Jack's Southern Appalachian adventure | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Jack's Southern Appalachian adventure

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Jack said that he put hiz puter in the shop before he left home and it might be a week before he got back on the forum, but it has been a week now. I'm wondering whar he iz also.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Lemme tell you a bit about the trip from my point of view. Jimmy is an expert on northern Georgia, southern Tennessee, and SW'ly North Carolina. He is acquainted with all the rocks, trees, streams, cemeteries, roads, side trails, campsites, old settlers, Indians, and doins for the last 400 years. The rocks and trees he calls by their first names. They nod greeting.

Wingo San is the Thoreau of the Appalachians. Aye god, I couldn't have booked a more knowledgeable guide to be with. He even guided me to an old sawmill where, when we knocked on the door of the house, we had to holler, "HELLO THE HOUSE!" to not get a twicet barrel carabine out the door. I bought a rough sawn board to put up for the bats to roost in here.

Jimmy knows about the times that were before, now, and may even foresee times coming in those mountains. For a fella from Greenville Mississippi, he sure got smart about the area quick and thorough.

We each enjoyed a sip of our distilled spirits a couple of times, but Dorazio's Dago Red was the drink of choice most of the time. Just like on the Brazos with Texas Ranger Ron, Dago Red went down easy. (It is, however, a diuretic. Makes ya pee a lot too.)

Streams up there, were corridors of rocks with some water trickling along in between. One of them ate Jimmy's glasses. That's another story.

Cemeteries up there had slabs of native stone for markers. Only two regular sand stone markers, and a couple of wooden ones. 95% were irregular slabs of rock, names and dates all gone, lost.

Jimmy gave me a walking stick formed in a spiral by a vine. A real treasure. He also gave me an appreciation for that territory. I'd driven the length of Georgia on I-75, and the width on I-10. On this trip, I got a glimpse of a real Georgia, and Tennessee and North Carolina too.

Thank you, Jimmy. I hope to return the favor come May ,on the Au Sable River.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Kayak Jack said:
Streams up there, were corridors of rocks with some water trickling along in between.
Mostly Truthful Jack,

It jest dawned on me. The power company turnt the Nantahala off the day we left, so when ya'll seen it, it wuz jest a trickle. Dang! Lookin' a a pichur of it jest caint tell the tale.

When ya'll left there, did ya'll head fer Bryson City 'n take the Needmore Road shortcut ta Franklin avoidin' az much of Highroad 28 az ya kin (hit gravel fer a mile 'er so along he Little Tennessee River) 'er did ya'll go west ta Murphy 'n then turn south?

The Pisgah Forest iz special too. They got a town with natural Hot Springs 'n a big campground where they have a big annual hammock campin' git together. It iz on the banks of the French Broad River.

Next time ya drive all the way down ta the Smokies ta see the leaves turn red 'n brite gold, come a bit earlier. We keep a bottle of Dago Red settin' on the table.

regards
bearridge

If the world was a logical place, men would be the ones who ride horses sidesaddle.  unknown

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
We took the Highroad 28 south from 19 to Franklin. Jack missed most all that trip as he wuz napping. Ya oughta see now he can lean round them curves while asleep.