Just finished UJ pirogue w/ pics | SouthernPaddler.com

Just finished UJ pirogue w/ pics

madtom

Jun 12, 2008
Just finished my UJ pirogue. I built it exactly to plans except for the obvious changes which are purely cosmetic.
I made a few mistakes, mainly with the fiberglassing. But not bad for a first timer and I know next time I can get it right. For some reason I didn't understand that I could glass the entire outside and inside with one sheet of cloth and I used a whole bunch of pieces spliced together. I also glassed over the ribs. Needless to say, after the first coat of epoxy it was obvious the boat would look best painted. Still, its suprising what several coats of epoxy and alot of sanding will do.
Since it wasn't going to be the pretty wood boat I had in my head, we decided to make it the "kids boat". This is what we came up with.
The "head" is made of pink styrofoam, shaped then covered w/ epoxy and glass. We also have a pair of removable pectoral fins and a tail, but haven't got them glassed yet.
We've got two other boats, but this is the favorite and it get the most attention (and grins to).
Thanks to Old Sparky and all who answered questions and provided feedback. I can't wait to start on another. Maybe a skiff, or a kayak, or canoe, or another pirogue...........

Thanks again, madtom

PS - I also posted this in the boat bragging board. If double posting is a no - no, then I apologize and will plead ignorance just this one time. Also, this is my very first time to upload photos, I shrunk the files and seemed to loose quality. How can I avoid this?

boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

kids1.jpg

dace2.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I dont see why the Sparkanator dont copy that on hiz new epoxy soaked boat. Mitey fine lookin' boat fer the little pardners Tom.

dang good on ya
bearridge

Man developed in Africa. He has not continued to do so there. P. J. O'Rourke

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
That is a work of art. Wayway COOL. I luv it.
(I'm still a kid) Like the P40 nose. Tiger. The munchkins
must luv it too. Your a good guy to do that. Coogs

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
madtom...

Besides taking the liberty of making the pictures so they showed up on here ...... I went one step further and sent this link for the pirogue to Uncle John and told him to use what he wants on his web site.

Uncle John ( John Klegg) is a friend of mine and since it is posted on a world wide web site ( southernpaddler) it more or less becomes public information. Besides what you have done is way beyond description and the only way to explain it and let everyone know is by sharing the information.

I sure Hope you don't mind...... If so then cuss me out. :wink:

Chuck.

clarenancy

Apr 23, 2008
Lower Alabama
I haven't abandoned the forum. I've just been lurking because I'm ashamed to say I still haven't started. Or even decided between the Swamp Girl and the UJ. I'm leaning UJ for ease.

But I just had to comment that this is the cutest idea I've seen. I bet the kids LOVE it.

There's a TV decorator, a little light in the loafers kind of guy who says, "If you can't hide it, decorate it."

You've really put his adage into some fine creative action.

Hats off to ya!

Clare