Kayak Jacks Power Bars............... | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Kayak Jacks Power Bars...............

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
......The steamboat Sultana was a Mississippi River paddlewheeler destroyed in an explosion on 27 April 1865, resulting in the greatest maritime disaster in United States history. An estimated 1,700 of the Sultana's 2,400 passengers were killed when one of the overcrowded ship's four boilers exploded and the Sultana sank not far from Memphis, Tennessee. This disaster was less noticed than it might have been, however, because of the recent assassination of President Abraham Lincoln and the end of the Civil War.

or......The sultana (also called the sultanina or sultani) is a type of white, seedless grape of Turkish origin. It is also the name given to the raisin made from it; such sultana raisins are often called simply sultanas or sultanis. These are typically larger than the currants made from Zante grapes, but smaller than "normal" raisins. .........."Bloody Aussies" :lol: ....but "Mick" is improving my word skills.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
:lol: :lol:

Heya Guys, These bars are terrific!!!

Robin and I went on an exploratory paddle today and i will do a trip report when I get some piccies uploaded.

I only had toast for breakfast and paddled all day on nothing but the power bars. Each one was like an energy injection :D

Oh yeah, my brother is correct, Sultanas are dried grapes and are very popular here. if you can get them, I would recommend you try them on your cerial instead of sugar or even in addition to it.

I forgot to mention, we also put a cup of dried dates in the mix too. More coconut and sweet, dark chocolate will be going into the next lot. :D

A little rum mixed in as well, would make them manner from heaven. :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Doc dont want me ta eat nuts 'er seeds. If I do they gotta shove a camera up my arse 'n cut out polyps.....least that iz what they tell me. I used ta make my own granola/trail mix....very much like Truthful Jack's Power Bars. I put the oatmeal in a big bowl with salty nuts, honey 'n water. Mix it up good, then spread it out on a tray in a low heat oven til it begins ta brown. [Ya gotta stir 'n turn it a few times.] It makes the house smell good. After it cools down, put it in a tight lid jar.

At home I'd cover a bowl of the mix with plain non-fat yogurt....then add some fruit, usually raisins, but if there wuz strawberries, boysenberries, Snozeberries, etc. I would add 'em. [In Georgia, I reckon ya add peaches.] Before I set out on a expedishun, I'd mix some with dry fruit in one of them Nalgene jars. When ya snack on this stuff, ya kin last quite a while. M&M's would be okay if ya aint wearin' a big layer of blubber. :wink: I reckon I kin last a few months off it, some water 'n poke salad......'n a cup a java in the mornin'.....'n a bottle of sippin' whiskey......'n a cheeseburger 'er two....mebbe a glass of buttermilk. :mrgreen:

That Key West Lime Juice sounds like a good test....small scale.

I like peanuts. I used ta chop 'n crush 'em ta go with the slivered almonds. I never added pecans cuz it seems like I have always lived underneath pecan trees. Cashews should be good. Mmmm........

While it would likely be close, I figger the power bars come out ahead on the tongue test, but the granola comes out on top bein' eazy ta tote in a boat 'er in the woods. Ya dont ever git yer fingers sticky 'er worry bout ants. :lol: :lol:

regards
bearridge

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.  Patrick Henry

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yep, I've used dates too. Had some left over dried fruit - bananas, apricots, papaya, etc. Just dropped it all in. Be sure to separate all the little sticky-bits and roll them liberally in that powdered milk so they don't clump up together, but spread evenly throughout the mix.

Dried cherries are a favorite of mine. Unsweetened chocolate bits (good for the heart - cough cough), and will add coconut next time.

Frankly, if you hew somewhat in the territory, I think you can't make them wrong. And then at lunch, I like some admixture of 2 or 3 of the following: beef or turkey jerky, dry roasted peanuts, dried cherries, dates, etc. separately. I like to wash it all down with some Earl Grey tea.

Terribly healthful for us, and keeps the inner machinery running regular to boot.