Jocob's European tour | SouthernPaddler.com

Jocob's European tour

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
East Lansing/Okemos Michigan
Some of you may remember a while back I told you about my son going to Europe as a Student Ambassador. Well, he's there now. He left Wednesday, June 24th and I talked to him today for the first time. Here's a rundown of what he's done so far. I'll post pictures when he comes home.
June 24th. Leave Detroit to Shannon Ireland. Had a layover in Newark.
June 25th.Land in Ireland and immediatly start running. Tour Bunratty Castle. It was built in the 15t centry and home to many Earls. Went to Folk Park, a re-created village of a 15th centry Irish rural village with a range of domestic architecture including a labourers' cottage and an elegant Georgan residance.
June 26th. Explore an area known as Burren. A rocky expance with stone structures and botanical gardens with Alpine plants. Tour Aillwee caves with subterrian rivers created by prehistoric melting water.
June 27th. Take a horse-drawn jauntry car through the area surring the lakes of Killarney. Had lunch at Lord Brandons Cottage (hunting lodge). Than take a boat ride across a tranquil lake.
June 28th. Tour Blarney Castle and kiss the Blarney stone. Than went to a Woollen Mill.
June 29th. Work a traditional Irish dairy farm. Visit a donkey sanctuary (donkey rides), make homemade bread and crafts. End the day with storytelling and Irish music and dancing.
June 30th. Tou the Waterford Crystal factory. Learn about glass blowing, engraving and all aspects of making the crystal.
July1st. Go into the Wicklow "Garden of Ireland" by the Blessington lakes and the Wicklow mountains. Go the the Gaelic Athletic Association Museum and learn about Gaelic football and Hurling. Tour the city streets and canlas of Dublin on an "Army Duck" with a Viking guide.
July2nd. Left Ireland for Wales by ferry. Went to a village with one of the worlds longest names: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch! Then took a tram ride to the Great Orme Copper Mine where there's a archaeological site that dates back to the Bronze age (3000 years ago) where they learned about mining and smelting. Than took a toboggan run down the mountainside.

I'll post more as he does it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
This little fellow, Jacob, is quite an active young lad. I've known him since before he was born. He is a real go-getter with a ready smile that pretty much captures your heart. Gator and his wife, Christina, are doing a great job of raising a couple of boys. Their eyes glisten whenever they talk about or are with those two kids.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Gator said:
Went to a village with one of the worlds longest names: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch
Friend Gator,

That aint the real name of that town. They hired Truthful Jack ta paint the sign on the outside of town. He charged 'em by the letter. That wuz rite at the end of the Bronze Age. Back then they had a heap a towns with long names. Jack made enuf off long signs ta buy a pocket knife with a blade 'n a spoon. Then he moved in with the Switz folks 'n helped 'em git the jump on funny clocks. He wuz bored watchin' the sun dial go round.

regards
bearridge

ps Lookin' forward ta them pichurs. Bet he iz good at landscapes. [chuckle]

The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop.  P. J. O'Rourke

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
What organization was this with? People to People? Eisenhower foundation? My wife has been group leader on a couple of People to People trips (Europe, Australia) and had a great time.

George

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
East Lansing/Okemos Michigan
today, July 3. They went to a Welsh school to meet with students and compare school systems. Then explored Chester (a city built in 79AD). The tour was given by a Roman Centurion. Go to England. Tour Warwick Castle (built in 1068) and the dungeon and torture chamber. Learned about medieval battle, dances and rituals. then they fired a fire-ball from the worlds most powerful Trebuchet.

tommorow their going to tour Oxford University then go to the theater in London.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Gator said:
Friend George- Yes, this is a People to People trip

That's a great way for young people to see some of the world. It ain't cheap, but it is a lot of bang for the buck, and you can feel safe with the kids being chaperoned by teams of certified teachers.

It's great that you helped your boy do this.

George