J-stroke effective in a pirogue? | SouthernPaddler.com

J-stroke effective in a pirogue?

Scooter

If you're sitting in the middle of a pirogue, will the j-stroke keep you going straight?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem most effective when seated in the rear of a canoe where it can push the back end opposite the turning tendency of the boat.

Think my peerow would sink if I sat in the end of it! :shock:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I paddle my pirogue , actually all of them , sitting just off center (Back) of the center rib.

When I do that and use a canoe paddle , I use the J Stroke and it goes where I want it to. It works just as well with the Quarter Stroke , the Full Sweep ,the Backwater Stroke , the Draw Stroke , the Sculling Draw or the Diagonal Draw.
For slipping along and making no sound then it is the Underwater Stroke and nothing will know you are in the area. You can slip right up on anything using it, even sunbathers (female types) on the river bank , even pass by them and they never know you are there. Unless you cough at just the right time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is an acquired art , learned over a few years , I was paddling a canoe before most kids are riding a bicycle. By the way .... I DO NOT switch sides with every other stroke , it is paddle on one side for several hours and then switch if you need to , Usually I don't. Start on one side and stay there all day.

Going upstream or wanting to cover some distance then it is a kayak paddle. The rest of the time it is a canoe paddle. I like them because they are quieter then a kayak paddle and you can slip up on more wild life.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
You can slip right up on anything using it, even sunbathers (female types) on the river bank , even pass by them and they never know you are there. I like them because they are quieter then a kayak paddle and you can slip up on more wild life.
Mister High Sheriff,

The only reason ya aint a dirty ole man iz cuz ya turn bottom upwards ever now 'n then. That makes ya a clean, dirty ole man. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge
sideways bound

The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know, that a financial element in the large centers has owned the government of the U.S. since the days of Andrew Jackson. Franklin D. Roosevelt

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Scooter, I have to tell ya, I wouldn't give two hoots in hell for a single paddle. They are half of the tool. A kayak paddle does it all.

A "J" stroke is likely the most inefficient stroke you can possibly use. Much of it works to slow down the boat. Not good.

A kayak paddle can be silent too. Remember - kayaks are stealth hunting boats. Draw the paddle straight out of the water by pulling the paddle in line with the shaft. Place the blade in the water the same way. When doing this, you will be bending your elbows and paddling with your arms, not your back.

If you are applying power as the blade enters or leaves the water, there will be some cavitation and noise. Introduce no air, make no ripples and any blade will be silent.

In the meantime, with a kayak paddle you are paddling nearly twice as often as with a single blade paddle.

Wanna go slow? Use less force
Wanna go silent? Don't disturb the water.

Now, this is just an opinon. But remember whose it is.

aprayinbear

Feb 9, 2007
South Carolina
What?????

:?

I'm afraid I don't know one stroke from another. And I also have to fess up that I have no wealth of experience, but what I can say is that my pirogue is the easiest boat I've ever paddled. My strategy is go with the flow, with as little effort as is required to get you from a to b. I've enjoyed making my paddles almost as much as makin' my boats. I just hack away at 2X stock until I have something that looks like a paddle, is light and comfortable to use for as long as I'm on the water. Just finished a double ended Inuit style paddle and it feels sooooo good in the hand.

Bottom line, I love my pirogue because I don't have to think about it too much whenever I'm on the water. She's quiet, smooth and goes where I point her. My advice.... play around, have some fun and find what works for you. By the way, carving paddles is a great way to show off a bit of your creative side.

Happy Paddlin!
8)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Bottom line, I love my pirogue because I don't have to think about it too much whenever I'm on the water. She's quiet, smooth and goes where I point her. My advice.... play around, have some fun and find what works for you. By the way, carving paddles is a great way to show off a bit of your creative side.

Happy Paddlin!

Absa-bloody-lootly :D :D

As long as it works for you and you are happy with it - use it. I just love the single blade now. I am not convinced it is only half a tool as I once believed.

I don't know very much about all the fancy strokes either. What I do works for me and I am happy with that. I change sides when I feel like it and my pirogue tracks as straight as an arrow. ( when I want her to) Most times I am just too lazy to try and wander all over the river. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We make our own boats , as far as I know there is no law that says we can't have the pleasure of making our own paddles.

A truly handcrafted and customized outfit for our pleasure , both the boat and the paddle to make it go.

Have you looked at the handmade paddles out there on the market , they start at over $200.00 per paddle. What a rip off when you can make one from scrap wood for your own use for a fifth of that , or less.

I am thinking I need to have a separate section ( Post) on just making your own paddles and then showing what everyone on here has done for themselves.

Chuck.

Reactions: FrankAS

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

It looks like I will be the owner of that Homer King paddle with the whale on it after all. I sent ya'll a email tellin' how this paddle wuz on craigslist in Portland, but the fella sellin' it fer $75 sez he wont ship it.....too much truble.

I sent email ta Arrondo 'n West Coast Dan hopin' they mite find a way ta buy this paddle. I tole one airgunnin' pal cuz I knew he lived out west 'n he paddled kayaks. Turns out he lived two blocks away 'n the deal went down.

