Lapstrake ? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Lapstrake ?

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
Oh, KayakJack.

I am definitely referring to epoxied overlapping joints with THIN plywood since I was addressing the issue of lightweight boats. That whole fasterner thing would be almost a nonstarter. Of course the same could be said of pirouges and strip construction when you are talking about strong and lightweight boats. If you rule out epoxy useage the winner probably becomes skin on frame boats where you can lash it all together.

Note, I post as a person interested in boat building that understands a bit about engineering, not as any sort of expert boat builder.

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
A pirouge is sorta like a lapstrake with just 3 planks.

A strip boat is sorta like a lapstrake with lots and lots of planks

A skin on frame is sorta like a lapstrake thats very thick at the overlaps and very thin everywhere else.

Since a pirough, a strip boat, and a skin on frame can all be built pretty light if done just right I'd say the same applies to a lapstrake. Each just has slightly different challenges in construction, skill, design, materials and overall execution to get there.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A plywood stitch and glue kayak hull is a full monocoque construction. Exact opposite of a skin on stick kayak, where the strength is in the frame, and skin just covers it.

Lapstrake, it seems to me, is a semi-monocoque construction with most of the strength in the skin?

In general, I wouldn't see an advantage in any of the ways, only interesting and pertinent to applications in certain situations. In my eye, they are all beautiful (boats, planes, and women are elegantly shaped - not necessarily in that order of priority). Lapstrake always reminds me of Vikings' dragon ships - and that means adventure - even if it is setting on the front lawn.