Kids Fishin | SouthernPaddler.com

Kids Fishin

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Guys,
Just thought I would like to share this with you.

Hervey Bay has a public pier that is frequented by a lot of kids who fish for our regular pan fish, ie flathead, bream, whiting etc.

It also has a lot of seriously hard core kids who are known locally as Pier Rats.

These are good kids who just love their fishing and in particular, targeting serious pelagics from the pier. They can be seen there at any hour of the day or night and have made up a sort of pier trolley to cart all their assorted gear out to the end. (mile & a half.) these trolleys have everything on them, cooler, rod holders, takcleboxes chair etc.

They pull their fish onto the jetty by means of a 3 hook gaff set up tied to strong rope. They swim the fish over the gaff, set the hooks and then often it is a team effort to skull drag the beast up onto the jetty. ( about 25 feet)

Black King or Cobia,
blackking.jpg

Blue fin Tuna
bluefintuna.jpg

broad barred Spanish mackeral.

broadbarredmackeral.jpg

Spannish mackeral

spammishmac2.jpg

Spotty mackeral
spotty.jpg

Whaler Shark

whaler.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Good on 'em. Too bad our MTV kids caint do az well. :cry:

regards
bearridge

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by encouraging class hatred. You cannot help the poor
by destroying the rich. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn. You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves. Abraham
Lincoln

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Blimey!

I took my kids to the pier to learn to fish and they were impressed with a bright green wrasse (at a staggering 6" or 15cm!).

Those guys are serious. Good on 'em.