Look Honey, It Floats! (my first kayak to build) | SouthernPaddler.com

Look Honey, It Floats! (my first kayak to build)

Ok, I had a post going on over on the Boat Building page about constructing my first kayak. To my delight, she is finally done! It actually only took about a week and a half, but I had quite a bit of time to devote to it, since I haven't started back to law school yet. I used the Canvasback plans from Jack Loganbill's site.

I took her out on a little pond near our place this morning, and I must say that I am impressed. I was worried my canvas would fall to pieces or I would otherwise sink. Other than a little bit of wobbliness ("low initial stability" in boat-talk, I think), I am very happy with it.

I followed the plans pretty closely, except for the top and side trim pieces. Those were for looks & to help protect the hull from dings & scratches. I haven't had time to calculate the total cost yet, but I think that--including a paddle and life vest--the whole package will come in under $150. That's a darn good price, in my opinion.

Let me know what you guys think! Oh, and I know that the boat looks small with me in it. It's only 12', and I'm 6'4". :)

Andrew

frame.jpg

floating.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks good, Flusche - congratulations! And - you even hired a handsome movie star fella to model the boat for us. I'm impressed.

Feels good to assemble something with your own hands and then use it, ehh?

Jack,

Thanks for the response. Building the boat was actually one of my most satisfying projects. I have dabbled with woodworking and woodturning for several years now, but never built anything more than a small desk. Actually turning some boards and canvas into a boat was pretty darn cool. I told my wife (who graciously came and took pictures of me, and didn't even laugh) that I want to build an airplane now. I wonder if I can do that for under $150...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
flusche

Good looking kayak, where is the rest of it?
Man talk about putting two tons in a one ton truck, You are bigger then the kayak and it floats?
That is a great commentary about the kayak and your boat building abilities. :D

It sure looks like you are going to have some fun days on the water if the wife does not decide she want's it for herself. Here is a hint..... Don't look like it is as much fun as it is and then you will be able to keep the kayak for yourself and never let them paddle it. A mistake I made with the youngest daughter, she paddled mine ( when we were trying it out) and when she got back to the shore she asked ... "Where am I going to keep MY KAYAK". Women :roll:

Great Job ...... You really need to post it in the Boat Bragging Section , If you would like to....

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuckie has three good points:
1. Don't let'em know how much fun it is.
2. Don't let her paddle it.
3. The last point, he covers with his hat.

I let my granddaughter, Katie, paddle her canoe, and sample jerky. DANG!

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Nice kayak. Build yourself one about 14 feet by adding 2 feet to the cockpit. Then you won't have to worry if the boss wants the 12 footer.