My airgunnin' pal now sez he haz kids 'n the paddle needs some work 'n do I want it fer $75 plus shippin'. He sent pichurs. I sent 'em ta ya'll. I already tole him how much it iz worth, so jest tell me how much 'n I'll send him some Iriquois wampam belts fulla good stuff. He iz headed out up the west coast fer some campin', paddlin', etc. I am headed out in a week....no matter how much they want fer gas.

When we git back I will send money 'n git that paddle. I like paddle collectibles....stead of ole magazine with stories bout Bo Jackson.

regards
bearridge

I started out to be a pessimist but gave it up. I didn't think it would work out. Unkown

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
Scooter, its all trial and error, I up until the other day only used a single paddle. I got tired of the water in my boat from switching sides so I learned the J stroke. Its not fast but it is effective in making you go straight and getting you there. I too only paddle on one side for hours on end.

I borrowed a kayak paddle to give it a shot and ended up looking like I had just taken a shower. Kayak paddles in my mind are for "KAYAKS" :D they are covered and most of the water rolls right off them. Pirogues for some odd reason tend to catch water and let it wick up your pant legs.

Once you figure out what paddle you like your next step should be to build chuck, and uncle johns chair. I spent many hours sitting indian style on the bottom of my pirogue and was perfectly happy. I had to get up and stretch quite often but thought nothing of it. I built the UJ chair and spent a full 6 or 7 hours comfortably seated and wasn't even sore at the end of the day. :)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wimperdink said:
Once you figure out what paddle you like your next step should be to build chuck, and uncle johns chair. I spent many hours sitting indian style on the bottom of my pirogue and was perfectly happy. I had to get up and stretch quite often but thought nothing of it. I built the UJ chair and spent a full 6 or 7 hours comfortably seated and wasn't even sore at the end of the day. :)

That was what made me decide to build a better seat. I was using a wicker seat (Like you find in a canoe) when out fishing with a friend. He had a cut off lawn chair (Beach type) for a seat in his pirogue , he was comfortable all day while I could not find a comfortable position after a few hours on the water.

So when I got home I started sketching out ideas and finally came up with the design that is for everyones enjoyment today.
I sent some pictures of it to Uncle John and he asked if I was going to sell the plans , my answer was ....NO... But you can if you want to since it is made for a pirogue , as they say the rest is history.

John did ask me if I was going to design a wood anchor for the pirogue , haven't worked out all the details .... yet.... The stinking thing floats. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
oldsparkey said:
John did ask me if I was going to design a wood anchor for the pirogue , haven't worked out all the details .... yet.... The stinking thing floats. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
icon_happy.gif
icon_happy.gif
icon_happy.gif
icon_happy.gif

Scooter

Chuck have ya ever thought about carving desert ironwood? There's your anchor; stuff don't float. :lol: Actually dunno how it would carve with a blade, but it sands pretty good.

Woulda started making the chair today but spend the morning in the water instead. Priorities ya know. :wink:

Scooter

Ok, spent nearly 2 hrs on the water this morning and learned alot. One, it got windy and it's hard to keep pointed in the right direction!

Wasn't able to make any headway against it using single paddle. During calm periods I was able to make the j-stroke work well. It's very relaxing and doesn't take much energy to make the thing go. 8)

Kayak paddle would keep 'er moving any direction, even into stiff breezes. Need to lengthen it. Sitting on the floor having to clear the gunnels feels kinda unnatural and drips all kindsa water from the high blade...which has to be very high so the low blade can make it over the gunnel and down into the water.

Need that chair.

Also took the opportunity to swamp it while standing beside in 3 feet of water. Kinda scary how low it sinks; barely any gunnel above water. Need some flotation compartments since mosta my paddling is on open lakes.

Was a fun morning. :)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Scooter,

I reckon this iz bout az good az any place ta bring this up. I aint found no seat that dont interfere with my paddlin'. Like all scouts, I learned settin' on a flat seat in some ole Grumann. That wuz okay, but back then it wuz jest piddlin' round.

Then I give the whitewater a try. By 'n by ya git yerself inta a jam 'n gotta make a strong move ta keep the water under the boat. In most of the whitewater I paddled, there wuz some flat stretches where ya mite az well paddle. I kin paddle on my knees, settin' on a saddle. I kin feel the power when I do it rite. So far ever seat I ever sat in felt strange 'n I could not git the power or the stroke to work rite. I wish there wuz a seat that fixed this cuz my ole knees aint up ta a long paddlin' day.

regards
bearridge

Doc: I told him it should come off.
Woodrow: Ya kin still take it off,
Gus: No, sir.
Woodrow: Ya wouldnt kill me fer trying ta save yer life
Gus: No, but I’ll dern sure disable ya. Ya dont boss me Woodrow, I’m the one man ya don’t boss.
Woodrow: I never figgered you fer a suicide Gus,

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Scooter

The seat will be a big help and with the plans you can make a 100 of them. Plus ...Pirogues are not white water boats , they are lazy river , lakes and streams boats for just enjoying life and not trying to go over boulders and off waterfalls.

They are for fishing , lolly gagging , goofing off , camping , day paddling , having some fun water craft , enjoying life while being laid back and relaxed .... not the in the hurry , hell bent for leather , white knuckle , hair raising white water I want to kill my self kind of stuff.

They are good southern boats and like all southerners we like to go easy and smell the roses , see the sights and enjoy life , not having the cushion we are sitting sucked on into places where it should not be and require three doctors two days to remove it. :roll:

Chuck.