Just started some winter maintenance | SouthernPaddler.com

Just started some winter maintenance

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
After only one summer of sun my natural finish has become blotchy. I did apply uv protection varnish but I guess it wasn't enough. I'm doing a little sanding now and will be painting it dark green soon. Another problem I'm working on is the rub rails. I got quite a few places where the wood has blackened slightly. I'm assuming it's because moisture got in some how but I can't imagine how after all of the coats of epoxy and varnish that was on them. I'm also planning on adding the inwales that I never got around to during the build.

This is my first boat and a wooden one at that. I'm guessing that there will be some kind of maintenance to do every winter!

Greg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wood boats need to be inside under cover when not using them. This helps to keep them as we made them , a good UV Varnish ( Three coats) helps when they are outside and some care when using them. Especially any after care when getting back from using them......

As far as soft wood ( Pine) some epoxy and acetone mixed up will correct a lot of things , if you don't want to go that way then some Smiths Penetrating Epoxy will do the trick if the wood does not need to be replaced.

I have some gray and almost black areas on the rub rails on one of mine which will be sanded , re epoxied (or replaced ) when the weather gets better. The one with it is 4 years old and the wood in question is a pine rub rail. It was not glassed over , just epoxied and varnished and in a area that does get abused when on a rack for transportation.

When all of that is not the answer , replacing the bad section and paint works wonders , after all they are just wood. :D

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Is it possible that fasteners have something to do with the dark spots on the rubrails? I don't remember what fasteners you used. If they are reacting with the tannins and residual moisture in the wood, you might get dark spots regardless the varnish and so forth.

GBinGA

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
No, definitely not fasteners. The wood seems to be fine. I sanded most of the darkness away. I may opt to put some fiber glass on the rub rails to make sure moisture doesn't get in there again. I assume it's moisture that caused the dark spots.

I have no way to store the boat inside and where it is gets baked by the sun in the afternoon. I'm planning on building a holding rack for it this winter then maybe I'll be able to keep it covered.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Greg, is it possible to lay some wood across the boat, and tie down a tarp over it? you want air to freely flow and the tarp to not ride on the boat. Maybe a couple saw horses, boat upside down, a few pieces of wood, and stake out a tarp over it? Have to move it every couple of weeks to mow under it?

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I would have to do something really easy because I use it every day during the summer. I'm lucky enough to have a nice pond behind our house and I try to take full advantage of it! A lean-to would be ideal but I had a hard enough time getting my shed approved by the homeowner's association in my neighborhood.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Greg, I'm not trying to stir the pot, but go get the deed restrictions and reread them. Most homeowners' associations have no real way of enforcing deed restrictions other than voluntary obedience. If it has been embodied into a zoning code, then it has teeth.

It may, or may mot, be worth you ruffling a few feathers. Sometimes associations really do reflect the will of the majority, and many times they reflect only the will of a few power mongers. Explore the territory before you take action.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Kayak Jack said:
Greg, I'm not trying to stir the pot, but go get the deed restrictions and reread them. Most homeowners' associations have no real way of enforcing deed restrictions other than voluntary obedience. If it has been embodied into a zoning code, then it has teeth.

It may, or may mot, be worth you ruffling a few feathers. Sometimes associations really do reflect the will of the majority, and many times they reflect only the will of a few power mongers. Explore the territory before you take action.

They actually have the power to put a penalty lien on my house. They aren't really bad it's just that I kind of juked them with the shed I built. It was supposed to have hardi-plank like my house but I used smart panel. By the time someone realized it, it was past the 60 day mark which means it's automatically approved. I'll have to check to see if a lean-to is allowed at all. Sometimes having the HOA sucks but for the most part I'm all for it. We're out in the country so it's a little more lax than some of the other places I've lived.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I didn't get all of the things I wanted to do during the winter but I did just finish painting the the outside. I had to do some repairs so the inside will have to be painted next. I used walmart porch paint in Mallard color then coated it with some interlux goldspar gloss. I think it turned out really nice.

040100_214100.jpg

040100_214000.jpg