Lake Superior Scenic 5 mile paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Lake Superior Scenic 5 mile paddle

nobucks

chart.jpg

I did a 5+ mile paddle last week, launching from the Presque Isle Beach and heading out to and around Partridge Island, then back to Sunset Point on Presque Isle. Nothing too exciting except for the scenery. Waves were calm to two feet, wind was non-existent, and water temps were 35 degrees F.

On my way back I pulled into the Black Rocks area of Presque Isle on the East side of the island and some guy came running down to the water's edge with his camera, snapped a pic of me at the base of the cliffs, and then went back to his car. Never had that happen before.

When I went back to the beach there were several college kids getting ready to launch a picnic expedition with two kayaks, a yellow Coleman rubber raft, two girls in jeans and sweatshirts, and three guys in shorts and sweatshirts. I overheard them saying that they were going out to Middle Island, which is about halfway out to Partridge.

I felt a little overdressed when I pulled up in my 18 foot kayak, extra paddle, drysuit, neoprene gloves, and tuilik, but, hey, the water is still only 35 degrees F. If you go into that water without the proper gear, you will only have about 15 - 30 minutes before you're incapacitated and maybe an hour until you go to heaven. I dipped my head a few times doing sculling braces, and got an ice cream headache a couple of times. My wife and I drove by Presque Isle later and they were loading their kayaks onto their cars, so we were glad to see that they apparently made it back with no trouble.

The best part of the paddle was the inlet at Partridge Island, which goes in on West side of the island, turns 90 degrees, and comes out on the North side of the island. I paddled in there and was thinking that it would be a great place to swim in the summertime. Pics are below.

Heading into the inlet from the North side of Partridge Island:
2008-05-10-03.jpg

Inside the inlet, looking North:
2008-05-10-04.jpg

There's still snow. Look in the upper right of the crevice.
2008-05-10-05.jpg

Black Rocks on Presque Isle
2008-05-10-08.jpg

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Man! I do envy you on that beautiful water in Michigan. I haven't paddle that as yet as open canoe and Lake Superior is way to challenging for me. I have seen others do it , but not mio.
I need a Michigan paddle .. I can see it ahead now.... maybe get Daper Al and Kayak Jack to go also ... and all the other folks up that way ... of course Jimmy when we can pull him away from his work.
Gadz! It's great to dream!
swampy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Joel,

When I seen them pichurs, I figgered I gotta tell Swampy ta come take a peek. Lo 'n behold he seen 'em hizownself. Nice lookin' rocks. Loved the map. I like it when someone throws gunpowder inta the campfire 'er sets off a blow log. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps Did them kids tell ya Gort! Klaatu barada nikto! :wink:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Swampy said:
... of course Jimmy when we can pull him away from his work. Gadz! It's great to dream!
swampy

Stop by my homestead to spend the night on your way up Swampy. We'll leave for the Gimmi Gutchi the next morning. :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Gitche Gumi (Lake Superior) has basically three kinds of rocks around its perimeter' granite (what Joel shows), sandstone, and limestone. I prefer the granite. You can often see scratches in it from when glaciers went over 10,000-20,000 years ago. (EST)