lethality of the .22 rimfire. | SouthernPaddler.com

lethality of the .22 rimfire.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
One of the Coconut Telegraph boys posted this site....I found it very interesting since I fired endless rounds of .22's as a young man.
Took out a lot of hogs in hay fields 50 years ago.....All that practice earned me Expert in the Army. Still enjoy the .22. Thanks for the heads up on the site Tom.

Interesting thread on the lethality of the .22 rimfire.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=503007&page=1

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Yak,
What Ron is refering to is a couple of Ruger 10/22's. Not the off the shelf 10/22's, but TurboCharged tricked out 10/22's. One is a Clark conversion and the other is one built up by this feller I know. Go buy you an old beat up Ruger 10/22 and strip it down to the receiver. Get you a good air gagued 10/22 target bbl. If you want you can also drop in a high quality trigger group. Put in buffers and drop the whole mess in a good composit stock. put a scope on it that cost more than the gun, or not. In S. E. Colo in Baca County I was shooting at dogs a pretty good way off. Kind of like shooting artellery. Within 3 or 4 shots you could walk the bullets in on them. Saw one and dropped him way down in the scope, moved over a little for the wind and squeezed the trigger. Sucker fell over dead on the first shot. Cousin standing behind me had a range finder and told me it was 226 yards. I said no way. He handed me the range finder and sho nuff was 226 yards. That sir, was a stroke of luck. Amazing what a little .22 can do.
Bob

PS Google Midway and they have all the parts you need (and more) to trick out the little Ruger 10/22.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have a 10/22. I like a lot of Ruger guns, that isn't one of them. Sprays bullets all over hell's half acre, and three fourths of Georgia. How many $ we talking about here?

I emptied the SOB one day at a turkey, aiming for his head. He ran around looking at the ground where the bullet strikes were. Not a real smart animal. After it was empty, I picked up my Dad's .222, and drilled him first shot, just like I had another turkey a year before with the same gun. But my Ruger wouldn't even hit his head at 35 yards.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
my experience is that some rifles and pistols are sensitive to ammunition brands. one brand and the rifle will drive tacks, the other brands and it won't hit the brick box.

dunno know if anyone here has had that experience

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Seedtick
That has been my findings to. I use to do a little pistol competition shooting.
In the Ruger Mark 10 the cheapest 22 I could buy 97 cents a box would hold a dime size group at 25 yards , the better rounds the best I could do was 1 1/2 group at the same distance.
357 148 grain wadcutters were the ticket
and all my deer rifles like one bullet better.
Jack get you as many kinds of ammo as you can a good set of bags and spend a day at the range ,I bet you can make that gun shoot.
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Jack,
I've always said that the only fish we catch and game we shoot are the dumb ones.One of the best .22 bullets I have found (cheap that shoot well) are Blazers. Like Ron said, some guns will only preform well with certain brands. If'n ya want to make yer eyes cross, price some Ely ammo. You could probally find a souped up 10/22 in the
$300 to $400 price range. But buy the parts and do it yourself. It is very doable. On that trip we shot all day without cleaning. My rifle finally quit shooting. Figured out that it was because of the magazines were dirty and hanging up. Next day we took a can of break kleen (same thing as spray Gun Scrubber but much cheaper) and would flush the magazines out now and again. No problems. We shot up 4 brick, half a case of shotgun shells, several hundred 148 gr. hollow based .38 wadcutters, dont know how many .223's, and maby 60 30-30's (in a Contender). Much fun. Buzzards had a field day.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I had a 10-22 and got rid of it. The one I always go back to is the Marlin 39-A , lever action , 22 and it will drive tacks all day long. Wearing trifocals now days so there is a nice scope mounted on it and that really helps , in my earlier days it was iron sights only.

My affection for it goes way back , I have had it for a good 50 years and it has gotten a lot of game from tree rats to wild turkeys , all head shots.

Use to use a lot of long guns in the past but now it is mostly handguns for my shooting fun. The #1 one is a Colt Woodsman in 22 LR with a long barrel. It is a can plinking sucker , no can is safe. :lol: Next best one is a S&W revolver in 22 mag and a 6 inch barrel.

The Woodsman has been around for a spell , it was made back in the early years of 1900 and functions as good today as it did then. My Grandfather purchased it , then Dad had it and now I have it.

