low water short trip | SouthernPaddler.com

low water short trip

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I was tired being in the house so I decided to take a short trip up Bayou Corne. I brought along my new toy, a Crossman 1377 pellet pistol.

I passed these guys sitting in a gnarly old cypress.

100_1062.jpg

Further up the bayou, it got real shallow due to the low water. Low water here is partly lack of rain and mostly north winds allowing the water exit out into the marshes and rivers. Check out the water marks on the trees.
100_1065.jpg

The water got so shallow that I started rubbing bottom so I decided to get out on land and make a lttle hot cocoa. Basic necessities-- handy alcohol stove, hot cocoa, a comfortable chair, and a neat little pellet pistol.
100_1064.jpg

I did a little exploring and found this interesting log loaded with mushrooms.
100_1066.jpg

It started to look like rain so I pulled out and stopped at a local joint for a bit of lunch. Delicious!

100_1067.jpg

It was a good morning .

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Kudos for getting out of the house , was that your perow you were paddling :lol:
What kind of scope and how does that little pistol shoot?
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ron, the perow is sitting on the sidelines more these days. :) The Swamper does just about anything and goes just about anywhere that's needed.

It's a Burris scope-- 1 1/2 power. I had it on my Ruger Mark II, but it works well on this pistol too. On paper it's OK out to 20 yards. I can usually keep most of my shots inside of 1 1/4" with a good percentage around 1". That's mostly my fault. I'm sure the gun can do better than that. BUT, she's murder on cans out to 35 yards. :mrgreen:

Jack, I've eaten local mushrooms that one of my cousins picked. I trusted him because he's a real stickler for details. If he said they were good, that was good enough for me. If I remember, the only ones good to eat are those growing on dead willow trees.

Joey

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Looks like custom grips on your pellet popper. My 1377 has plastic grips, I was gonna try my hand at making some, because the guys that make them custom, want what they are worth. Imagine that. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A few Jackisms for the outback:
Eat only mushrooms of which you are VERY, VERY CERTAIN. Little to no food value if right; lots of pain and death if wrong.
A good way to keep from getting lost - is to stay found.
If you're hoping to start a fire by rubbing two sticks of wood together, it's a good idea if one of them is a match.
In the outback, never pass up a chance to take a drink of good water. Later, never pass up a chance to get rid of that water.