It aint gwine ta be long now...... | SouthernPaddler.com

It aint gwine ta be long now......

A

Anonymous

Fellas,

Since our friend andrewp haz been slackin' off lately, I reckon I'll jest ask some questions myownself.....even if they aint near bout az good. :wink:

How long before a paddle/camp expedishun do ya'll git excited?

Iz it when ya start lookin' fer yer gear?

Iz it when the calendar on the wall sez its so many days 'er weeks off?

Iz it when a fine spring day drops by 'n stays a while?

Iz it when ya start workin' ya arse off tryin' ta git everthin' done before ya leave out?

Iz it when ya start packin' up?

Iz it when ya fill up with gas? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Iz it when ya shove in some fine road music 'n head off inta the sunrise?

Iz it when ya git ta dreamin'...........day 'er nite?

Fer me its all of 'em. Rite now our calendar sez it aint but three Saturdays frum the next one. Reminds me when I wuz a little pardner countin' the days til Ole Santa Claude brung me a fine surprize fer bein' good......well, seems hiz spies aint no better'n the ones we got on the guviment payroll.

I show do hope everbody iz plannin' a expedishun theyownself.....even if its jest Fri-Sun. I git excited bout them too. :lol:

regards,

bearridge
bodine expedishunary society
paddlin' geezer canoe clud
neo-luddite

It likely wont be long til the trip reports start rollin' in frum everwhere! :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
bearridge said:
How long before a paddle/camp expedishun do ya'll git excited?
About a year and a half
bearridge said:
Iz it when ya start lookin' fer yer gear?
Off & on for a year or so, then helter-skelter for about a week. (WHERE iz that damned boat???)

bearridge said:
Iz it when the calendar on the wall sez its so many days 'er weeks off?
About a year and a half

bearridge said:
Iz it when ya start workin' ya arse off tryin' ta git everthin' done before ya leave out?
About a week

bearridge said:
Iz it when ya start packin' up?
About 2-3 days

bearridge said:
Iz it when ya fill up with gas? :cry: :cry: :cry:
The very morning. Riders pay for fuel & I start out with a full tank & they fill it up again at the other end.

bearridge said:
Iz it when ya shove in some fine road music 'n head off inta the sunrise?
Books on tape. Atticus Finch type Mockingbird a favorite. BONUS QUESTION: Who played the part of Boo Radley in the movie??

bearridge said:
Iz it when ya git ta dreamin'...........day 'er nite?
All year long. That's how I go to sleep almost every night. I see the moon over the trees; loons on the water; merganzer ducks in a little parade of businessman-like array; hear hoot owls across the bay; smell the wood smoke and feel the sting of it in my eyes.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear

All I can say is ..... all of the above to your questions.

I start looking forward to the trip when the idea 1st hits me and start planning a trip. The boats are readied for the next trip when I get home from the last one, they are checked over, cleaned and readied for the next river run.

The camping gear is cleaned (just like the boats) at the end of a trip then packed and ready for the next trip. The sleeping bag is stored in a loose container so it is not compressed (keeps the loft in it) and that is usually the last item packed for the trip.

Use to lose a lot of sleep the night before a trip, laying in bed and trying to think of what I forgot to pack so now days I have a list and everything is marked off and placed in the backpack or bags. No rechecking this way or forgetting anything ... like the paddles or boat.
The food (last minute items from the grocery store) is picked up the day before the trip, the dried foods and they are already in the pack

You could safely say that when I finish a trip and get home in a day or two, at the most, I am ready for another trip, even if it just an overnight one.

I learned from Jack and Swampy you can't afford to waste any time when you get that old .... so I am in traning for when I get there.....I have several years to get there and should have a good system worked out by then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I think Jack sumed it up for me.
The Spirit of adventure plus the thoughts of meeting friends along the path, the wonders of God's creation, the challenge in preparing and selecting the "right" equipment. The chatter of all who advise and give direction/information. The collecting of all such and making up the mind what to take and what to leave behind. Then "gas day"!
Yeah, I get excited even now... and for more than one trip!

Let's see.... Fall in Canada, and spring in Arkansaw! Then all those little get aways inbetween! The this forum to keep the spark alive... ( no pun there Charles!) :wink: :lol:

Yep! This post even gets me thrilled! lol
swampy

Pirogue

When do I get excited about a trip? All of the above.

With some things, I do not have a lot of patience. Once I get an idea in my head, I want to do it…..Right away.

