Lasagna Roll-Ups | SouthernPaddler.com

Lasagna Roll-Ups

JEM

When ever I make lasagna, getting out of the pan was never a pretty sight. Then I happened upon this recipe. Loved it! Was easy to make and varying the serving size is simple. The "rolls" are easily frozen.

Original found on http://www.allrecipes.com search for "Lasagna Roll-Ups". It's the one by Virginia Foley

I tweaked it a little. Recipe scaled for 6. The web site lets you adjust the serving size. Doing it for 6 filled up a glass cake pan nicely.

1 pound ground pork sausage (or beef, or turkey, or...)
small onion, chopped
3 garlic clove, minced
3 (16 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano (I used a Italian seasoning blend instead and tripled the usage)
dash cayenne pepper
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups of small-curd cottage cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
18 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained (I ended up only using 12)
1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Optional: mushrooms, peppers, etc.

In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, oregano and cayenne; simmer for 10 minutes. Salt to taste while cooking. Spoon half of the meat sauce into a greased baking dish. combine cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley and onion powder; spread 1/4 cupful on each noodle. Carefully roll up and place seam side down over meat sauce. Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That sounds really good - and filling. Thanks Matt. You mention getting stuff out of a pan. I started using parchment paper in baking pans, and it makes it a lot easier to remove foods and clean the pan. Also, I use liner bags in a crockpot for the same reasons.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
For most canoe trips, I normally assemble traditional lasagna in my dutch oven, stick it in the deep freeze overnight and when we get to the 1st night's camp site, it's thawed. Let it bake when setting up camp. Never had much problem with it falling apart but I just might try your roll-up idea for something different. I love lasagna when camping (or @ home, camp, in a restaurant, camp, somebody else's house, camp-you get the idea).

Four of us are going out the end of this month and Sunday I was informed (not asked) that I was doing the cooking and Friday night's menu must be lasagna. Best part is I won't have to take a chance on someone elses cooking and the other 3 are buying the grocercies.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
grandpa paddler said:
Will I EVER hear the end of the water level jokes?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
When you tell Jack that you will refill his water jug overnight while it is in the tent with you. That would stop all the pi$$ing and moaning from him.
Make sure you remind him that the river you are on is called the Yellow River. :wink:
***********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Now back to the Lasagna Roll-Ups. :D

They sure sound like something that could be prepared ( Pre cooked ) for a camping trip and completed then reheated out there on the river bank for a memorable supper while enjoying friends and nature.

Having Lasagna ( Traditional ) tonight here at the house and will be looking into the possibility of taking the Lasagna rolls on a camping trip for the 1st night for everyone. Just an good reason to make some and a few more to try it here before taking them on a river trip.

Matt you said two rolls are plenty for a person at home , I hope that holds true for out on a river bank. Heck ... if not then they can eat Vienna's. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When I do stuffed green peppers, I do a whole crockpot full and freeze leftovers that I bag individually. I wonder if a guy could bag a couple of lasagna wraps and do that for eating either at home or in camp?

Matt, what problems may occur a guy used only cottage cheese, and not mix cottage and ricotta cheeses?

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
oldsparkey said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
When you tell Jack that you will refill his water jug overnight while it is in the tent with you. That would stop all the pi$$ing and moaning from him.
Make sure you remind him that the river you are on is called the Yellow River. :wink:

I wouldn't do that to Jack!!! (it would just give him another reason to M&C). Done hi-jackin'

I quit using fat free cheeses in my lasagna. even when I tried to drain them, the end result was still too soupy for my delicate pallet.