JEM Sail canoe DONE | SouthernPaddler.com

JEM Sail canoe DONE

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Well, mostly. I'm now working on a lightweight leeboard bracket. Had her out for sea trials a couple of weeks ago. Handles nicely,
tacks upwind well sails close and is rock solid, not "twitchy" like my regular open sail canoes.

003maidenvoyage-copy.jpg

starboard
005maidenvoyage-copy.jpg

port
001maidenvoyage-copy.jpg

on the water.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hoz...

This is quite a professional looking sailing rig and the boat is out of this world. :D

Now I have to warn you there will be a lot of folks asking questions on this forum and Matt's so get ready to help them ...... After all this is half of the fun ... helping someone and then actually being on the water with them........

Great Looking boat ............ We do have some really good boat building persons on here, That was the main idea of southernpaddler......... building boats for our use and then helping folks build theirs. :D

Chuck.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
That sail is made of white poly tarp. It is 2 years old and I have been using it on my open canoe sail rigs. I am planning on making a new sail soon. 50 sq ft, balancedlug. Either tyvek or white poly.

Actually the wind was marginal. Force 2 with gusts to force 3 at times.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Just a little update. I have had her out a few more times and so far she is just what I wanted in a sailing canoe. A couple of weeks ago we were sailing in Force 3 winds, gusting to F4 and she was still rock solid. Even with 40 sq ft full sail she wasn't the least bit "twitchy" and heeled over firm. At one point my sheer was underwater yet I didn't feel threatened of going over. In the interest of safety I did eventually reef down to a more manageable sq footage.

Last wkend I paddled her 8 miles down a local creek with the sailing gear stored in the bilge. Once entering the lake I rigged mast and rudder and hoisted the sail to find Sargasso Sea conditions, NO WIND. So I lowered the sail and paddled another 2 miles under a bare pole before the slightest zephyrs started cooing and a few cats paws creeped across the water.

On the lower lake were at least 50 regular sailboats, racing dinghies, Hobies and day cruisers. I sailed among them with 'elan. Every one who came alongside expressed apprecation and admiration for the boat and rig.

Looks like a winner!