Just might do it? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Just might do it?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
bearridge

Sounds ta me like ya need bout two weeks off jest ta git yer kilter back. Then make yer call. That wuz one of the main reasons I give it up. I had never had a two week break.....'n never would have. Ya gotta work fer the guviment ta git a two break. [sigh]

Bear...

Us guviment folks got two weeks off after working one week , "O"ooop's , after being there one week not necessarily working. :lol: :lol:

Chuckles....

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Government employees in Michigan (employees - not legislator types) are forced to take furlough days with no pay. Amounts to a 20% pay reduction.

Don't worry, though. The legislators voted themselves a raise. (We need a new name for them - how about lie-a-slators?)

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Well fella'sI really don't see much here in the negative about retiring....seems y'all is for it. I believe I'm for it too. I thinks I have set a date of Jan 1st.....2011. I'll be 62 next June and I'll finish out the year just so I have a fixed point to focus on and get used to the idea. No mortgage.....no big outlays for anything. Wife's Jeep will close to being paid off by than. Just your normal homestead bills.....taxes and any maintenance that comes along. So when New years eve comes this year....I can toast the last year being an indentured servant. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dam... This has proven what I was thinking all along .... I always knew Pat had the smarts in that marriage , She drives a JEEP , Bless Pat. :D

62 in June of 2010, if you want to get that gov check in June you need to apply for it about 90 days earlier then then.

I don't know if I told you but come 2011 we have a new policy and it excludes any Yankee , retired , Geezers ( especial the Eye-a-taion ones in Penn ) from paddling with us. Naturally the rules can be changed if they bring some of that good Jerky they have up there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yaker , Looking forward to a lot of good times in 2011. :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Well...I may have to reduce myself to eating Vienny Sausage and sardines from a can....but freedom has a price and it's worth it! Guess it's a redneck surf and turf! Is there any cheaper wine than Ripple? :?

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Dang it all guys. You are putting evil thoughts into my mind. Turn 62 in December. Most all is paid for except the new car. Being off on sick leave has been rough. Sleep in late, get up make coffee, check the garden, feed the birds, walk the dog and fish. I don't know how long I can put up with no whining landlords and tenants complaining our inspections are too rough or too lenient (depending on if its a slumlord in violation or a deadbeat in arrears).
My blood pressure has leveled off at reasonable numbers and the fish are biting. Hunting season is coming. Back off before you force :roll: me to retire! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Funny you mentioned the blood pressure. While working I would go to the cardiologist for a check up and he would make me lay down for half an hour after checking my BP. After I retired I went in for a check up and he just stood there looking at me then asked ... What have you done? ( My BP was way down.) I said .. Retired. He waited for a minute or so then gave me a stern look and said ... Why didn't you do that a lot sooner. :lol:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Yepper! You can't add years of freedom at the other end......but you can add to 'em at this end!
Jeez! I wish I would have worked 5 more years and spent more time at work! :shock:
I told my dear old mother about me thinking of hanging it up. She said, "Remember your dad talked about the guy he worked with who stayed as long as he could.....His name was in the Obit's one day after he retired! Not one SS check...."
Guy I went to high school with and I havn't seen in years was at the gas pumps a while back....drove an old pickup with his dog and best friend in the right seat. He said he retired as early as he could at a reduced sum.....but he couldn't be happier! Freedom has a price and it's worth it he said! "I drive an old pickup but my time is mine" he says...... :wink: "Me and Buck go for a morning walk and than I sit on the porch and watch the sun come up with my coffee....."
Quality of life!!!!!!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It's a whole new world from the one all of us spent our lives doing in the rat race..... Sort of like being that bare foot kid , of many years ago during summer vacation , sitting on the river bank and catching catfish , not a worry in the world and if the fish aren't biting ... who cares. :lol: .... Just enjoying the pleasures of a simpler and better life.