I think about it from the original idea thru the weeks leading up to the trip. It gets especially bad a couple days before I go. My BWCA trip next year is always bouncing in my head. My trip to the commercial hell of Cherokee, NC in July is getting ready to get me going. The little trips to Cockroach Bay are anticipated a couple days before I go. Those only last a couple hours.

The mornings I go out, I almost always beat the alarm clock.

The truck is gassed and loaded the night before. Clothes, they are laying in the bathroom. I want to wake up and walk right out the door.

We are lucky here in Florida. The only thing holding us back are the occasional Hurricanes or Tropical Storms. However, Chuck seems quite adept at paddling in those situations.

When in the truck, and I am solo, unless there is good talk on the AM, I drop in a CD. I am partial to Pink Floyd, Alainis Morrisette, Fiona Apple, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Dave Matthews, Etc. My wife just got me a CD from the Blue Man Group. Fantastic road music. On the road, it is played loud.

When I get to the launch. No music. I don’t want to hear it.

So many trips, so little time. I hate this office. But without it, I could never be able to do what I enjoy.

This weekend, we are camping Ft. Desoto. My mind is wandering. The site is right on the water. The canoe will be right behind the pop up all weekend.

Do I fly fish? Should I pick up some live bait? Will my daughter catch her first sea trout or will that broad shouldered redfish put a bend in her fishing rod? How will she react when the dolphin surfaces 15 feet from the canoe?

These are running thru my mind as I sit here and try to figure out how to I can pick up that $190k shortfall of the forecast.

Is the 190k important or my camping trip? Honestly, show me the money. But, in my heart, it is getting away that is more important.

At night, as I wind down getting ready to go to sleep, I lay there and try to relax. While I relax, my mind is often going on different paddling trips. Kissimmee River, Shell Key, BWCA. It’s how I cope.

I always anticipate getting out. The anticipation really never goes away.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
WHEN DO I GET EXCITED ABOUT A TRIP?

Whenever I think of going...about 3 times per day. I usually have the van packed at all times, just can't get away that often.

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
I was out turkey hunting this week, Monday and Tuesday.,and I am happy to say that the AuSable river Is very High. Havnt seen it this high in years, hope I dont get swept up in it this weekend, ITS TROUT OPENER. Hurray we can fish the river again, it hasnt been fished since late September. Draino

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Draino, how was the turkey hunting? I saw many turkeys west of the Au Sable near and in the Pere Marquette River area around Baldwin last fall. This was in a county nt known for its turkey flocks. I can only immagine what it was in those counties that reported higher numbers.

A dinner of trout and turkey would be a fine one!

swampy

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
Twas very windy on Monday the opener and the birds were quiet, or I couldnt hear them and they couldnt hear me. tuesday was better but got cutoff by another hunter( He setup his decoy on the 2-track). I only had one reply gobble and he seemed to be going away. This weekend i will be back there with the kids, More to report then. Turkey hunt,trout fish,turkey hunt,trout fish. Next week the boat comes home from storage and then Ill be Salmon fishing, YAHOO.

Draino

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Draino: Glad to see one of the canoing guys into turkey hunting and salmon fishing. I t's been too cool to do any fiberglassing and/or varnishing on the two canoes I have ready for those steps so I have been working on paddles. Normally when I set up just outside my workshop door I can look out over the fields (barren of any crops right now ) and see the tom turkeys strutting and occasionally mating the hens but so far only occassionally seeing one or two just walking around. So far I haven't heard any gobbling or activity indicating the mating season has started. My wife and I walked down the lane today (it's a little more than half a mile North to the fenceline) and saw lots of places where the turkeys have been dusting in the corn stubble, but still no calling going on. A timber buyer marked some trees he wants to buy so we walked back there to see which ones he marked. Walking thru the woods we ran across three turkey decoys. I said to her someone is turkey hunting here---asked out loud OK where are you guys. Two guys stood up from behind their blind and identified themselves. They were guys I had previously given permission to deer hunt and now they were taking advantage of it and helped themselves to turkey hunting too. Typical. I let them hunt but had to lay down the law and said they can only hunt each time they ask. I have to know who is back there because of liability concerns. They are good old boys but give them inch and like so many young people today they helped themselves to a mile. They reported however that had only heard one tom gobble and no hens talking. It appears to be too early. Got back to the barn (boat warehouse) and took off the tarp from the Cobia 22 footer and checked her out getting ready for the salmon fishing. Been awful windy though so won't plan on taking her out for a couple of weeks. Ate lunch and went back to sanding on some canoe paddles (outside in the wind--sure blows the dust away) and looking over some 16 foot juniper and aromatic Southern red cedar I brought back from Florida. Got to get ready to rip them into 1/4 inch strips fr a couple more canoes. Been following the talk about the Buffalo run and would like to take that trip if things work out. Looking forward to you, Swampy and Chuck coming over this fall on the way to the Wawa area trip this fall. Later. Al (Dapper?) Dasen.

