Lake Jessup-just looking | SouthernPaddler.com

Lake Jessup-just looking

Eichhornia

Sep 22, 2006
Florida
Drove over to Lake Jessup park just to see. Not a bad location to put in, didn't see a single gator.

DSCF0677.jpg

DSCF0681.jpg

DSCF0683.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
They (the Gators) must have been shopping or at the movies, last count was between 10,000 and 12,000 in the lake.

The state does not allow hunting in there for them since the lake is a breeding area where the Game Commission likes to raid there nests to supply eggs to the commercial Gator farms.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ole Sparkey,

How bout a fried gator egg, cheese grits (extra sharp Wisconsin) with Zatarains, country ham 'n a Popeye biscuit? Fried gator iz mitey tasty too.

Ever ate gator sausage?

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. unknown

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
To answer your question.....

Does a bear ....... better not go there :oops: .....Lets just say does the sun rise in the East?

NOPE... Everything but the sausage, does sound good. I especially like the Gator nuggets when they are seasoned up good and spicy, floured and dropped in some hot grease for a swim..... down right good.

Turtle nuggets are not half bad either...... Folks a nugget is a chunk of meat about an inch by an inch. Just the right size for popping them in the mouth, no need for a fork, no sir no need at all it just slows ya down. :roll:

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
When this picture made the rounds a few years back, it was said to be a gator in Lake Jessup. I dont know if that is true or not. Always heard that Jessup had the largest population of gators around. He's a bigg'un.

th_gator1.jpg

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dangermouse01 said:
When this picture made the rounds a few years back, it was said to be a gator in Lake Jessup. I dont know if that is true or not. Always heard that Jessup had the largest population of gators around.
DM

Jessup is full of Gators and there are some really .... BIG ONES.... in there , some old timers that you sure don't want to mess with or have them mess with you :p

Go out on the lake any night and shine a light around, it looks like a dozen semis that were loaded down with reflectors had a wreck and lost all of them in the lake.

Chuck.

Eichhornia

Sep 22, 2006
Florida
We took the canoe out on Lake Jessup last Monday.
The mullet were jumping like crazy. The water is very murky so there were a lot more close jumps than we've had before, I was convinced we'd take home a boat full of fish and we didn't even have a fishing pole! Do you need a fishing permit if the fish are all committing suicide?
By the afternoon there was some actual foam and waves...on a lake. It was kinda cute the way it was trying so hard to act like ocean.
DSCF0701.jpg

DSCF0704.jpg

Still, no gators. I think it's all a big joke so the locals can keep Lake Jessup to themselves! :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looks like you put in at the park on the end of South Sanford Ave. That is a busy spot and most of the gators are across the lake, over at the West end around Soldiers Creek or to the East around Bird (Jane) Island also Little or Big Gator point across the flats.

Now if you drop a boat in there ( South Sanfor Ave) at night ... just shine a good light around out in the lake and see all the red reflectors which are not there during the day.
They are there .... trust me on that. :wink:

Chuck.

Eichhornia

Sep 22, 2006
Florida
We went to Lake Jessup Park, sorta went toward Soldiers Creek then considered going closer to Central Winds Park to see if a person COULD access the water there but then decided that we probably wouldn't bring the canoe to the Highland Games anyway and sorta swung back. I was thinking next time we might try for that Black Hammock restaurant I saw online. It looks like a long haul, but might be fun if we don't get swamped by an airboat coming out of there.

http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/lls/par ... o.asp?id=9