Little experiment | SouthernPaddler.com

Little experiment

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I built four knives that are legal to carry in TX.
2 inch blade
3 1/4 blade
4 inch blade
5 inch blade.
I am going to carry each for two weeks and then make a report on what I think.
I know 25 cents and what I think use to buy a cup of java.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'll go out on a limb and say the 2" will be the best compromise of usefullness and easy of carry. I've kept a 2" bladed knife on my belt 5-6 days a week for 11 years and almost never see the need for anything more.

For the outdoors, a man could be well served with a 2" knife and a good machete.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I am winding up the two weeks with the three inch blade knife, I have already carried the 2 inch for two weeks.
So far I think the 3 inch is my favorite ,just have to keep trying different ones to see.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Hello Whin=mp ,long time no see.
All the blades are drop points ,my favorite style.
The length of the blade is the main difference in these four knives.
I am carring the five now ,a report in a few days.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I finally decided on my perfect every day knife and was really surprised at what I wound up with.
I have always liked a drop point , but I decided to expand this little experiment a little more and try a couple different blade designs.
Here is what I came up with.
For hunting my favorite was the 4 inch drop point.
To carry day in and day out I wound up with a four inch straight point

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... /002-6.jpg

The sharp point was really handy ,I found that as far as carrying there was very little difference in the 2 inch and the 4 inch and there were situations where the 4 inch did the job and a shorter knife would have been inadequate. The shape of the handle made it easy to get out of the sheath by just hooking the little finger against the handle ,that put the knife into your hand in a very natural position.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That's a good looking one you have there and will give you a lot of service. You do have the knife making down to a science.
There is no need for a Rambo style knife out paddling , camping or even hunting unless you are going to hunt with it. Something not many folks do today.
I was reading about this guy that gets in the water with some Big Gators and kills them , his weapon of choice is a knife with a 3 inch blade , he hits the gator in the V behind the eyes in the center of the head with the blade severing the brain. He says that a gun is not necessary and all he uses is that knife.

Why the 3 rivets in the center of the handle , is that a TxRiveRat ( A) trade mark or for ( B) function , or ( C )both reasons. Either answer A or B or C or D ( all of the above will do ). :wink:

I found that a 4 inch blade is a general utility length for a knife a long time ago. I had to try others but always come back to the 4 inch blade. My most recent one is the Buck Vanguard with the textured rubber Sure-Grip handle and the blade is 4.125" with a overall length of 8-1/2"

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have about 25 of my knifes out now and some reports coming back in. I use a full grind on most of my blades and everyone is amazed at how easy the slice and how long they hold an edge. I am a happy camper with the feed back I have received.
Chuck the little extra in the center of the knife seems to headed tward being one of my trade marks , funny story about why I did the first one.
I was putting the handles on a knife with a beautiful piece of wood ,a mesquite burl I had cut a couple years ago. Yep you guessed it I slipped with the drill and gouged a hole off to the side of the center rivet.. I was sick and the more I looked at that handle the more I wanted to save it. I drilled it out bigger mixed some epoxy with a little graphite in it and set three pins in the handles in a group.
Now thats the story now everybody want that in there handles ,go figure.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have carried this knife every day for the last year and a half

Used it for just about everything from opening packages to stripping wire , it has field dressed 10 deer this year, processed 5 . I feel plumb naked without it.
It is scratched up on the handle some but stays sharp and is easy to sharpen when I need it.
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
What??? No saw blade. No serrations. I hate those. That is a nice simple functional knife that is pleasant to look at. Congrats. on making your self something that pleases you.
Bob

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
TR when it gets depreciated and isn't any more good you can donate to me . all contributions are tax deductible. :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bob
I tried the saw blades and serated edges a long time ago ,can you spell gimmick.
Catfish , the way this knife is standing up it might be awhile.
Ron