Little Crossings... | SouthernPaddler.com

Little Crossings...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I keep passing this spot and bridge on my way back and forth to my Daughters when I take the back roads........ It's a pretty and tranquil spot. About an hour from where I live and just about on the Mason-Dixon Line. I just thought it makes a real nice picture and wanted to share it with you along with it's history. Every picture I take of it looks the same except for the seasons.

Fall%2005%20055_1.jpg

This spot on the Casselman River is known as Little Crossings. It was named by a young LT. Geo. Washington when he was an aide for Gen. Braddock. Braddock crossed at this spot heading West (1755)and was chased back across again heading East being chased by the French Army.
Meriwether Lewis crossed here as well organizing his big trip West.
This bridge was built in 1812-13 and for a spell was the largest man made structure in the New World. It stands over an unused portion of the first National Road and was used until 1933. Now it spans a river on an unused road.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Truthful Jack's wagon lost a wheel there once. Some injuns on their way ta Oklahoma helped him fix it, then stole his scotch. They came back two days later 'n scalped him cuz there wuz no warnin' on the bottle. :mrgreen: :lol:

Woodrow Call: ...and if that ain't bad enough you got all them Greek words on there, too.
Gus McCrae: I told you, Woodrow, a long time ago it ain't Greek, it's Latin.
Woodrow Call: Well what does it say in Latin? For all you know it invites people to rob us.
Gus McCrae: Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance ta shoot at a educated man once in my life.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
c

That surly is a pretty picture.

Should be on a calender for lots of people to see. [but then someone would just buy the property and put an outragous house there and spoil the view.]

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
If you like purty pichurs Baldy....this one was taken about 300 yards from Little Crossings. Alot of Amish around....

Fall%2005%20050_1.jpg