grass flats on Florida's Gulf coast. Some do go the other way, into the backcountry, but most of those are "locals" who know the waters. And I've been told that a spare prop is standard equipment, even for them.

The hard bottom and oyster bars can bring the depth from 15 to 20 feet, right up to within inches of the surface, very suddenly. When the tide is moving, these spots can be seen if you are paying attention. The surface disturbance is the same as you'd expect on a river.

In between the keys, there are large, grass-covered flats. Many are just too shallow for a boat with a motor and most people don't seem to take the time to use a push pole.

Even though the area has earned the reputation for holding all kinds of fish year round, it's only the serious angler who ventures into the backcountry, and most of them fish on the weekends. This is why I often will have nearly the whole place to myself.

It's just going to take some time for me to learn how to fish the area and I'll have a lot of fun doing it. Might even save up my pennies and hire a guide for a day of "lessons" on fishing this marvelous estuary.

I haven't gotten to the point yet where not catching fish is bothering me. The place is just too beautiful for that. I'll keep at it and I'm certain that my "luck" will change.

Besides, I don't think "luck" is the real issue, it's "knowledge,' of the local kind. I've no idea how to change luck, but the knowledge thing is easily corrected.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mate, the way you describe the country there sounds remarkably similar to here. :D I have been working topwater lures here for a couple of years now with remarkable success.

I would be inclined to put in at low tide a few times and just float quietly and slowly up stream with the tide and watch what is going on. You will soon learn what the fish are up to :D.

I have heard stories of huge tarpon in waters around there. Our tarpon are only small by comparison, with one over about 5 pounds being considered big. They are the same species however and I would imagine they have similar feeding habits.

Hook up to a 5 pounder in a pirogue in shallow water and all heck breaks loose :D I can only dream about what it would be like to latch onto one of the animals you blokes have. :twisted: :D Certain times of the year, I would also expect to see bluefish working those flats. :D We call them tailer and they are great fun from a paddlecraft. :D (toothy little buggers)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's...

I am not bragging , it is just proven fact that these fly's work.

A buddy and I went threw a lot of them on a two week trip in the 10,000 islands and caught all sorts of salt water fish on them. They would get the fish for us when nothing else would. Especially the Red's , they tore them up and we keep a few for supper.

Mac is always bugging me to make more for him for fresh water fishing , they out fish the minnows he likes to use for specks (crappie for Yankees) He was using three poles with the minnows and one with this fly on it , guess which one was getting the fish , Hint ... It was not the minnows. :roll:

They are easy , actually very simple to make and do produce the fish for you , reds , trout and just about anything in the salt water loves them , fresh water the bream and bass along with specks.

If you want to try making one here is the post about them and describing how to make them. They are like the boats we make , made our way.

"O" Non fly fishermen can make them on a jig head and still catch fish. Those are what I make for Mac since he does not use a buggy whip (Fly Rod).

http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=130

Chuck.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
We do have one called a "blue," bluefish," or 'blue runner," not sure if it's the same as yours, but it is also a "toothy little bugger." Large schools of them on the East coast, not quite a numerous on the West coast.

In my area, it's the redfish that's known for it's "tailing" on the flats, like the bonefish further South. Almost fished out of existence due to one good recipe, it's made a good come-back and is much sought after as a game fish.

The local "Big Three" are redfish, snook, and specs, or speckled sea trout. All three in a day constitutes a "grand slam." Some will include Tarpon in that list. Around here, a tarpon up to 60 pounds is considered a "baby," but still a fish to seek out.

I'll definitely try to get out there on a low tide. Lots can be seen then that is only hinted at during high tides. The tidal flow in this area is surprisingly strong, but that's a lot of water moving in and out of a large area, so where ever it gets shallow, it really rips!

I know I should be paying attention to these "rips" and targeting fish on the downstream side of the underwater structure that causes them. Another fascination is finding redfish feeding in the very shallow spots, so shallow that their tails are visible, sometimes their entire backs are out of the water.

