Lake Bistineau Short Fishing Trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Lake Bistineau Short Fishing Trip

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
IMG_0126.jpg

Launched at state park landing 5/12/09 for a couple hour trip. There really is water and a boat ramp under that mess ( giant salvania). It was a very fun time. I caught and released five bass. The were all nice size. This is a picture of the largest:

IMG_0129.jpg

beekeeper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
NIce lookin' lake, but how bout them skeeters? Ya'll do anythin' down in the swamp ta keep 'em knocked back 'er jest rub down in skeeter dope?

I see ya got a Coleman Extreme cooler. Does it work? Swamprat's dont work worth a dang 'n mine dont do what the add sez....five days. Well, it mite work five days with block ice if I dont open it.

regards
bearridge
southern test facility

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Having given up fishing in favor of motorbikes and girls, I'm not currently proficient. But, as I remember, the object of fishing is to catch fish. why do you release them?

Now, I have to admit that, from time to time, I've traded in both motorbikes and girls for better ones. But, I never released five in a row. They, on the other hand, have released me - often precipitously and unceremoniously.
Ungrateful wretches, they were. Didn't realize what a golden guy they had.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
But, as I remember, the object of fishing is to catch fish. why do you release them?

"Catching "being the operative word. :) Formula for good fishing. 1. Fool the fish in his own enviornment. 2. Appreciate the fight and energy of a wild creature. 3. Once in hand, admire said wild creature and return him to be maybe be appreciated by another fisherman. Eating fish is a welcome but strictly optional choice.

Damn, starting to sound like a danged tree hugger. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
jdupre' said:
...Eating fish is a welcome but strictly optional choice. ...
As long as it's "optional", that's OK with me. I don't share the "welcome" part with fresh water fish. Seafood is another story.

But, I just don't see the release part, no matter how much explanation I read or hear. Just an old hunter, I guess.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joey...

I agree with you , catch all that you want , keep a few for a meal and toss the rest back , they will be there another day for you or someone else to enjoy , both in the sport and in the eating. If anything they just might be a shade bigger so less are needed for the next good meal.

Plus I'm not a dam Tree Hugger , just a person who wants our kids to enjoy what we/I like. "O"ooop's , might be a tree hugger to a degree , especially when it comes to camping in the hammock I do have some Tree Huggers for the camping hammock but not for me. :lol:

Chuck.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
bearridge
Skeeters are Louisiana Official State Birds, politicians think it's illegal to kill them. Actually just too many. Some things man has not conquered, and are beyond our control (hurricanes, etc.). I just bath in repellent, and wonder if they like skinny people also. The cooler works fine storing my tel. wallet, etc. while I fish. I have not used it as a cooler, sorry. Usually takes at least 8 to 10 lbs. ice for 1/2 day of fishing once it gets hot here in any of the coolers I have used. I bought a small marine igloo to use when it gets hot.

gator
Your lucky this stuff is not cold tolerant.It can double every three days. Be vigilant they didn't' think it would survive this far north.

Made note of releasing the fish to avoid being lambasted by the "catch and release only" crowd. I did release them, but next time may different. I fish because I'm too lazy to hunt. If you kill it you have to clean it.
The trip was very enjoyable. The water is high and the cypress limbs are touching the water. This makes for very close and challenging casting. It is so much fun to catch fish out of a boat I built. A 4lb. bass can pull a Croc around.

beekeeper