Jerky Recipe........... | SouthernPaddler.com

Jerky Recipe...........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This recipe for jerky has been floating around on the back channels so I posted it on here to save it and not have it vanish into cyber space with old mail.

Chuck

This is the one Kayak Jack likes for making his jerky.
" Top round or flank steak works good. Soak it in a large ziploc bag so you can turn it over easily and all meat is exposed to marinade. It's good without the smoke, lots better with it. "

5 lbs jerky meat
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Kosher Salt
1/3 cup Tender Quick
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup A1 Steak sauce or Country Bob's All-Purpose Sauce
1 TBS garlic powder
2 TBS beef rub ( your choice )
1 TBS cayenne pepper, or to taste
4 - 5 cups Water

Mix everything together and add the meat.

* Tender Quick is a cure and is designed to keep all the unwanted "bugs" away. When cooking at these low temps, the Tender Quick will insure all the bacteria is killed off. It also means there is no need to refrigerate after making the jerky. If you cannot find Tender Quick, simply skip it, but you should cook at a little higher temp and it will need to be refrigerated when finished.

* Soak the meat in the marinade, in the refrigerator, for a couple of days. Then dry it. You can use a dehydrator or run ambient air over it. This last batch, I did both and can't tell the difference. I made large screen racks that set over a large window fan. It sat in the house and simply ran air over the meat at room temperature.

* After it is dried down to a leather consistency, I put it in my smoker and smoked two pans of hickory shavings. First batch I made was beef.

* Batch I finished today is chicken. Buy ONLY boneless & skinless chicken breast. Slice it when it is partly frozen. Trim off all fat. THAT is why you want the breast meat; it separates into lean and fat easily. Other cuts are a pain in the rear.

Slammer

Feb 16, 2006
South Texas
How long do you smoke it?

How thin do you cut the meat?

In the past I have smoked jerky over the pit and tried to keep the temp at or below 150.

I plan on making some duck and venison jerky. Maybe even some coot.

I will say this.......this marinade attachment to the Vacuum packer is great.

This is the very reason I enjoy this site so much........it ain't just about boats.

slammer

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Slammer

I am happy to see that someone besides myself likes Coots. I thought I was the only one on here that enjoyed them at supper. Darn good (delicious) substitutive for a duck dinner when the ducks are not flying.

Jerky Jack ( formally known as Kayak Jack) will have to answer the other question for you.......

Chuck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
To give credit where credit is due, here is the URL http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ktaylor11/kevi.htm

I smoke it only one or two pans - that takes about an hour per pan - and I prefer hickory. But that is a matter of personal choice. I have the smallest of the Luhr-Jenson smokers. This stuff is good before smoking, and better afterwards.

I had to add extra cayenne (actually, chipotle chili powder) to the mix to keep my 6 year old Granddaughter out of it. Tonight, she came home from kindergarten and grabbed some Jack's Links store-bought jerky just as unconcerned as you please. Her school snacks are an admixture of applesauce, mandarin oranges, jerky, dried cherries, sunflower nuts, raisins, apple, etc.

Duck may be too oily for jerking; I'd be leery of it. Only coot I know about is Chucky - you're welcome to make jerky of him. But, I wouldn't eat it.

This may be an even more imaginative solution for getting rid of a pest than they had in Fargo. "Suthrin Piddler Jerky n Gree-itz rented here."

I figger renting will be sufficient - stuff won't stick with'em very long ennyway. :(

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Not to be a skeerdy cat but if you use Tender Quick you don't have to put in the fridge??? Kahuna :roll:

oldsparkey said:
This recipe for jerky has been floating around on the back channels so I posted it on here to save it and not have it vanish into cyber space with old mail.

Chuck

This is the one Kayak Jack likes for making his jerky.
" Top round or flank steak works good. Soak it in a large ziploc bag so you can turn it over easily and all meat is exposed to marinade. It's good without the smoke, lots better with it. "

5 lbs jerky meat
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Kosher Salt
1/3 cup Tender Quick
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup A1 Steak sauce or Country Bob's All-Purpose Sauce
1 TBS garlic powder
2 TBS beef rub ( your choice )
1 TBS cayenne pepper, or to taste
4 - 5 cups Water

Mix everything together and add the meat.

* Tender Quick is a cure and is designed to keep all the unwanted "bugs" away. When cooking at these low temps, the Tender Quick will insure all the bacteria is killed off. It also means there is no need to refrigerate after making the jerky. If you cannot find Tender Quick, simply skip it, but you should cook at a little higher temp and it will need to be refrigerated when finished.

* Soak the meat in the marinade, in the refrigerator, for a couple of days. Then dry it. You can use a dehydrator or run ambient air over it. This last batch, I did both and can't tell the difference. I made large screen racks that set over a large window fan. It sat in the house and simply ran air over the meat at room temperature.

* After it is dried down to a leather consistency, I put it in my smoker and smoked two pans of hickory shavings. First batch I made was beef.

* Batch I finished today is chicken. Buy ONLY boneless & skinless chicken breast. Slice it when it is partly frozen. Trim off all fat. THAT is why you want the breast meat; it separates into lean and fat easily. Other cuts are a pain in the rear.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Using tender Quick, you refrigerate while curing, but no need to after finished. The meat has been cured, like ham and bacon used to be. Then dried and smoked, like bacon and ham used to be.

You can store it for long periods in your freezer if it lets you feel better.