Little Talbot Island SP (Florida) | SouthernPaddler.com

Little Talbot Island SP (Florida)

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Me and the girlfriend spent a few days at the end of June camping at Little Talbot Island State Park, just North of Jacksonville, Florida.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/littletalbotisland/default.cfm
Nice park, check in at the ranger station and the campground is back out the main gate and on the other side of the road. The camping area is gated, has 40 sites, each with electric & water, a boat launch that gets you onto Myrtle Creek.
Heres a view or two of the site we had.
P6260026.jpg

P6260027.jpg

The million dollar view looking out from our site. Thats Myrtle creek cutting across the picture.
P6260028.jpg

We got there on Thursday (June 28 ) and later that night had this nice little storm blowing in.
P6260037.jpg

P6260039.jpg

Went to sleep that night to the sound of thunder, rain falling on the tent and flashes of lightning.
Spent Friday at the Jacksonville Zoo
On Saturday, we put our kayaks in at the boat launch and paddled down Myrtle creek to where it joins up with Simpson creek and then back. One thing, at low tide, you could probably walk Myrtle creek with no problem. During our stay we had AM low tides around 8, 9, 10 & 11 so it made for late in and heat of the day paddling once the water came back in. Heres some pictures of the campground boat launch at both low & high tide.
Low tide.
P6300052.jpg

High tide.
P6290048.jpg

Low tide.
P6300054.jpg

High tide.
P6290050.jpg

This is the track we paddled, it was only about 1.5 miles out & back. No pictures on the water, sorry.
talbot.jpg

Got back from the paddle, and after a while made dinner and just finished cooking and the big brother of Thursday's storm rolled on in. Very heavy rain, winds up to 50 MPH, lightning, thunder & possible hail according to the weather radio. We got the heavy rain, thunder, lightning & wind, no sign of hail.
Our dinner table on Saturday.
P6280041.jpg

P6280042.jpg

Storm let up about 6:30 and it was clear the rest of the night.
Sunday we drove down to Fort Clinch State park to check it out.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/fortclinch/default.cfm
And on the way back to Little Talbot, drove into the bigger brother of the storm from Saturday. Storm was pretty much over by the time we got to the campground, but the power was out, had lots more rain than the night before with bigger winds (according to the rangers). So we made dinner and then walked across the street to the main park and took a nice long sunset walk on the beach.
Monday we packed up and headed West to our next camping stop, in the rear view mirror saw the storms building up again. They over took us right about the time we were getting off I-295 (Jacksonville bypass) and getting on I-10 heading to Suwannee River State Park. Huge rain coming down for about an hour and we drove in the rain all the way to SRSP. Was just a drizzle when we got there.
But thats another trip report.

DM
mike

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang.....the Sparkanator really done ya'll wrong. I reckon before ya joined up here, it wuz all sea breezes 'n blue skies? That report sounds jest like one of the Paddlin' Geezer Canoe Clud expedishuns. :wink:

Thanks fer the pichurs 'n the report.
bearridge

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. Douglas Adams

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Check out the red and white checked table cloth - you can tell he's with his girlfriend on this trip.

Mikey, we should've warned you. Chuck's meteorological effect spreads from Cuba northerly up to about Newfoundland, and westerly to about the Pecos. He may do it electrically.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Jack;
Heres a few more ways to tell I am camping with the girlfriend beside the table cloth.

1. You can see my van in a picture. No primitive camping for her

2. I have the big tent on the trip. The air mattress wont fit in my North Face Rock 22 or my Eureka. The tent pictured is actually one I picked up off the close-out shelves at Sam's. Cost me $20, and has held up just fine. Made it thru all those storms with just a little water that got blown up under the rain fly from the wind blown horizontal rains.

3. A Mr Coffee, coffee maker might be visible on the picnic table.

4. I have one extra person along, but 4 times the amount of stuff to pack.

DM
mike

Except for the one rain storm at dinner, they all came when we were already in the tent, or not even at the camp ground. So they did not bother me one bit. Its not like they were all day soakers.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Tents are cozy with your lady inside, and raindrops pattering on the roof outside.

I know what you mean about the ratio of gear to participants. But, hey, you have two choices on styles of camping. When Katie goes with me, I take a tent. If she woke up in her hammock in the middle of the night, I'm afraid she would get scared or cry. I don't want that. When I solo, it's the Hennessy.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Mike, Great report and piccies mate - thank you.

BTW, In the second Piccie, the blue and grey sea kayak. Is it a Perception? If so, what model please. My wife has one that I think is identical and is marketed under the model of Contour here. Fine boats.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Hey Mick;
Yep, that boat is my Perception Sole' (now discontinued).
I believe it evolved from the Perception Shadow (pictured below, but it looks the same, except mine doenst have a rudder). The Sole is 14' long, and my number 1 boat off the rack for just paddling, especially when I dont know what I might encounter as far as rocks, shoals & oyster bars on the water.

PERSHRHSB.jpg

It is a very fast & nimble boat. I love paddling it. Alot of others who have paddled it have said the same thing. It is a great boat for smaller paddlers, especially small women.

DM
mike

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Mike,

Thanks mate. She looks identical to Robin's Contour and is the same length. I am betting they are one and the same boat.

I bought MY Contour years ago, Robin tried it the day I bought it and it instantly became HER contour :lol: I think I have been allowed to paddle it about twice since that day :lol:

Great boats, if a little on the heavy side.

I think they are still being made by Perception in New Zealand as is the good old Swing SOT.