Kill'n time... | SouthernPaddler.com

Kill'n time...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
No boiled peanuts here Keith. :cry: But at 0500 Sat, the rental car will will be pointed about 176 degrees for about 650 miles. Next week will have plenty of beer, boiled peanuts and oysters! :p Back to my second and favorite home...Savannah! :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

What kinda rented car? Shelby convertible? Why dont ya jest fly down? Ya gotta be careful down here in a rental car. :cry:

I hope ya dont plan ta drive rite thru? How bout stayin' in Cleveland, Tennessee (more'n half way)? Sunday mornin', ya drive thru the Ocoee gorge, then over thru the Nantahala National Forest & gorge, then the short cut along the Little Tennessee River past Smokin' Joe's new home, outside Franklin then back on the highroads fer oletimers?

regards
bearridge

ps Mac sez he iz lookin' fer a year round rv site jest west of Franklin. I dont think he knew that iz where Joe jest built hiz new home.

Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Well William.....Whatever car they give me is the one I drive. I'm hop'n for a Crown Vic....Now that is a Geezer Icon horseless carriage! I'll turn on the right turn signal and leave it on for the entire time I'm on the road! 8)
Now, as for for airline flying...for the birds I say! :x It takes 10 1/2 hours for me to drive it, OR 8 to 12 hours on the airlines! When you die and on your way to hell, you need to change planes in Atlanta. :( Plus I have my car full of my stuff and can set my own schedule. Also lets me load the cooler with some of that fine GA wild shrimp to take home! :p
As far as routing....It's 79 S out of SW PA.....19S thru WV....77 thru VA and Carolinas.....26 around Charleston.....95 in GA for a short spell and I'm there. Driving gives me a chance to see the rivers I paddled when a younger man filled my shoes. New, Cheat, Gauley. If I have the time, I enjoy driving. :) After this trip however....I really need to stay home for awhile to regroup, I have been on the road quite a bit lately. I still need to get to Nashville for a week(job related) in Oct or November.... :?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
It takes 10 1/2 hours for me to drive it, OR 8 to 12 hours on the airlines! When you die and on your way to hell, you need to change planes in Atlanta.
Nope....when ya die 'n go ta hell, ya git off in Atlanta.

650 miles in 10.5 hours iz some hard drivin'....ya gotta be there Saturnday?

Ever tried ta drive like the High Sheriff? 300 miles iz a full day. We done some of that out west. Made me wonder if he aint all the way crazy. :wink:

Knoxville aint all that far outta the way 'n if ya hit the road early, ya kin see Ocoee gorge 'n spend the nite in Ducktown 'er Murphy, NC? There are some nice lookin' motels in the valley (awesome view, kinda like out west) near Andrews, NC....jest a few miles west of the Nantahala gorge.

If ya dont have ta be there til Monday, I hate ta see ya pass up the Olympic site 'n the lower Ocoee gorge. I know yer comin' ta the Lost Mines agin, but it will be harder ta add an hour ta that drive.

regards
bearridge

The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange protein; it rejects it.  P. B. Medawar

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Yer right about Atlanta William. Only place in Joja I don't like. :?
I aim to make it to Lost Minds again and hang with my buds....time to do it is in the balance. Also aim to see Ocoee someday as well.
Been doing this Savannah run 25 years....it's long but a cakewalk drive. Speed limit is 70 in most states, means you can safely cruise at 77 before the fuzz even look at you. At 77 MPH alot are passing you up anyway. I need to average about 60MPH to make 10 1/2 hours. If I dilly dally it can take up to 12 hours. Most times it's a classic pit stop, drain the sumps and refuel, back on the track.

It's a 105 miles to Chicago....We got a half a pack of cigarettes...a full tank of gas....it's dark...and were wearing sunglasses...HIT IT!
Jake and Elwood
Blues Brothers

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As far as the worse places to drive , Orlando and Detroit ranked together in the #10 spot.
Atlanta , San Francisco and Washington D.C. ranked together in the #4 spot with Los Angeles taking the #1 spot.

If I had to give the world an enema it would have to be Atlanta as the insertion point.:p

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Those places in the states OK.....The world? I would have to chose Mexico City(just try breathing there), Istanbul, some South American citys, alot of African large citys, drug infested Sweden..............you would run out of enemas if were talking the world. :?

