Intro from Louisiana | SouthernPaddler.com

Intro from Louisiana

LSUh20fowler

Sep 18, 2013
Just got signed up here. Been looking around for a couple of days and realized that I needed to be here. Lots of really talented folks doing fine work. I live in Ville Platte,LA. Just a plain ole fella from the woods. I do the normal hunt, fish, etc. I train labs for duck hunting and collect duck calls. I work offshore for BP. I spend my 14 days home trying to kill anything I can cook. When I'm not in the woods, I make paracord stuff, like dog leashes, gun slings, just about anything. I also do "stippling" work on polymer guns, which lead me to try it on wood. My first victim was an old cheap paddle I've had for I don't know how many years. Sanded it down and started burning wood. Then I needed something else to burn, so I went in the shop and shaped out my first paddle from a 1 x 8 piece of pine I had. Got it burned but didn't have time to stain it before I had to come back to work. Plan on buying me some cypress on my way home and making some more paddles. Don't know much about it all yet, but looks like I have a lot of reading to do to get educated on different paddle designs and techniques. Looking forward to learning from ya'll. Thanks for having me as a member.

LSUh20fowler

Sep 18, 2013
I do plan on building a pirogue one day. I have my flatbottom boat I use for hunting and fishing and my 16ft canoe. I've never been much of a carpenter so I'm taking baby steps at this woodworking stuff. I really enjoyed making the paddle.

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Nice work on the paddles. I'm a newbie here too, but have learned a lot reading through the various forums.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Howdy, LSU! Welcome aboard.

Ville Platte is an interesting place to visit when we camp at Chicot State Park.

Mike

LSUh20fowler

Sep 18, 2013
seedtick said:
you know Joey Hamlin?
he claims to be from Ville Platte, but he might be from Turkey Creek
No sir, don't know many people around here. I live about 10 miles from Turkey Creek. My wife transplanted me here 15 yrs ago but I mostly stay quiet and to myself. I enjoy the company of my dog and quietness of the woods. :D

mike said:
Howdy, LSU! Welcome aboard.
Ville Platte is an interesting place to visit when we camp at Chicot State Park.
Mike
I fish Chicot probably 12 of the 14 days I'm home. Its a tough lake to fish. Not a lake to catch numbers on but it has some good quality fish. And you can't beat the scenery.

oldsparkey said:
LSU..
I should of mentioned this when we were talking on the back channels when you were signing on with us .
Several of us do the wood burning on paddles and even some wood carving. Or should I say have done some since it has been a couple of years since I did any.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7018&hilit=paddles
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and picking up some good tips. Thats some nice work ya'll do. If I can do half as good as ya'll I'll be happy. I'm out on the water fishing just about everyday I'm home but not nearly in my canoe as much as I should. Never been in a kayak but grew up canoeing on the river.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
nice art work. thanks for sharing . man 14 days I would know how to act? I would be done killed all the deer and caught all the fish. :D :lol: :mrgreen: I guess your out a lot at times too?

LSUh20fowler

Sep 18, 2013
Basically it all equates to working half the year. Throw in some training here and there on my off days. But its normally 14 on and 14 off. But it sucks to miss holidays and family events when they fall on my days working. Got 18 yrs out here so I'm stuck here now. :D

LSUh20fowler

Sep 18, 2013
oldsparkey said:
LSUh20fowler said:
But its normally 14 on and 14 off. But it sucks to miss holidays and family events when they fall on my days working. Got 18 yrs out here so I'm stuck here now. :D

Oil Rig ?

Deepwater production platform for BP called " Atlantis". Currently producing approx. 124000 barrels of oil per day.