Kayak Jacks Power Bars............... | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Kayak Jacks Power Bars...............

islandpiper

OK, back to the basics. Does anyone make these as originally designed? Does anybody really eat them except for Jack, of course?

I haven't made a batch yet, pending your suggestions of the absolute BEST rendition. I am looking for something I can substitue for breakfast, and possibly lunch, in the shop, not on the trail or river. So, I have a bottle of Maalox handy, just in case.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper-san, try the original recipe first, then try adaptations. No Maalox necessary. Try baking them about 15 minutes LONGER than the original recipe.

As I said above, a couple of these and some jerky will run me through breakfast and lunch in a day of paddling & walking.

islandpiper

Well.......got oatmeal on the way b ack from the hospital today, and some applesauce. headed out to the kitchen to make some Power Bars. May have to get some grits in there someplace, sust so they qualify as dinner food. If I'm not back by Wednesday, call 911 for me.

cheers, Piper

islandpiper

OK.....they are out of the oven. Tested them on our Brazilian Exchange student. She says they are very good. Guess I'll get brave , maybe tomorrow, and try 'em too.

Next time I may subtitute gritz for the oatmeal and leave everything else out, that'd be good. Sprinkle a little grated cheese on top......serve 'em with a nice pork roast......yup,

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Iz she a gymnast? I been lookin' fer one myownself.
1244.gif

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
... Next time I may substitute gritz for the oatmeal and leave everything else out, that'd be good. Sprinkle a little grated cheese on top......serve 'em with a nice pork roast......yup
even though I've invited folks to do variegated power bars, usin' gritz would be too far - an abomination upon me and Batty Cracker too. Now, if you was to use'em as body paint a pretty girls, then using gritz that way would be OK.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Years ago, some "artist" smeared paint all over a nude Ann Margaret and other models. They then rolled on a blank canvas about 10' X 12'.

I didn't buy any of his paintings but cleaned the brushes for $25. (Woulda been more, but that's all I could afford to pay then.)

islandpiper

There's been a lot of talk about Kayak Jack's Power Bars. Yup, they are good, and have bailed me out a couple of times when there just wasn't any other food available, traveling or working.

I always wondered about the shelf life of these little morsels and finally have an answer. Last time I made them I baked up two cookie trays and set them back to cool. I cut up one tray and the phone rang, then the cable guy came, then.....well, you get the picture. Anyway, that second tray sat there for , hmmm......a couple of months, till it released itself off the tray. I found it, noticed it was about the same size as my old VCR and decided to use it for shelf stock and build some interesting furnishings.

Cutting the miters on the ends was a challenge as the raisins gummed up the blade, but on the other hand, driving the screws was easy as the chocolate chips sort of lubed up the screws.

I gave it a quick coat of lacquer and WOW! Pretty nice. Sort of OLD HIPPIE MODERN, a real step above the cinder blocks and lumber we used to use.

So, that's the story: the true shelf life of Kayak Jack's Power Bars.

Cheers, Piper

islandpiper

A couple of weeks ago a young fellow stopped in to visit us for a few days here in Ponchatoula as he rode his fully loaded bike through the South. He was headed for the Natchez trace, then up into Alabama, then Ohio, then over to Iowa.....up into Minnesota, back to the center of Wisconsin and home to Iron River Michigan. He rides his bike each year to raise money for the Iron County Cancer Unit, a sort of lending closet of medical equipment for families in need.

He sampled my KAYAK JACK POWER BARS and declared that they were just what he neededd to start off his days on the road. He was impressed with the healty ingredients and chewey texture. So, he cleaned out my stash and packed his old bike and hit the road.

Doing this each year for the last seven years he has raised money and lots of awarness of the need for help. He has over 26,000 miles on to date. Oh, the young fellow is an old friend from my hometown in Michigan and he is 64-years old!!

Anybody up for a bike ride?

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
He is biking to help folks and doing something worth while and you have the NERVE to give him some of Jack's Power bars.

My God Man the pore guy will never be the same again and if the cops could ever catch him on his bike they will never let him out of jail. I sure hope the cops out there have some souped up cars that might be able to get up behind him , I am positive they don't have anything that will pass him after he has one of those bars. :lol:

Yep ... I like them also. :D

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Friend, Grand Wizard, Jack, :D

You are a bloody legend mate!!!

Robin and I made some of these this afternoon and they are brilliant!! :D

We souped the brew up some, Added a cup of dessicated coconut, a cup of blueberries, a cup of Crushed almonds, some organic ginger, sultanas, and cinnamon :D . We cut it into 44 slices and there is allmost a feed in each one. :D

Seriously good tucker mate. :D

Miss Robin doin her thang.

IMGP0619640x480.jpg

Hairy helpin. :D

IMG_1889640x480.jpg

pattin down.

IMG_1890640x480.jpg

end result.

IMGP0622640x480.jpg

IMGP0623_edited-1640x480.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
I AM BLINDED,. HELP ME HELP ME.

It had to be the 2nd picture from the top that did it to you , It set me back 60 years and to think this is a family forum. :roll:

The lovely ( eye pleasing) photos of Ms.Robin were a pleasure to see and to see she is doing so good , who could ask for anything more :D but that one picture ( some guy without his hat on ) I have found it makes a good screen saver and bug repellent for the web.

Heck when I saw it , all the viruses in the computer , the servers for this computer and web site left , screaming and like you blinded. We have found a new weapon of individual destruction. :lol:

Chuckles.
PS. Think we can use him as a poster paddler for Kayak Jacks Power Bars ?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Glad you like them, Robin & Mick. This recipe, (like every other one I use) begs to be modified. WTH is a sultana?

I add nuts of all kinds because they taste so darned good. Yakus Comicus added Grape Nuts cereal. I had increased the apple sauce, but they got too gooey, so I backed off again.

I consider them a "woodchopper's breakfast". That means I can eat one or two, and chop wood all day without getting hungry. My supper, though, will get very decadent.