1st.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
So far I aint found a rifle that didnt like some ammo 'n hate others. No way ta tell without spendin' a fair bit of time testin'. Mitey fun chore in my book. I started off testin' pellets. Bought a sampler box with 25 different kinds. Pellet guns 'n rimfire rifles seem more picky that centerfire rifles.

A 10/22 iz a heap a fun. I tested a heap a ammo in three rimfires: a Marlin 880SQ, a CZ 452 American and a Remington 541T. I kept the CZ. It likes S&K Match, S&K Subsonic 'n Lapua Master M, but if ya buy a CZ, yer rifle mite like Winchester Super X, Ely Standard 'er Remington Target. Some folks buy a few different boxes 'n when they find one their rifle likes, they buy az many bricks of it frum the same batch az they kin.

Someday I aim ta help them ranchers out 'n whack some surly dogs out west.

regards
bearridge

In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men the great difficulty lies in this: You must first enable the government to control the governed, and in the next place, oblige it to control itself. Alexander Hamilton

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Indeed.....but the difference tween those three wuz razor close. The 541T wuz the high dollar gun. I wuz at Ole Crabby Bill, the gunsmith who used ta live in Alaska. He wuz mowin' out back 'n I didnt wanna stop him, so I jest browsed hiz shop. I seen this rifle layin' on the counter with no price tag. Most of his stuff wuz new.

I wuz pickin' up the CZ 'er the Marlin (trigger job), so I checked it, then squeezed the trigger. It went off before the thinkin' got ta my finger. Holy Casanova! When he come in I asked it it wuz fer sale. He stopped 'n studied on it a while. "That iz my gun....aint no way ta ever git back what I got in it....rebuilt it three times while waitin' on winter ta leave". We done some tradin'. I got rid of a 9mm Beretta. He sez he wuz part way ta geezer 'n liked ta hunt tree rats....but totin' that 541T wuz too hard 'n hiz eyes begged fer a shotgun.

I reckon that sez a lot fer the CZ. I like all the CZ rimfires I seen so far. Kinda wish I had the carbine, but I am on the 7 step plan. :mrgreen:

Nearbout got my yard picked up frum all the pecan limbs down. Need ta be out mowin', but the 7 step plan dont cover yard mowin'. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps Crabby Bill builds .45s fer the pistol contest fellas. They look like 1911's.

Charlie Allnut: A man takes a drop too much once in a while, it's only human nature.
Rose Sayer: Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we are put in this world to rise above.

mage2

Sep 10, 2011
I have a 10-22 that was made in '83 and I have had it for 12-13 years. I added the bolt buffer, reground the crown, and made sure that the barrel was not touching the stock.
I have tried a truckload of magazines and ammo. So far the most constant is CCI Mini-Mags. It has taken the head off a bird @ ~50 yards standing.
I am also impressed with the 25 rd mags from tactical innovations.

I find that mine really dislikes the rattle box .22 bulk ammo. But that said with good ammo it does pretty well.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
mage2 said:
I have a 10-22<SNIP> I added the bolt buffer, reground the crown, and made sure that the barrel was not touching the stock. <SNIP> So far the most constant is CCI Mini-Mags. <SNIP> I find that mine really dislikes the rattle box .22 bulk ammo. But that said with good ammo it does pretty well.
I have a Ruger 10-22, that, from inside a barn, may hit one of the sides. But, not necessarily the one you're aiming at. I'm not at all familiar with a "bolt buffer" or "regrinding the crown". I can try some CCI mini mags.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Kayak Jack said:
mage2 said:
I have a 10-22<SNIP> I added the bolt buffer, reground the crown, and made sure that the barrel was not touching the stock. <SNIP> So far the most constant is CCI Mini-Mags. <SNIP> I find that mine really dislikes the rattle box .22 bulk ammo. But that said with good ammo it does pretty well.
I have a Ruger 10-22, that, from inside a barn, may hit one of the sides. But, not necessarily the one you're aiming at. I'm not at all familiar with a "bolt buffer" or "regrinding the crown". I can try some CCI mini mags.
Jack,
You probably just have a lemon. Sell it. Buy another. It may turn out to be a tack driver. Spend more money and buy one that has been tricked out with a match barrell and a good trigger group. You sould not beleive the difference.
Bob