Kayak Caught Marlin | SouthernPaddler.com

Kayak Caught Marlin

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

I would like to share with you a link to a thread on our Aust Kayak Fishing Forum, that the fishermen here might like. It is a long thread but a very good read.

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a

Picture_065.jpg

78 Kg Marlin on 30 pound braid. No mother ship fishing in this one. The bloke launched through surf, paddled off shore, hooked, played and landed this fish on his own. The only assistance he recieved was in walking the played out fish through the surf zone. - Legend! :D

There are lots of piccies of the area where this was caught - South West Rocks on the New South Wales Central Coast. Really nice part of our country.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Picture woulda been a lot nicer had it been of the fish being released. Not opposed to eating the odd fish, mebbe a coupla dozen in forty five years fishing and ONLY if they was damaged being caught. Just my opinion, but that's way too special to end up with its throat cut and folks grinning 'bout it.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
John,

The fish was eaten mate. I am told they are particularly good, cut into steaks and barbequed as this one was that night.

If you read the thread, you will see it is no easy thing to C&R 78 kilos of angry marlin from a kayak - especially after you have fought the beast from that kayak for in excess of 3 hours and been towed more than 4 kilometres.

It was Paulo's fish, he caught it and it was his decision. I respect his right to do with it as he so chooses. I only hope to one day be in a position where I have to make such a decision. :D

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I think good practice might be to tie on to one of those jet skis and try to reel it in from your kayak. Then when you do fight its driver with just your pocket knife while he has a sword.

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
Thanks for sharing. That's a fantastic story. To have hooked it the way he did and still make it in is stagering odds. He should have put some money on the ponys that day also! Makes you wish you were there.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Personally , I am with the catch and release group of folks out there , NO ...Not by choice by the darn fish. Every time I get one near the boat he releases himself.
Chuck.

It's always the biggest one that got away....right Chuckles? :roll: