It's That Time Of The Year | SouthernPaddler.com

It's That Time Of The Year

sackett

Sep 26, 2007
It's time for "RAMPS" . Never had'em till last year when I got back to WV. Man I can't git enuf of'um. Dug the first of the season the other day. Had'em wif bacon 'n fried taters for supper,,,,,,,,,,,,liked to of hurt myself. Brought some home wif me (snuck home for valentines day) made "RampDip" for the mens bible study the other night,it was a real hit.
Anybody else eat'em?

sackett

Sep 26, 2007
If you read the Wiki link,in the culinary part they mention the town of Richwood WV,I'm only about 15 miles from there,and plan to attend the festival this year. I got to meet last years "Ramp Queen" this past summer

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I live just over the border in PA, My Sis and brother-in-law live in Morgantown and go to that festival every now and again. I remember on my paps dairy farm the cows would get into those and when you drank the milk it smelled and tasted like those things. :oops: I like onion and garlic but not in the milk! :( :(

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Pungent

Pungent, they are!
One summer job I had in the last century was toting block for the masons on a school construction site in Waynesville, NC.
Turns out some of the mountain folk working there would have their breakfast which included RAMPS by the block pile. They ate them like a shallot or green onion and left the ends lying about. By mid-day in the heat, those left overs really got stinky!
One of the old mountaineers told us the Cherokee would let the babies gnaw on Ramps so they could find them in the dark if they started crying at night.
Here are some we dug while riding some trails in the mountains last spring.

[/img]

I don't care for them raw, but they do cook up nice with some things.

Don't think I'd be wanting to kiss no Ramp Queen if she had been tasting them. :roll:

sackett

Sep 26, 2007
Shoooooeeee Pungent,
That's them ,I ain't got no good pics,don't know how ta post'em nohow. Now take them ramps as pictured,slip that outside sheath off,clip thr roots off,a quick rinse an they're ready ta cook.That many is about half a serving or less!!!!! Cook ever how much bacon you want for a meal,save enuff of the grease to cook ever howmany eggs ya want,plus a little. Take them rinsed ramps,chop'em ,tops 'n all,an cook till good 'n tender,add eggs,cook till eggs are as done as you like'em . "NUM YUMMY"

The onlyest self defence around ramp eaters is ta join'em, cause ya just can't beat'em.Headin back Wed mornin