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
I drive OTR for a local trucking company here and go to Atlanta at least once a month and it is not the worst area to drive in. New York City after 5:00 AM is the worst place to drive. People are rude as well as impatient. I go to NYC once every two months and that is too much. I don't think Atlanta is too bad as long as you get where you are going before 6:00 AM. Detroit has very poorly maintained roads, which cause their own set of problems. I have driven in all the major cities east of the Mississippi and my vote goes to NYC. By the way, I drive about 125,00 miles a year and have traveled on all the major highways in this country. The last few years tho', only east of the Mississippi because I don't like to be gone anymore than two days or so. I usually rest for a couple of days, then do it again.
I think the worst drivers are in the Northeast (but everyones driving habits are getting worse.) The worst roads are in PA and MI.

The drivers that I work with all drive to the major cities every day. Here is a typical schedule for one day in the week:

3 trucks to NYC
2 trucks to Philadelphia
1 truck to Pittsburgh
2 trucks to all cities in OH
2 trucks to Newark NJ area
1 truck to Boston & New England cities
2 trucks to Atlanta (includes areas of AL and GA)

This schedule varies a little bit but that is generally the major cities we go to every day. Multiply that by five and that is a typical week. Plus we go to all 48 states.

I like the Atlanta run and I do it a lot because then I can eat gritzzzzz and hush puppies while I am down there. People up here(in the Northeast) don't know what they are missing.

Old Yak: I go to Atlanta taking the same route you described: I-79 to 19 in WV, Then 77 to 85 and 85 into Atlanta. That is a pretty ride. The early morning fog in the valleys on RT 19 are very beautiful. And I am always amazed at the height of the bridge on 19 where the sky divers jump off. I wonder how it was built?

JC

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
JC.....Your a trucker so you know about the widow maker.....I-80 in PA. :shock:
Our roads are terrible and yet our taxes are amoung the highest! Fast Eddie is our Guv'na! Shifty Rendell..... :roll:

Your right, that route South is pretty and after 25 years I never get tired of it. That New river bridge is high, I paddled the New River that runs underneath it, nice rapids, the view up is awsome. One skydiver drowned in his chute when he hit the water a number of years ago.

At over 3,000 feet long and almost 900' high, it's a marvel. Ever stop at the visitor center on the North side.....pretty interesting. http://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/nrgbridge.htmRemember the TV commercial with the Ford Tri-motor flying alongside the bridge? If your driving thru Washington, PA on 79S, let me know sometime, I'll buy ya a coffee. Wife would appreciate me getting out of the house!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_River_Gorge_Bridge

http://www.officialbridgeday.com/

I'd guess WV is probably in the top ten for beautiful country side, rivers, and mountains.

I'm sure you know all about the speed trap in Summersville, WV. :wink:

islandpiper

Oldyakker.....heck, why not just take a year off and visit EVERYONE.....

i rafted under the New River Bridge when it was stilll under construction. big man-nets hung under it, and those crazy men swinging BIG hammers knocking everything together. My concern for that moment was that the BIG hammers could have come right through that net. Let's see.....900 feet at an accelleration rate of 23 feet/second/second......hmm.....would have hit the raft at about 4000 MPH or so....well, pretty fast anyway.

Have a great time, eat lots of oysters, they're good for us old fartes......put some lead in your pencil.

Piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
Have a great time, eat lots of oysters, they're good for us old fartes......put some lead in your pencil.
Piper

I ain't got anybody to write to Keith.... :cry:

I'll still pack away dozens of oysters and pints of beer! Thanks for the well wishes. You'll be sitting on the bar stool next to me at the Oyster Bar, if in spirit only! :wink: :D

I enclose a picture so you can recognize the place when walking to it. I'll be on the other side of the bar with a brew waiting for ya! :wink:
SAV-0107%20035.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
islandpiper said:
... BIG hammers could have come right through that net. Let's see.....900 feet at an acceleration rate of 23 feet/second/second......hmm.....would have hit the raft at about 4000 MPH or so....well, pretty fast anyway.
Even worse, Piper San, acceleration due to Earth's gravity is 32 feet per second per second. Woulda given you a bad headache.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
jdupre' said:
Let's see some scores! I got 320 ft. on a REALLY GOOD bounce and slide.

Joey

Dupre' Lets just say......ya beat beat me by a long shot. :roll: