Lake Superior Provincial Park Sep 05 | SouthernPaddler.com

Lake Superior Provincial Park Sep 05

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
10 - 16 September 2005. Charlie Parmelee, Doug McDougal, Jon Young, and Jack Voss. Trip report by Jack (so you KNOW it's all true)

We left early on Saturday morning the 10th, and at breakfast as we rolled along. I'd fixed sausage & egg biscuits, coffee from McDonald's - after checking to be sure that Swampus Ptomainnicus wasn’t cooking inside. We’re headed to the northeast corner of Giche Gumi, just south of Wawa. Lakes Fenton & Treeby, and several others a few portages in.

The first night was critical. There is a camp site on the first lake, but if it was already occupied, we would then have to portage and find a camp site in strange territory and failing light. So we elected to camp at Rabbit Blanket Provincial Campground. Canadian provincial campgrounds are developed about the same as those here in the states. Showers, flush terlets, picnic tables, etc.

Sunday morning, we drove to the put in site - well, about 150 yards close - and carried gear down to the water. We had a tail wind for the first lake. Finding the first portage was fairly easy. Finding the second and third portages were more difficult. For some dark reason, Canadians camouflage portages by placing the sign not at the water’s edge where it is visible, but up away from the shore. And, it’s in the trees positioned so that you have to peer up a specific tunnel of vision to see the sign in the shade. I think that for a Canadian Ranger’s holidays, they allow them to sit, unobserved, near portages so they can laugh, quietly of course, while paddlers try to unravel the maze. Just a guess, though.

The site we selected is on the point of a ridge. That’s point as measured both horizontally and vertically, it’s on the end of a ridge. Charlie and I slung our hammocks near the side where we climbed up from the water. You had to grab tree roots hanging out of the hillside to make your way up. Doug & Jon pitched their tents in an area that sloped only slightly, near the cooking area.

The pie’ce de resistance of ths site is a granite ledge about 7 feet wide running for about 20 feet along an edge of the cooking area. It was our front porch. We’d sit there and watch the lake, clouds, smoke, the moon, and billions and billions of stars. "We will have our brandy, seegars, and Scotch here in the study, Jeeves."

Several days, we had a lot of wind and whitecaps. But, we paddled anyway. There was always a partly protected area near a shore that was good enough to make our way up and down the lakes.

Granite is the predominant feature of the countryside here. Lots of it, and as much up and down as side by side. Lakes are deep and cold. Often, you can still see scars of glaciers on the rocks. Loons and eagles are around. Caribou, moose, and beavers too. Frankly - it’s God’s country.

The whole trip was a long time of paddling, portaging, and relaxing. By the time I got home, I needed two days on the massage cushion to untie the knots in my back. In between - I took naps to catch back up.

This area is virtually identical to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, and much less populated. It's also a day closer, meaning two days less on hte road per trip.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
excellent...I only knocked off 5 points fer bein' tardy. :mrgreen:

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress. Mark Twain

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Nice trip report , sounds like a lot of fun.

You need to come down here and do one of our hurry up, paddle as fast as you can and break your Ba&&'$ trips with us. It is a marathon paddling run down river.

We get up when we feel like it ...... Have breakfast and several cups of coffee or tea, your Choice ..... shoot the chit and later break camp. Get everything in the boats and paddle for about 2 or 3 hours after taking several breaks and then pull off the river to set up camp around 2 but if we hurry then it is set up time around noon.

Get camp set up and then relax before a supper over the campfire and all of the BS that goes along with it. We only stop at campsites with a lot of fallen timber so there is no worry about some good dry firewood.

Some relaxing drinks and later off to bed because we have to repeat the whole exhausting process of the last day in the morning.
The smell of the smoke coming from an ebbing camp fire in the cool night air and bright moonlight reflecting off the silver and diamond like sands of the campsite with the shade from the big ole live oaks and there wispy gray Spanish moss playing in the breeze just puts a person to sleep and then in the morning there are plenty of hot coals to get the comforting fire blazing again.

One thing we don't do is something called a portage and one of these days I wish someone would tell me just what in the heck that is ......... Normal folks .........who I guess are only down here paddle there boats.

Now we do tote our boats from the vehicles to the water which is normally about 10 to 30 feet unless your parking break does not work and then it is just a matter of cutting the straps to set the boat free from your submerged vehicle.
The wrecker will pull it out later while you are on the river and it will be dried out when you get off the trip so it is not really and big problem when that happens. Besides you were planning on washing it some time .... Right.

Southerners ... Nothing bothers us...... :D

Chuck
PS. Folks me thinks I just stepped into a big pile of you know what by posting this but someone had to do it and (name witheld) forced me to do it. Alright so he just gave me a little push .... what the heck. :lol: :lol: :lol: The forum has be to quiet latley.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Sparkus Arrestus,

When God made glaciers, She didn't have suthriners in mind. Durned big things would dig up dirt, rocks, mountains, and shove'em around the countryside. (Plymouth rock is a boulder from Africa. That's the "GEE WHIZ!" information of the day.)

As those big fellers melted, sand, rock, gravel, and likely a Bubba or two were dropped right where they fell. Long, serpentine hills of such sand and gravel are called eskers. (Pay attention now, questions will be asked later. "ESKER" is on our word list for tomorrow.)

As a glacier would bulldoze up a helluva load of dirt ahead of it, eventually the dirt got to be more than a glacier could push along. So, the glacier would climb up over the big pile of dirt. This gave a characteristic shape of half of an egg laying out there. An egg varying from 100 yards long to a mile or so long. The upstream end would be the blunt end of an egg, and the downstream end trailed out longer, as does the (almost) pointy end of an egg. These are called "drumlins", and are often islands in lakes. When you know what they look like, they are fairly easy to spot.
"DRUMLIN" is on your word list for tomorrow too.)

As the topography was reshaped by glaciers that were a mile or two deep, different soils got mixed up like a marble cake. Hills and valleys grew where none had been before. As they melted lakes and rivers grew where none had been before.

In Killarney Provincial Park, off the northeasterly corner of Lake Huron, rocks are formed there by the heat and pressure of deep ice. Boulders are there that were once a pile of granular sand. The weight of glaciers melted the sand and fused it all into massive rock ridges and canyons. (QUARTZITE" is on the list too.)

When you travel to the Canadian Shield country, be prepared for awe and amazement. Oh ... we have some sludgy streams and stagnant swamps too; so suthriners won't be too lonesome for home.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Near Bout Truthful Jack,

Did Charlie paddle the Upper Missouri River? If he did, reckon ya kin git a trip report outta him?

regards,
bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

Courage is the greatest of all virtues, because if you haven't courage, you may not have an opportunity to use any of the others. Samuel Johnson

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
Near Bout Truthful Jack,

Did Charlie paddle the Upper Missouri River? If he did, reckon ya kin git a trip report outta him?
He's planning on this summer. Now, Charlie is about as truthful a fella as you could hope to find. Mundane as all get out - but truthful. Whereas, I never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Once, when Pecos Pete and Paul Bunyan both asked me to go huntin with them, ....

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I am finding a few descrepencies in your aledged trip

For one thing.....CARIBOU? I din't know they came down so far south as WAWA?

there aint no gitchi gumi on my mapquest maps.

I was trying to figure if it were closer to me than The BWCA but I think WAWA is juat about as far for me.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
mosportsmen said:
I am finding a few discrepancies in your alleged trip

For one thing.....CARIBOU? I din't know they came down so far south as WAWA?

there ain't no gitchi gumi on my mapquest maps.

I was trying to figure if it were closer to me than The BWCA but I think WAWA is just about as far for me.
The caribou, I'm told, inhabit several islands and areas around the eastern end of Gitche Gumi (Lake Superior). Whilst I saw none on this trip, others have, I'm told.

From where you are, either end of Superior may be about equidistant. Select the one of your choice. While I've never heard anything bad about BWCA, accounts of folks getting eaten by bears notwithstanding, neither have I heard anything bad about the Provincial Park on the eastern end of the lake.

All photos I've seen of the two areas are so similar that I can't reliably tell which location they were shot in. I'm sure a geologist or paddler well experienced in both areas could up the odds of prediction. I can't. Neither can any of the guys I paddle with, and some have been to both parks. So we go the the one closer to us.

Read the sticky note I have posted about the trip to the Au Sable in May. You may want to join this trip. While we won't be in the area of exposed granite and mountains, we will be in a neighborhood of God's county where bald eagles abound. White tailed deer, beaver, loons, and mink are there too.

Dapper Al and I will be there too. (I'm the good looking one.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
While we won't be in the area of exposed granite and mountains, we will be in a neighborhood of God's county where bald eagles abound. White tailed deer, beaver, loons, and mink are there too.

Dapper Al and I will be there too. (I'm the good looking one.)

By any chance , I wounder , are they the LOONS that can be seen on the trip........ :?: :lol: :lol: .

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Jackie sez, "Dapper Al and I will be there too (I'm the good looking one.)"

Smart Alec Chuckie interjects, "By any chance , I wonder , are they the LOONS that can be seen on the trip........ :?: :lol: :lol: ."

Jackie (graciously, but firmly) responds, "Tofu you, Chuckie. We are gallant fellows of the paddle. We are following - yea, even blazing - the Path of the Geezer. One day, great sagas will be writt of us; songs will be sung of our bravery; children will wear big, toothy grins and Australian felt hats in our honor. (Ya know, kinda like them coonskin caps little pardner-types wore in the 50's in honor of my personal friend, Davy Crockett. Him, Paul Bunyan, and me used to go squirrel huntin with our sling shots. Davy wasn't as gooda shot as some liked to make out. Darned Paul, he'd just throw a double-bitted axe at squirrels - they'd be field dressed by the time they hit the ground.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Man my luck is running really good ..... I came in to check the forum and have my hip boots on which is really lucky because there is the above message from Jack. Now all I need to do is get a large bucket to haul most of the BS away and then a mop to complete the job.

SLINGSHOTS ... REALLY .... Jack , come clean , fess up , be honest , everyone knows you kill rabbits with cucumbers so why not the tree rats . :roll:

Chuckles

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, OK, while it IS true that I killed a rabbit with a thrown cucumber, and I have shot the head off a squirrel with my .357, (truthfully, guys, I've actually done both), I could never get the squirrels close enough to the cucumber patch to be handy. Pauls' axe seemed the best compromise available at the time.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Paul Bunyan hunting squirrels with an axe??? Besides, everyone knows how to dress a squirrel. In grey, never brown, pinstripes are ok too. Pants with a slight break at the cuff, jacket with finger tip lenght. Light pink or white shirt with cuff links, argyle socks and loafers with tassle... never penny loafers. (hat optional).

Jack butting in here: Bullhead, your squirrels must be a "little different" in your neck of the woods. I think ours are a bit more manly up here. Also, in addtion to belted kingfishers, we do have a few that wear suspenders. A couple have been sighted wearing velcro, too.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

An extra portion of rum iz jest one of the side effects frum readin' this stuff. I reckon ya seen the High Sheriffs disclaimin' down at the bottom? If it dont warn that it will drive ya ta drink....mebbe he better give that disclaimin' anuther try. :mrgreen:

regards,
bearridge the sober

There are three kinds of men: the one that learns by reading, the few that learn by observation, and the rest of 'em that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
caribou

Mosportsman: The caribou Jack was talking about were (are) Woodland caribou. Lots of 'em South of Wawa. Seen 'em- chased, 'em always enjoy seein' them along the shores of the lakes and rivers in that part of Ontario. Dapper Al.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I didn't realize that, about the caribou.

KJ, a few post back you talked about shooting little critters with big guns. Gota tell a little story about my experience with this this fall.

I had a couple 50cal muzzle loaders loaded and needing emptied. I shot the one at a target and decided to take a walk with the other and see if I couldn't find a rabbit. The snow was on a little bit so I thought I might get a chance. I got one. A rabbit bolted across the hillside in fron of me and stoped about 35 yards from me. I pulled up the scoped inline boomer with a balistic tip bullet loaded in it and pulled the trigger. much to my suprise when I made my way up the hill I found the rabbit laying there........without a head. I had that one for dinner that night. couldn't wait to get it home and show off my perfectly excuted shot. Actually it was complete luck. I was aiming at rabbit, and there was a little brush to make matters worse....of course I told the kids I planned it that way.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mo,

I gotta couple of rabbits - dumb luck, about 50 years apart. When I was a sophomore or junior in high school, my first dog, Tippy, was still around. She was a beagle-rat terrier mix. Loved to hunt pheasants, REALLY loved to hunt rabbits.