Time. Time and patience is what I need.

The first I have in good supply, the second. . . Well, I'm working on it! :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
HeyChuck,

Thanks for the link mate. Been meaning to have a crack at this fly fishing thing for a few years now.

Mike, this is a small Aussie Tailer. I didn't catch this one.

tailer.jpg

We call the small ones Choppers because of their habit of "chopping" the tailes off bait fish. propably where the name Tailer came from too :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Mick,

Does look a lot like the local "bluefish." Some people fish for them, some use them for bait!

Chuck,

I read several post about that fly, but only managed to locate a single picture of it. So, I grabbed it, cropped it, and enlarged it a bit.

This the one?

sparkeyfly.jpg

Looks like a winner to me! :D

Here's one I'm going to put to the test on my next trip to Ozello, well, this one and maybe half-a-box-full of some others. . . It's Ron's Redchaser.

RonsRedchaser.jpg

They are tied on a hook that's bent at the eye like a jig hook. With lead dumbbell eyes, they act just like a jig and are fished the same way, only with a fly rod. I tied one large one, (on top,) and two on the standard #4 hook, per the pattern. The one on the right is a "stealth" version, with no weight. (Lands very softly, sinks very slowly.)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
FlaMike said:
Mick,

Does look a lot like the local "bluefish." Some people fish for them, some use them for bait!

Chuck,

I read several post about that fly, but only managed to locate a single picture of it. So, I grabbed it, cropped it, and enlarged it a bit.

This the one?

sparkeyfly.jpg

Looks like a winner to me! :D

That is one Swampy tied up and the original idea.

Since then the body is wrapped with the chenille ( clear or white) and the flash is tied on facing forward over the eye of the hook and then reversed out over the backside and tied over the 1st tieing at the head or just behind it.
I leave it untrimmed off the tail and don't trim it like in the picture so it has more movement or swimming action to it.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mike,

Reference our comment about a GPS. Here is my experience. First off, I use a mapping system that provides ALL the topo maps for the CONUS. Go to http://www.expertgps.com/ and try a trial version. Then if you like it, the lifetime license is about $75.

You can track yourself using the breadcrumb trail of a GPS right on the map, on our screen, then print off the maps at any scale you want.

For a GPS instrument, (bring $$ or start prudently.) take a look at http://www.garmin.com/ Go to the hand held stuff. Under $200 will get you a very nice unit that will integrate with ExpertGPS topo maps.

You can use this combination many ways. You can go to a place, record locations, and plot them on a map to return or show others.

You can view an area on the topos BEFORE you ever go there, establish landmarks (bridges, points of land, river inlets, etc.) and get the Lat/Long from the map, and make it a GPS waypoint. This will then download directly into your GPS instrument, and you can have an electronic route for a location to which you have never been BEFORE you go there. This makes navigation a lot easier, more certain, and safer.

You can travel an area that is full of obstacles, lay a breadcrumb trail, then navigate it either forwards or backwards in the dark by following the breadcrumb trail within the GPS instrument.

Email me if you have any questions.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I'm likely a bit anal retentive, but I like to know (1) where I am, (2) where I'm going, and (3) how to get there from here. (These three questions, by the way, are the only thing you have to answer to successfully navigate around the world.)

Even going to a familiar area, I enjoy watching the instrument work, and try out various features. That way, when in a strange location or under duress, I have a familiarity with it. Meaning, of course, that I can get lost with much more elan than otherwise possible.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
You can travel an area that is full of obstacles, lay a breadcrumb trail, then navigate it either forwards or backwards in the dark by following the breadcrumb trail within the GPS instrument.

Beg to differ mate.

GPS can be very accurate or up to several miles out. It all depends on whether the US military are playing with it or not. UNLESS you have access to the data to correct the vairiances put in by your millitary.

It is a very dangerous game to rely solely on GPS for navigation. Nothing can substitute for good judgement, real visual aids ie land-marks and accurate compass bearings. IMHO.

