Little Manatee River-Fla. | SouthernPaddler.com

Little Manatee River-Fla.

AntiqFreq

Jan 12, 2006
Sunny South Florida
We are doing a camping/canoe trip on the Little Manatee River,
and have not been before.

Thinking of using Canoe outpost as a shuttle service.

Never having paddled this river (we are in a 15'6" canoe)
before we are just wondering what water levels I should
be looking at when looking them up to know what is okay
or not?

We went to do Fisheating Creek in Palmdale, FL over 4th of
July and water was 7 1/2 ft above normal state and the flow
was something like 2450 cfm's - too crazy for us canoe folks!

Any thoughts?

Jo

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I haven't paddled the Little Manatee River but this link might help. http://www.canoeingfun.com/tripslmr.htm

It usually pays to check it out and the 1st time the outfitter is a good bet , especially as a shuttle. A phone call to them might answer a lot of questions for you. The outfitter said in the above web site that they keep the river cleared for easy paddling so they have to have a good knowledge of it.
If you decide to paddle it , a trip report would be nice for all of us.

Got this picture off there web site , looks interesting. :D ( Has to be the upper , narrower area of the river ).
T3%20canopy%20shallows.jpg

Chuck.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
I've been on the upper stretches a time or two. Real pretty up there. Not sure on the camping prospects though. Once you get below the state park it becomes tidal and spreads way out into a bunch of different channels. Then west of I75 its mostly houses to the bay.

joeleitz

Mar 8, 2010
So, I wonder how your camping trip went because it sounds like a nice paddle. I'd like to do a similar trip with my own canoe. That picture that was posted makes the river look pretty nice. Did you find that there were a lot of houses near the bay then? I'll have to do some planning and come up with some good spots to visit too.

---------------------
destin florida rentals