Kayak Jack's Power Bars | SouthernPaddler.com

Kayak Jack's Power Bars

islandpiper

Been a while since we saw this heading here. Jack must be out wiping oil off the plane tonight. I asked for the recipe and he has not written back.

Does anyone have the final recipe for these?

thanks, Piper (Always on the look out for multi-tasking foods.....like granola bar/door stops.)

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2642

Power Bars
6 cups oatmeal;
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans or almonds;
1 cup sunflower seeds;
1 cup raisins;
1 cup dried cranberries or cherries (raisins, cherries, or cranberries are sticky, separate them and dust them with pre-measured milk powder before adding to the mix);
1 cup powdered milk;
1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
1 cup applesauce;
1 cup + 4 Tbsp honey - (Warming the honey for about 30 seconds in the microwave helps).

Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add applesauce and honey and mix again. Press firmly into 12" X 17" baking pan w/ raised edges, and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sorry, Li'l Brother. I was out to dinner with an elegant lady. I see Jimmy saved my bacon, again. Thanks.

Ingredients can vary on these. Before IU make a batch, I usually scour the cupboard and under cushions of chairs and couches to see what dried fruit or nuts is available. When you dice up sticky-bits (figs, dates, rainins, etc.) be sure to break them into individual pieces, and roll all of them in the powdered milk. This will keep them from clumping into a wad, and allow them to evenly distribute throughout the mix.

I store my extras in a ziploc bag in the freezer, but they will keep as an emeregency ration in a car or boat for a long time. They will keep you paddling and going for hours.