One fall day we were flushing a corn field, heading towards some woods that were punctuated with many holes under the tree roots. Any rabbit scared up within a half mile headed for those holes. As we reached the end of the cornfield, there was gaggle of sumac bushes that ranged down a hillside, and then into that woods with the holes. Tip had barked "rabbit", so I was running to keep up cause she didn't wait for ANYTHING when a rabbit was at stake. I ended the corn field and reached the open stand of sumac. I could see a white cotton tail bouncing along about 30 feet ahead of Tip, and I could see her tail going round and round.

That day, I was carrying my Dad's 12 gauge LeFevre with a 32 " full choke barrel, shooting # 6's. That gun was so tight it shot like a rifle out to 25 yards, then the shot column would begin to open up. I sighted in on Tip's tail, elevated, and squeezed off. Dumb thing to do but it worked out OK. I ran around the brush into the woods, and there sat Tip with a rabbit at her feet. I congratulated her - and my wonderful shooting, and bagged the rabbit into my game pouch on the back of my jacket.

Late on, when Mom cleaned him out, she told me there wasn't pellet one in that rabbit. But, there were four teeth marks where Tip had caught him by the scruff of the neck and shook her head to snap his neck. I still have Tip's picture right here with me; she was one helluva dog for a kid to have as a companion.

One other day, not many years ago, I was weeding the garden. Cucumbers were about 2 weeks on the vine cause we'd been on vacation. Rabbits were waiting for me to leave so they could eat. I had one about 14" - 15" long in my hand, straightened up to ease my back, and sighted a rabbit sitting there. I back and threw it at him to scare him away. It hit him dead on. Later on I walked over there, and he was dead. Has to be a Boone and Crockett record to kill a rabbit with a cucumber, ehh?

Last time I shot a muzzle loader was in December of '59. Damned near killed myself that day. It was a pre-Civil war .30 caliber with a double set trigger. I was experimenting (playing around with) different types of patches. There was about 4"-6" pf powder snow on the ground. I was about a half mile back of the house in the woods, looking for either rabbits (in season) or a stray squirrel (not in season, but tasty nonetheless).

No game in sight, so I decided to go home for breakfast, or lunch, or something. I sighted in on a leaf that had a lot of snow behind it for a bullet track;I wanted to see where the ball went. I fired, and WOW! What the hell is wrong? The gun is in two pieces. Hmm, that's odd. My AlCan (Alaskan-Canadian) cap is laying beside me. My glove is on fire. What's going on here?

I picked up pieces of my gun, which SHOULD have tipped me off, but I was dazed. Climbed over the fence to get to the lane for easier walking, and noticed that I had one eye closed. Hmm, what's wrong here? I pried it open and could see, but could see only blearily. Blood on my pants leg - what's wrong here?

I trotted up to the house, and when Mom opened the door, she said "Oh, my God!" and slid down the door frame in a heap. Hmm, what's wrong here? Dad came to see me; I don't remember what it was he said, but it wasn't a compliment, I'm sure.

So far, nothing had hurt because it was still numb. All that ended when Dad tried to wash my face. "OUCH! That hurts!" "Yeah", he said, "I'll be it does. We're going to the doctor." The doc met us at his office, along with the police. Had to report a gunshot wound; police left early on. Doc was pulling burnt black powder granules out of my face.

What happened was, the breach plug had blown out of the gun. It split the stock, and should have driven the tang of the breach plug into my forehead. God only knows why it didn't or where that breach plug is. The blast opened up my forehead so that it took about 20 some stitches in the under skin, and 19 in the outer skin. I had "freckles" all over my face where the still-burning gun powder hit, and seared right in.

All in all, though, I'm still a handsome devil yet this day. Humble as all get out too.