YES , Virginia .... you can go back to the simpler times. :D

There are a lot of other advantages to being a senior.... I have a life time fishing , hunting license for EVERYTHING at no cost as long as I can draw a breath. Then when traveling all sorts of discounts from motels to campgrounds.

Then there is the #1 Rule...... Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to Fight, he'll just kill you. :lol: After all most of us were trained by our Government to be killers for the Government ( remember that thing called the draft ) :wink:

Chuck.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Bet they''re hiring at Bass Pro right here in God's Country (no not Florida!). Always glad to have another paddling partner, just got off the Ogeechee after a full days paddle and was catching up and happened to see your post. I hope to retire at 62 also but who knows. We've had forced time off, no raises for the next year, layoffs and cutting out of overtime after making a billion dollars for the first time last year. Didn't they save any of that money? I am glad to be employed and try to give 100 percent but sometimes you just get a little depressed about the way things are. Hang in there and let's get on the river and eat some Brats..... :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jeez Franke! You sure have shaped up and bulked out since last Fall! :shock: Sure would like that Bass Pro job....but still mothers overseer. Want to pick up a modest camping trailer and spend more time in the South and take more trips there to SAV to paddle and fish. This job has paddling down to nil so it's time to plan on leaving. You always wonder if your doing the right thing......Wife's cousin husband checked out yesterday suddenly and unexpected.....66. I seem to be messages about retiring.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
Government employees in Michigan (employees - not legislator types) are forced to take furlough days with no pay. Amounts to a 20% pay reduction.

Don't worry, though. The legislators voted themselves a raise. (We need a new name for them - how about lie-a-slators?)

How 'bout leechislators?

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
I understand about caring for your mother, dad had a bad bout with his back and if my sister hadn't come in from Texas I'm not sure how we would have handled that. Visions of things to come I guess but we'll make do. Sorry to hear about your wife's cousins husband, I should have checked out at 42 but was fortunate enough to make it to a good cardiologist in time. He's been taking care of me since then. You do never know when your time will come and I sure don't want to expire at work, let me go on a river somewhere surrounded by friends that care for me and enjoy what I enjoy.

Get your backside down here and let's get on the river.......... :lol:

P.S. Glad to know someone noticed I have been working out and no I do not take steriods! LOL....... :roll:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Well.... I was thinking about it and just didn't have the Cajones to do do it. Finally I talked with my financial adviser just before Easter and he said it shouldn't be a problem. He just don't retire in winter because it's not good on the brain. So... I have picked July 1 of 2011 as final date. He said, pick a date and run with it, it helps to set in your mind better and get used to the idea. So.... Roughly a year to adjust to the new lifestyle. :D :D :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I retired in July of 98 and have not regretted a single minute of it , except for the fact that I did not do it sooner. This permanent vacation is the Nut's.
Besides it is a lot more fun deciding what I want to do then having someone tell me what I want to do , excluding the wife telling me which is something she is really good at. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Chuck.
PS. She can't figure out why I don't listen to her .... DUH...............

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
One of the reasons I'm quitting can be found in the moral of this story.... :wink:

All the organs of the body were having a meeting,
trying to decide who was the one in charge.

"I should be in charge," said the brain,
"Because I run all the body's systems, so without me nothing would happen."

"I should be in charge," said the blood,
"Because I circulate oxygen all over so without me you'd all waste away."

"I should be in charge," said the stomach,
Because I process food and give you all of your energy."

"I should be in charge," said the legs,
"because I carry the body wherever it needs to go."

"I should be in charge," said the eyes,
"Because I allow the body to see where it goes."

"I should be in charge," said the rectum,
"Because I'm responsible for waste removal."

All the other body parts laughed at the rectum
And insulted him, so in a huff, he shut down tight.

Within a few days, the brain had a terrible headache,
the stomach was bloated, the legs got wobbly, the eyes got watery,
and the blood Was toxic. They all decided that the rectum should be the boss.

The Moral of the story?

Even though the others do all the work...
The a-- h--e is usually in charge :lol: