Jacks Forks | SouthernPaddler.com

Jacks Forks

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

The folks on the Current & Jacks Fork will tell ya their rivers are like the Buffalo without crowds. I figger that may be true, but the Buffalo dont allow motor boats, cept way down below Rush....close ta the White River. Dont git me wrong, the Missouri Ozark rivers are mitey purty, but I hate it when I am paddlin' & the combustion engine boys come roarin' by.

The Eleven Point iz the Nationalized Scenic River in the Missouri Ozarks. I liked it, cept fer the barbarians on four wheelers 'n motor boats. However, there are plenty of fine rivers in the Ozarks ta wet whatever yer whistle wants. I aim ta paddle the Current River next time I git a chance. I mite even paddle the Eleven Point agin if I kin git up a fine crew of geezers. More than likely my next expedishun ta the Ozarks will be ta run whitewater on the Big Piney 'er flatwater on the Buffalo. [It aint flat if the High Sheriff iz on the water....ask the Rangers.]

regards
bearridge

Non cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good. Gandhi

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
O Master of Flowbizness,

After a hoodoochie all the mountain rivers git ta churnin'. Paul iz rite bout the rapids near the end of that stretch on the Eleven Point. Fer az I kin recall the big one wuz called Mary Decker Shoals. She musta been a nurse/gymnast who helped some paddlin' geezers with what ailed 'em after a hard day on the river....you know....paddlin' more'n 3 hours a day. They musta liked her so much they named the rapid after her.

I sho wish she had come along that nite after I feel 'n busted my ribs. Runnin' Mary Decker the next day with busted up ribs wuz no fun....no fun at all. Bout halfway down the river there wuz this giant spring where the water comes out so fast it must be Class I whitewater.

regards
bearridge

Why is it that our memory is good enough to retain the least triviality that happens to us, and yet not good enough to recollect how often we have told it to the same person? Francois de la Rochefoucauld

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Why the devil eyes Mick you got somthin up your sleeve?

I was planning on a trip over your way this year to meet you guys and perhaps, paddle a river or two or fifty but when Robin got sick, we used up a lot of our spare annual leave so have had to postpone it.

Robin is resisting somewhat. She has her heart set on some obscure South Pacific Islands (Atutaki) and the like with a couple of weeks in New Zealand as well.

By showing here the piccies and links you guys post, she is starting to weaken :twisted: 8)

Robin is off to Tasmania for about 10 days soon so if she is still resisting too much I will come over on my own. :D After all, fair's fair, 10 days for Robin - 5 weeks in the US for me :p :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks very much guys.

It will be next year before I have enough leave saved up to make such a trip worthwile. I don't want to come all that way just for a couple of weeks.

At this stage, it looks like will need to fly in to L.A. and get connecting flights from there to where-ever I need to go. Probably will hire a pick up type truck at some point to get round.

I am thinking about starting in Florida and work my way North and West and call in to see as many of you guys as I can along the way.

Still studying US maps but so far, it looks something like Florida, Louisiana, Texas and Carolina then perhaps Michigan and Missouri and anywhere in between.

Will start a thread as planning progresses and will definately be looking for help and suggestions. 8)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Thanks very much guys.

I am thinking about starting in Florida and work my way North and West and call in to see as many of you guys as I can along the way.

Still studying US maps but so far, it looks something like Florida, Louisiana, Texas and Carolina then perhaps Michigan and Missouri and anywhere in between.

8)

Mick , I always knew you were a quick thinker and one very smart fellow. That is the best way to visit a new place , start with the best , Florida Louisianan , Texas , Carolina. Then finish up with less then the best Missouri and , shutter , gasp , gag , Mitchagain.

That way you won't mind leaving the states and going back home , if anything you probably will be looking forward to it.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
I am probably closest to LA Fly in to Austin I will pick you up and since my grandaughter threw such a fit over me selling the Laker I will have it ready for you and you can take it with you on the trip.
Ron
My grand daughter informed me I could not sell any of my boats told me to put in my will they went to her amazing what an 11 year old comes up with

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Mick
My grand daughter informed me I could not sell any of my boats told me to put in my will they went to her amazing what an 11 year old comes up with

Mick....

If you decide to do Florida ..... Let me know , you have a place to stay with room and board plus a guide that even has a vehicle to drive you around in style.

Flying in to the Orlando International Airport or the Orlando Sanford international airport ( the easier one to get threw customs) . From there things will be covered , including a paddling trip on the Ocklawaha River.

The Ocklawaha is a clear water ( about 72 degrees all year) Sub-Tropical River that runs threw the Ocala National Forest with all of the indigious wildlife , Bear , deer , otters and all the rest with even some transplants from the old Tarzan Movies .... Monkeys.

I have to say the one draw back is you would meet the lazyriverguy (Joe) who owns the place where we start from and return to ( the Outpost). His lovely wife ( Val) makes up for his misgivings. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure I could get a few of the guys to go with you (myself included) for a two or three day camping and paddling on the river. Lazyriverguy (Joe) might force me to have him included but all that would do is to add to the fun , he is nuts and fun to be on a river with. :wink: Almost as bad as the rest of us. :roll:

Chuck.