Lake Mijinemungshing Ontario - Sep 04 | SouthernPaddler.com

Lake Mijinemungshing Ontario - Sep 04

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Tales from the log of the Ruptured Duck

Day# 1, Saturday 11 Sep 04: We traveled to, and paddled on, Lake Mijinemungshing, 11-18 September 2004. The group is Charlie Parmelee, Doug McDougal, Jon Young, Bud Hart, Al Dasen, Kevin King, Duane Niemi, Gerry Morin, and me - Jack Voss.

We’d agreed to meet at the Flap Jack Shack restaurant in between Lansing & East Lansing, and depart NLT 06:00. Dougie and I are traveling together, and we got there at 06:17. We wouldn’t live that down for awhile. Duane and Gerry are to rendezvous with us at the State rest stop immediately north of the straits. I handed out 2-way radios so we could all keep in contact on the road.

Anyone with deep trouble was to coordinate by calling Charlie Parmelee’s cell phone. DARN! Before we hit the straits, Gerry called and reported in that he would be a day late – tire problems. Duane was ready and waiting at the straits so we made a short pit stop, made introductions around, and pressed on. We stopped at the US side of the Soo (Sault Sainte Marie MI) for lunch and fuel (cheaper on the US side).

The duty free shop, traveler’s information, and customs went well. Some guys bought fishing licenses. Getting out of the Canadian side of the Soo (Sault Sainte Marie Ontario) was a hassle. There are lots of turns and traffic lights. AARRGGHH!! We were soon on the open road – Trans-Canada Highway 17. Stopping at Agawa Bay Campground, we paid our fees and filled out the permits (Permit# 14237 for Dougie & me). Some guys bought a raffle ticket for a canoe. I picked up some brightly colored paper for use as signs for Gerry to follow.

On arrival at Mijinemungshing (Miji), about 16:00, (N47° 42.024' W84° 43.644') it was raining and misting. We off-loaded, parked, and loaded the boats. We got away from the dock at about 16:55. We had some camps in mind that were good choices – “group Site# 23 was a choice. BAD! Cruddy landing and only enough sites for maybe three tents – REJECT.

Bud and I led the way to the point and site# 20 - full already. However, we met new paddlers. From the Canadian side of the Soo, came Erich Eppert [email protected] and John ??. Erich runs a kayak building shop in the Soo. We briefly talked boats etc. and said they’d be gone by 10:00 – 11:00 the next morning. They also advised us that site# 22 on the S’ly side of the adjacent island had three tents of guys from Traverse City MI who would leave Monday morning. And finally, suggested we take a look at the group site# 15 & 16 on the island just off the dock. We did, and that’s where we set up camp in the mist.

Three years ago (by date) is when the terrorists hit the twin trade towers and Pentagon. Others have forgiven them; it’s my personal wish that they are suffering mightily somewhere.

Day# 2, Sunday 12 Sep 04: We awoke to wind and rain. About 10:30, Erich & John came by on their way home. They stopped and we introduced ourselves all around. They stayed for about an hour talking boats. Erich likes Bud’s new stripper kayak. Bud likes that comment a lot.
Charlie explained about the Quiet Water Symposium held the first Saturday of March at Michigan State University. Erich is considering coming down to display. He and John know Gary & Joanie McGuffin. We had a good talk and enjoyed it a lot.

That was the highlight of the day, unless watching Kevin take naps (one of three hours!) all day can be considered more exciting. We all kind of relaxed, napped, read, talked, and endured the damned wind of 20 – 25 mph racing through camp. We reminisced, got acquainted around.

About 14:30, everybody else except Kev paddled off to the NE’ly arm. I made a navigational error and went all around an island at the mouth of the arm. Jon’s GPS pointed out the error and we got off again. We visited sites# 7, 9, & 8. Charlie & Doug walked a trail to Lake Almonte (sites# 4 & 5). We had a late dinner & evening chats.

