lining up frames | SouthernPaddler.com

lining up frames

boxers

Feb 24, 2010
i am new to boatbuilding, i have built my frames, cut out my stem and made my transom for a 18' runabout. my question is what reference point is used to line up the frames, stem and transom before working on the battens and chines, etc. is it the waterline cause i have no idea. thank you in advance

boxers

Feb 24, 2010
i have plans as well as 4 descent books but no where have i found a point telling me how to line up the frames or even the transom with the stem.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Where did you get the plans? Is there a table of offsets? Is there a website that has a study plan? The question would be easier to answer if the plans were available for viewing.

boxers

Feb 24, 2010
i purchased the plans from sandy point boat works, no i dont have a table of offsets, i have the ability to talk to the owner of the company when i want however most of his answers are short and extremely vague. his website has no "tech support" type options and i am regretting my purchase more and more every day. the design is a Hacker design called the Flapper. they are full size plans and if i can find a way to post them i will.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
boxers said:
i am new to boatbuilding, i have built my frames, cut out my stem and made my transom for a 18' runabout. my question is what reference point is used to line up the frames, stem and transom before working on the battens and chines, etc. is it the waterline cause i have no idea. thank you in advance
I am pretty sure that you need to line them up by the waterline, but hopefully someone with more experience in building this type of boats will come along.

Jimmy

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
You need to line up both the center lines of 1. all frames and the stem, 2. the waterline of all frames. Easiest way is with a chalk line for the center lines and a laser line for the water line. Send me a private message for more details.

jackbat

Jul 21, 2010
Boxers,
I am hoping that this thread is still active and you will receive this answer. Another customer pointed me to this so I registered to answer your quesiton. If you purchased the plans from Sandy Point Boat Works then you most certainly have the table of offsets. You received a number of 24" by 36" sheets. One of which has a line drawing of every frame and the transom. On the drawings there are 4 waterlines and 3 buttock lines marked off. On another sheet of the same size you have the location of every frame giving you frame spacing. The instructions that came with the package show how to create frames. So if you know the waterlines of each frame, the location on a strongback where they belong and the profile of the stem, you pretty much have everything you need to mount the frames for building. Because of the design of this boat, the transom has no rake to it so it is mounted just as a typical frame.
Bears Buddy gave you the right answer. You simply need to center the forms on your strongback using a waterline that is convenient for your building height and stronback. You use the keel and chines to ensure the offset of the frames frome each other. Temporary cross members are used on each form at the same water line to mount to the strongback. Start with a centerline on your building jig, mount the centerlines of your frames and cross members to the centerline on the strongback. Use shims on either side of the frames to center the bottom of the boat, attach your keel and chines to ensure spacing from side to side and mount your stem by centering it on the centerline of the strongback. this can be done by temporarily putting a straight edge from the strongback center line extended out to the stem and centering your stem. There is another 36" sheet showing you the distance from the tip of the stem in relation to the rest of the frames.
I am not sure which books you were refering to when you said you had 4 good ones, but I suggest you get Boatbuilding by H. Chapelle. It is an old book but would have easily answered your question here in more detail then I could possibly give in a forum. If this does not help, I have pictures of frames monted to strongbacks which may help.
Best regards,
jackbat http://WWW.sandypointboatworks.com