What's the bottom width?

What's the side height?

How many sheets & thickness plywood?

How much epoxy and cloth did it take?

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
RE:Kahuna's Boat-Questions???

Weasel, I think this can answer most if not all of your questions: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/cata ... e/bp15.php It will be hard for you to find a more engineered Piroque that was ACTUALLY built first by the designer and then again by a amateur builder that spent three months discussing step by step discussion with the designer on how to improve the boat and make it easier for the first time builder. Before it was even offered to the general public(BTW I received NO MONEY for helping Brian. Just the plans and satisfaction of being involved in such a project!!!!) Just check this out 47 pages of plans not just written instructions and a few crude drawings: Plans Contents:

Perhaps the most complete pirogue plans and assembly information you'll find
anywhere, here's what you get:

A set of professionally produced construction drawings (approximately 11
sheets)
Assembly Notes (approximately 25 pages)
Construction Photos (approximately 11 pages)
Pricing:

Price includes all items listed under Plans Contents above. FREE PLANS!!!
Note that if you send pictures of your completed pirogue to us (email or mail)
-OR- if you purchase 1-1/2 gallons (mixed) or more epoxy from us, then we
will refund the purchase price of your plans (minus original shipping cost).

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Mike, I am building the Uncle John's pirogue, and haven't seen your boat plans. With the Uncle John plans , I saw before hand that there was some "interesting" developments to build them. One : the bottom is laid up by striking a line around the hull. That is ok IF the hull is faired right on both sides. Using 1/8" plywood throws a curve into this tactic as I found out. The four ribs make a nice fair but that is all.... nice... not perfect... which would be nicer....
Looking at pictures of other crafts being build on the web, I noticed that the boats with either a "chine" along the bottom of the hull or the bottom is build/cutout THEN attached to the hulls ( where the hulls are not secured to be fair yet). Hence forms and strongbacks are esitial in making a near perfect, and symetrical bottom to side fit. In my case I cut the bottom pannel over sized and the sanded to fit. I want to get a picture of this and post it to show where some might cut to much and then have to fill a large gap between hull and bottom. There was one point where I thought I had a major problem.... but I'll go into this in my pirogue building posts...
What I wanted to know from you was if the plans you have place the bottom before the hulls were glued to the ribs?
swampy