About 20:30 I noticed alight flashing out on the lake. I walked down to the beach and shouted, “Hello?â€Â

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Did you ever find out where Al keeps his washer & Dryer along with the iron for his outfits or are they just dropped to him from an airplane at night when everyone is sound asleep :?:

I wish Swampy and I could have made the trip ...... then you could have really found out what it is like to camp in the rain, Ya know Swampy does make it rain when he is out in the woods and blames me for it. :roll:

All in all it sounds like you guy's did have a good time and that is what counts. Paddling, companionship, the water & woods with the critters and some quiet time, almost a full moon ..... The best thing's a person can have if you are unable to have a big bowl of hot gritz. :lol:

Chuck.
PS.... You did not say anything about what you camped in ........ Hammock or tent :?:

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Miji------

Hey guys: Just a few comments on the Miji trip. Number 1---Tell Swampy the people at the registration site told us there were no BEAR activities (to their knowledge)--or maybe there were some at the Old Woman Lake--but no one has returned to report any such activity--What did that mean? Some of the guys hung their food up high each night--just in case. I hooked a fish--about a four pound brook trout. No. I'm not lieing. Those lakes have only two kinds of fish. Lake trout and brook trout. Duanes trout was about 2 pounds, caught it casting from shore ion front of the campsite. Brought it into camp and showed it to everybody then released it. I didn't think it would live but zzziiipppp it was gone. I hooked mine casting from the canoe with Duane as my bowman. I casted out and hollered fish on. It took three or four runs and Zipped of lots of line before I finally got it close to the boat. I steered it forward so Duane could hoist it into the boat (no nets along on this trip) and found out the fish in this lake are not like the pike and walleyes we usually catch up here. This fish, when it saw Duane reaching down for it, tailwalked just like a marlin, throwing the spoon back and forth until it threw it back at the canoe. Man was that something to see. We guessed it was about four pounds. The biggest brookie I've ever seen. My biggest brook trout was caught on the Au Sable 30 years ago about one mile from my house and still remember it. I would've mounted this baby if I'd brought it into the boat. It gives me a real good reason to go back there and try it again someday (soon I hope). On the way home we stopped to gas up in the American Soo and talked to some guys that had been into the bush for 18 days, catching fish every day until Tuesday; they just stopped biting. Yep, the day we started trying for them. Just our luck, but fishing was just the icing on the cake. The hills were starting to take on their fall colors and the migrating birds and nature at its finest made the effort all worth while.

I found out Jack is a city boy. He's never seen Sandhill cranes flying? Jack --- come out to my house and watch me chase those ba---ss off my lawn. I have recently even resorted to shooting the shotgun over their heads and they only fly fifty yards out into the fields and the second I'm gone they're right back into my lawn turning over the grass to get at the Junebug grubs. Those dirty buggers. They've made a mess of my lawn. At Miji the two flocks that flew over could be heard for miles and miles. What a beautiful sight (and sound).

Another thing of interest that should be conveyed to our friends on the forum is that when I called Bud on the 10th, to set a time for my to pick him up and load up (we planned on loading up that night) He begged of until the morning of the 11th. I wondered why until I discovered that morning when we loaded his new stripper kayak on top of my van it wasn't dry. Still tacky. He had finished it about midnight. I found out he hadn't tested it; found out if his gear would all fit inside; he hadn't paddled a kayak since he was sixteen; and man he's got guts. We dried it as we drove North to the big Miji and let me tell you he handled that boat like the pro that he is. Every time we stopped for gas, pit stop, or whatever kind of stop the people dropped whatever they were doing and walked over to see those two beautiful stripper boats on top of my van. Makes one mighty proud. Had trouble getting my head back inside to restart the trip North.

The only thing that was tough for me about this trip is in the provincial parks we had to eat off picnic tables. Now that is different. How in the world do they get picnic tables miles and miles back into the bush, over nearly impassable portages, and build firepits and other immenities one finds in roadside stops. In spite of this unusual characteristic the scenery is nearly unbeatable and the wildlife is breathtaking.

Hope we get to all do it again and wish some other forum followers get to join us on the next one. Your friend "Dapper Al".

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) You did not say anything about what you camped in ........ Hammock or tent :?:
Hammock, of course. Haven't slept in a tent since I got the hammock. Had to sleep on the ground two nights when we camped on a 1 acre island with trees too spindly to hold me up. Bud & Charlie were in hammocks too.

One on the air chambers in Al's canoe has a washer-dryer combo enclosed within. He keeps an extension cord in the other air chamber.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

If you are having problems finding trees to hold you while snoring in the hammock .............