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Hey Draino and Swampy and all you other hunters. Just got to report this. It's 6:36PM and just got up from the supper table, looked out the kitchen window (which overlooks a 42 acre corn stubble field) and saw a glob of black objects walk around on the crest of a hill. Thought--that's not the group of geese we usually see--not the 5 or 6 sand hill cranes that come and go out there--nope I bet those are turkeys. Ran upstairs where I could look down on them with my trusty binoculars and sure as tootin they were/are turkeys. ------eight (8) of em. Three Jakes and five hens. No boss Tom, but I bet there will be some join them tomorrow. It's started--the mating season. Look out Tom I'm comin after you.

So Draino you should have more action this next week. Rain is predicted starting about 5AM tomorrow so I probably will wait a day or two before setting up my deeks and going after em. Will report later on what action I encounter. On canoeing. My son Mike drifted the Shiawassee with one of his buddies yestereday and they got several smallmouth--the biggest one was 21 inches. They don't keep any of them but I would liked to have seen that one. I hope to get out there myself and cast a few and catch a few. He used a purple plastic worm to catch his smallies. Later--hey the action is picking up around here. Al Dasen.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
AWWWW Spring time! The turkeys are loafing and the fish are swallowing.... and I'm having to work! :shock:

Red fish are in shore in the river now. Can't get the tides to co-operate with my schedule! :?

Al looking forward to this fall. I still am looking to take some pictures of the woodland cariblou!

swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Bonus Question - Who's Boo?

Go back up to my post on this - and my bonus question.

In "To Kill A Mockingbird", who played the part of Boo Radley?

(Twilight Zone music here):
Na NAH na Nahhh - Na NAH na Nahhh - Na NAH na Nahhh

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Sorry but I cannot answer your question about who killed the mocker ..... Just to interested in this turkey hunt ..... Turkeys are a lot better eating and a darn site bigger.

I will take a guess on the answer to your question ... could it of been Clinton, either of them Mr. or Mrs. They have done some weird things in the past and both of them have been booed randomly or regularly but deservedly :D Just not sure if they were Boo Radley.

Jack ... calm down and just count to 10 really s l o w le y .. Now don't you fell better :?:

Chuck.
By the way if you are talking about the 1962 movie ....Robert Duvall was really good in his part as the arthur__________..... Darn , who was Sheriff , Heck Tate :?: I SHOULD KNOW THAT :wink:

I told you sammy and you that ton is over there frank. "O"oooops wrong post. Sorry.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck, you're as subtle as a shotgun. Richard Boone was Heck Ramsey. I don't know about a Heck Tate; was that Sharon's brother?

And, you knew who was Boo Radley and almost disclosed it.

Am I supposed to count to 10 in Roman numerals? I'll need Swampus Numericus to help me with that task.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Jack, I gave you the answer about the Sheriff (Heck Tate) in the last sentence I posted. Just reversed the name ...... :?

I told sammy and you that ton is over there frank. "O"oooops wrong post. Sorry.

Frank Overton :D
"Gawrsh, Mickey, I'm just too bashful to do it." You snuck in the Overton guy.

Leads to my next queston - who was Heck Tate and Frank Overton? I missed that connection altogether. Movie? Book? TV? Comic book? Cereal box?

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
Back again form the Great White North. Two straight weekends up there and my batteries are almost recharged I.E. Happy to be back to work. believe it. Well my turkey license is over for the year, I had the first week. I know of one of the locals that filled his tag on Friday. I didnt fill mine,but thats ok. plenty of other hunters need their chance to, besides I have a million things to do on my plate The trout were a little finicky as usual and the kids wernt into hiking in the woods to get at em, I'll have to do that on my own. Say Jack I dont know that movie is it black and white with subtitles, I aint a fast reader and those things drive me crazy. Maybe I can do the next one. Draino

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
draino said:
(SNIP) Say Jack I dont know that movie is it black and white with subtitles, I aint a fast reader and those things drive me crazy. Maybe I can do the next one. Draino
All right, you smart assed Yankee drummer! Black & white yes; sub-titles no. Gregory Peck yes; Ellen Degeneris or Rosy O'Donnell no.