IT'S ALIVE...IT'S ALIVE | SouthernPaddler.com

IT'S ALIVE...IT'S ALIVE

papachoochoo

Jul 30, 2007
Tyler, Texas
It floats with me in it anyway.
Showed up at the Neches Race at 7:30 this morning with the pirogue. There were 60 + people there registered to race, with a total of four wood boats. I've decided there are three kinds of boat people: Aluminun, plactic, and wood. The Aluminum people are a hard, fast living group. They drag, pull, drop, throw and kick their boats, trying to get as many dents as possible in their boats. The Plastic people are a lot like the Alumnium folks except their boats don't dent. The Wood people lovingly take their boats down from the trucks, gently carry them to the launch site. Will stand around and talk about the boats for hours if time permits.
I did have lots of comments about my boat, all postive. However the Alumnium and Plastic people all said about the same thing after walking away shaking their heads: " that's sure pretty, but I could never build that and wouldn't want to have to take care of it".
canoe%20race1.jpg

canoe%20race%205.jpg

tims%20night%20heron.jpg

I didn't enter the race, after most of the people left I put in and paddled around for awhile, took some getting used to, she floats and paddles and turns and I love her......
on%20the%20hard.jpg

in%20the%20water_2.jpg

comming%20in%20to%20dock.jpg

going%20around%20the%20bend.jpg

Yes, I'm already planning my next WOOD boat. Thanks to all of yall for the support and advice. I'll post some of my adventures with the pirogue and fly fishing here in East Texas. Looking forward to many many good days ahead.

papachoochoo

EVER FORWARD, BUT SLOWLY

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Papa,

:D

The Aluminum people are a hard, fast living group. They drag, pull, drop, throw and kick their boats, trying to get as many dents as possible in their boats. The Plastic people are a lot like the Alumnium folks except their boats don't dent.

Mate that pretty much says it all. :D These people treat their boats with the contempt that their horrible plastic and aluminium boats deserve. :D

About the only good thing about em is that they float, IMHO

Ya just need to compare them to your beautiful boat. Nah, ya can't do that. There is no comparison. :D

Yours has style, grace and class not to mention is a thing of beauty, while theirs are just boats.

she floats and paddles and turns and I love her......

GOODONYAMAAAATE. :D :D :D

Reactions: FrankAS

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This picture looks to me like one happy paddler .

in%20the%20water_2.jpg

" that's sure pretty, but I could never build that and wouldn't want to have to take care of it".

Some of us respect our boats and the wilderness while wanting to take care of them and be a harmonious part of nature.

While others just want to do what ever they do which is usually not that good for anything including there tin can or plastic boats and nature.:evil:

Chuck
PS. Let them get a few more years on then , then they will wise up.

papachoochoo

Jul 30, 2007
Tyler, Texas
plane wood

RiverRat,
my boards were 1 X 17 and 9'long. I used a table saw to rip them into 1/4" X 1" strips, 9' long. Built my panels from that. I figure there's at least 50 board feet of saw dust under the table saw. Still looking for a use of all that cedar saw dust.

papachoochoo

DO I HEAR 40 DOLLARS 404040404040GIVE ME 50

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Bag up the cedar sawdust and present it to ladies on Christmas as po-purees (HIH is that spelled?)

Aluminum boats are good for escaping an advancing enemy. Also, for indicating a paddler's IQ. Also for telling all wildlife within forty to fifty miles where you are.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Hey Pappaho
Take a square peice of cloth, put a pile of cedar sawdust in it and bring the sides of the cloth up and twist it and tie it off. Now you hace a little bag of cedar sawdust to give te wemmen folk to hang in their closets. They will love you for it.
Bob

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
oldsparkey said:
This picture looks to me like one happy paddler .

in%20the%20water_2.jpg
Mornin';
Hey! Is it just me? ....Old Sparky, did you use "PaPaChooChoo" as a model for the caracture on the Southern Paddler Forum's WebSite. "Ploop" him on a gator, and he's a dead ringer :lol:

Looks good ChooChoo. Also looks like you had a good time. Well Done. :wink:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey papa pooch that is a nice looking boat. Some people want take care of anything regardless of what its built out of. :evil:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
From what I hear, most people don't throw them away. . . Not after a single use, anyway.

But once you sit down in them, you do have to "burp" them, just like the other Tupperware. :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Papa..

Just saw your pics. I love the look. Sheena's talkin' about us puttin in the Neches up your way and takin' 'er all the way home... Tho' I don't think she's aware of that portage we'd need to make at Dam B. But her talkin' 'bout it has got me wantin' to fight that climb an' tote t' get by the dam. While we probly won't be makin the messabout, maybe we can catch up to you if we do make this river run the way she's wantin t' do.
As far as I'm concerned there's no better way of spending father/daughter time...unless of course it's in the shop buildin' somethin'.

Beauty of a boat, friend. I admire your work and your choice of water.

On the south end of the Neches

Steve

papachoochoo

Jul 30, 2007
Tyler, Texas
Neches River

Hey Steve,
My freind Tim Taylor who ran the Neches Wilderness Race this year made the trip in 5 1/2 hours (20 miles ). He said he had to get out of his kayak 8 times to go over or around trees and one dead cow. Your trip sounds like a great time, however think about the water level. Here at the Lake Palestine Dam it can vary as much as three feet, and only thirty feet wide in most places. Keep the idea in mind though, would be a trip to talk about forever. I'll be glad to travel some of it with you or be the pick up man, aka "man in the nice dry bug free truck".
papachoochoo

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Papachoochoo, love the look of that cedar under glass. It's cool that you combined strip construction and panel construction- the best of both worlds.