Can I offer two words of friendly advice that can correct the problem.

Weight Watchers. :lol: :lol: :lol: snicker , snicker , choke , gasp , snort , snicker , cough.......

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Our group was disbanded because one member refused to bring the Hot Fudge and Carmel toppings for the ice cream.

Do you know how plain ice cream (even Rocky Road) is without all of the toppings on it :p

Chuck
Besides no one lost any weight , some gained a few pounds. :lol:

Hi guys.

Glad to hear you had a very nice trip up in the Great White North. It was great meeting fellow builders and water enthusiast. Has Jack varnished his kayak yet?

Our six day trip was about the same as what you described. We fished for five days and never got a bite. Oh well there is always next year. You did see more wildlife than we did, and I don't mean the ones is WAWA either. That Canadian Tire has everything you could possible want. Geriatric pate! Who'd ov thunk. Another high lite of our trip too.

John Wendling and I were surprised that the leaves on the hills were still green with a hint of colour. This has been a very unusual year for the fall colours. Here in the Sault we still have a lot of green. (October 03, 04)

We try to make this an annual affair going to Mijin and camping out. John wants to get away from cell phones and pagers. This area works out great. It's nice to get lost every once in a while.

Let us know the next time you guys come up. Maybe we can coordinaite our arrival time. Sounds like a fun time.

Again thanks for the offer of the coffee.

Best regards, Erich Eppert.

Mijin%20Sept%2004.jpg

What fishing in Mijin really looked like.

Regards, Erich

A

Anonymous

Erich said:
John wants to get away from cell phones and pagers. This area works out great. It's nice to get lost every once in a while.

Friend Erich,

Aint it the truth. :wink:

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

Government, even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, and intolerable one.
Thomas Paine

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Miji - Welcome Aboard, Erich

Hey there, big guy, good to hear from you. Usually, we welcome new members aboard in the "General" niche, but since you posted here I'll perform that function in situ.

Guys, Erich teaches other folks how to build boats. Questions about building will certainly field some useful answers from him. He's about as good a fisherman as any of the fellows in our crew, except Duane, and maybe Al. Of course, it helps if you fish a lake that has some fish in it. Miji is nearly sterile, I think.

Erich, please feel free to regale us with your thoughts, trips, ideas, opinions, questions, answers, and (true) stories. Your stories, though, have to be certified as true. Swampus Aesopicus and me are the BS artists here - except when we get outdone by Chuck, Oldyaker, Br'r Bear, Ole Timer, Allen, Kahuna, etc. etc. Dapper Al always tells the truth, (anyway, that's what he told me.)

Again, Erich - welcome aboard.

A

Anonymous

BEARS BUDDY said:
I had no grits with me for breakfast though. :shock:

Friend Buddy,

I never woulda figgered ya fer a suicide. :cry:

respectfully,

bearridge
bodine culinary academy

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.
J. Danforth Quayle

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
hoz said:
Real nice trip. Sounds like fun. I sawnomention of the Flying Wawa...
You're right, Hoz. It was supposed to have been interjected in the Day# 6, last paragraph where the poor guy took our pictures.

One of the guys also got some good close-up details of the miter joints at the ends of the logs in the visitors' center. Angled back in and down, in both directions, these logs are LOCKED into position. Even throwing a pan of cold water on them wouldn't get them to part.

Dapper Al tried, though.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
BTW, have you learned how to pronounce Lake Mineiiijjjjxxxxx???

I have driven through there several times and haven't learned the correct pronounciation.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
After lunch, we toured Canadian Tire (remember, I mentioned being culturally-starved.) Everywhere we went, Gerry had to visit the restrooms and enjoy the porcelain facilities. I guess a boom-box just isn’t that satisfying for Bay City Boys.
As an inspector I have been told many times that I was full. :oops: This just reinforces the notion. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
hoz said:
BTW, have you learned how to pronounce Lake Mineiiijjjjxxxxx??? (SNIP)
The one I've been using, with no particular guidance nor authority, is:

Mi JI nee MUNG shing All the "i"s are short, no long "i"s in my version. WTH knows?

Maybe, if someone pronounces it right, he gets free lodging?