Very few paddlecraft ever leave sight of land unless in heavy fog and even then, they should not be out there. GPS is just another navigational aid. it should NEVER be relied upon to take the place of an accurate and properly calibrated compass. IMHO

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mick,

Thanks for catching my wild pitch. Your cautions are correct.

The accuracy, however, has been remedied. A few years ago the intentional screwing around with it stopped. (Selective Availability it was called.) Now, accuracy within 16'-20' is my norm. That lets me know whether it's the front of the boat - or the back of the boat.

Back to navigating without GPS. Map & compass skills should be learned first. And, spend an extra few bucks, get a compass that adjusts for magnetic declination. Do EVERYTHING in True North. Don't screw around with the magnetic stuff.

Magnetic was OK for Magellan; he had no choice. But today we have choice. Make the smart one & get an adjustable compass and use True North.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Appreciate the concerns, but I've been navigating at sea and on land for quite a few years, mostly depending upon low-tech methods. Picked up a lot of it on my own, and the military filled in some of the blanks for me.

Problem with the Ozello Keys is the lack of landmarks. Many little islands that can change their shapes radically, with the passing of a single storm. The standard nautical charts of the area are quite useless, as the waters for the most part, aren't considered to be "navigatable."

Satellite maps are pretty good, but still often out-dated.

I've had no problem finding my way out and back, nor do I expect to. But having a set of waypoints would certailnly make things easier, especially should I put myself in the postion of having to make a return in limited visibility, or under some form of duress.

Using the GPS to record favorite locations so they could be easily returned to would be nice, and would make it easy to share the location with others, if I were so inclined.

I'd no more depend upon a GPS to get me there and back exclusively, than I would trust to an infernal combustion engine to do the same. (One reason I prefer the paddle and pole.) :)

Don't tell, but I mentioned the GPS could be considered a "saftey device" in order to get the idea past the "CFO," aka: the lady of the house. :shock:

If no one rats me out, I figure the odds of my getting this neat toy are pretty good. :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Jack and Mike, Sorry for the rant guys, I should have known you two were way smarter than that.

There are those around now who rely exclusively on the GPS to navigate and that concerns me.

It is a few years since I used one and most recently used them to put me in the general vicinity of well offshore sea mounts for fishing from a powered launch.

Last time was in 1999 and back then the military was allmost allways playing with the satelites and if GPS could get me with half a mile of my desired location, it was a good day.

Coming in from Masthead Island to Gladstone one trip in a severe storm I made the mistake of relying on my GPS. Distance was 27 sea miles and course was 230 - magnetic. I knew it by heart but I had my lovely new whizz bang GPS and steered by it.

Long story short, I was driving an old Carvel hull, plank cruiser 30 feet long with a maximum speed of about 6 and a bit knots. I was averaging around five knots in 15 to 20 foot following seas with about a 4 foot breaking chop on top. Some of the sets were bigger than that and each time one came up behind me, my heart was in my mouth and I was expecting it to break on my back deck. None did, thank goodness. My mate was lying there in his own vomit and was too sea sick to care.

Vis was very poor with driving rain and howling SE winds that were recorded in excess of 50 knots at the weather station in Gladstone. When land eventually came into sight, According to my GPS I should have been just off the northern entrance to the Gladstone Harbour. Instead, I saw the towering cliffs of Black Head about 300 yards in front of me, some 5 miles to the north of the harbour entrance.

A very quick turn to port and I punched into these seas for a further 3 hours to cover the five miles back to safety.

In normal circumstance, I would not have even been out there in those conditions, but we went to bed off Masthead Island the night before and the forecast was fine. When we woke up, a low pressure system had develloped a couple of hundred miles to the north and we decided to make a run for shelter before it got too bad. It got too bad, shortly after we left the marginal shelter of Masthead Island and was too rough to turn around.

I learned my leson that trip.