Lower Buffalo River June, 2004 | SouthernPaddler.com

Lower Buffalo River June, 2004

A

Anonymous

Fellas,

I figgered I'd share some pichurs frum a trip last week down the lower Buffalo River. It dont look like nobody had a bad time.

Not only that, Mike uses that webshot spot ta put hiz pichurs up.

Ya kin tell nobody under Ole Sparkeys Curse went along. Nuthin' but Ole Dicky Betts "Blue Skies".

regards,

bearridge

http://community.webshots.com/album/152437404hhawDc

A

Anonymous

Friend Ole Sparkey,

When most folks think on campin' at a reglar campin' spot along a river, its puts 'em in a bad mind. Ya start thinkin' ya mite have ta listen ta "Sweet Home Alabama" 'n see kerosene lamps, both wide open all nite long.....mebbe Boy Scouts. It really aint that way if it takes a long 'er steep drive ta git ta the campin' spot.

It looks like Ole Mike 'n hiz expedishun jest throwed down on a sand/gravel bar. On the upper Buffalo its two reglar campin' spots where ya either got ta drive a good piece down a mountain gravel road (where folks aint used ta mountains turn their brakes ta mush), 'er its jest a mitey long drive down anuther gravel road.

Even if some rowdy folks went ta all that truble ta git back in there, Ranger Bubba would likely run 'em off. That gives ya more good choices on where ta camp, az long az school aint out. That time I camped at the reglar campin' spot on the upper part, it wuz only a few more folks there. They wuz quiet 'n respectful folk. They come down the river in a canoe.

Mebbe they jest didnt know "Sweet Home Alabama"? :wink:

regards,

bearridge
bodine expedishunary society

Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit. W. Somerset Maugham

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear

ya said .............. It looks like Ole Mike 'n hiz expedishun jest throwed down on a sand/gravel bar.

I beg to differ with you.... that was not a expendishun ..... that was an invading ARMY , or , NAVY depending on how ya look at it.

It does look like a good river to paddle in the off season when a person can enjoy the river and the company with him , if'n he wood want the company. :roll:

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

oldsparkey said:
that was not a expendishun ..... that was an invading ARMY , or , NAVY depending on how ya look at it.

Friend Chuck,

It had ta be over 20 folks. Gotta be a point where enuff iz enuff, but most a them folks wuz ACC members 'n live purty close by. I reckon they kin paddle in a small group most anytime they want.

I seen a heap a paddlin' spots on Mister Gores web, but that group iz jest plum different. One fella up 'n sez "lower Buffalo this weekend, who wants ta go?" Next thing its 20 folks all figgerin' it aint no better way ta spend the weekend. I bet only a few had ta drive over a hunerd miles.

They git tagether 'n clean up rivers 'n creeks ever now 'n then. They fish, but I seen some a them aint too good at cleanin' fish. Ole Kenny (never went off ta the bodine school fer az I know) put a wire brush on hiz lectric drill ta clean some bream. Well, I'll let Kenny tell it.

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

Setting on Lee Creek yesterday catching a cooler full of green sunfish, my mind was working at warp speed. Man, I love to catch those suckers and even mo love to eat them, but cleaning them is a pain.

You just don't get much satisfaction per fish vs the effort put out. The pile of fish at the end is great, but price per unit is pretty high during the cleaning. The main turd in the punchbowl is scaling the buggers.

All brain cells were firing as I ran through the options. Finally I had it. Use my drill, equipped with the wire brush attachment. All it would take is a delicate touch, a littel finesse and them suckers would be slick as a whistle.

Homeflap and Hal (he was there for the first episode of the new Reno 911 season) were not impressed when I got home. As a matter of fact, neither was Mikey when I bounced the idea off him. Hal, to his benefit, came up with a better idea: use your shop vac. Hmmmmmm.

That sounded mo betta. Homeflap was unimpressed. "Don't you think that someone would have already thought of that if it worked?" NO. Every idea had someone to think of it first. Anyway, Hals idea failed miserably. It sucked a few scales off (just enough to make the flys swarm my shop vac this morning). It also tended to get stuck to the paper I was working on and to the fish. The only highpoint was that it made very obscene noises when attached to the fish. I'll store that information away and use it at a later date.

My idea was even worse. Sadly it turned out just as Chiolino prognosticated. I waited till Hal left and whupped out the drill. Maybe with a little more finesse and a softer touch it could be done, but such are not my forte.

First fish was shot across the shed like a 2X4 four from a table saw. It ended up in spider land underneath my work bench. A broom handle with a nail attached was needed for the extraction.

Second one actually worked for part of one side. Then concentration lapsed and the brush gained a beachhead amongst the ribs. The fish didn't fly away cause I had it secured it to my workmate with two clamps, but it must have flexed, giveing the wire brush a bite on two sides of the fish and torqueing it into a tight spiral.

Mind was willing but the flesh was weak. Bones, sinew and scales gave way into a cyclone of gore. A fishnado. All that was left was a head and a tail with a very conspicuous gap where the body cavity used to be. The missing fish was evenly distributed on me and the shed. The pocket knife worked well for the rest of the fish

-----
Kenny

A

Anonymous

Friend & High Sheriff,

It wuz anuther pichur takin' fella on that low Buffalo trip, but he joined up late 'n mostly took pichurs of hiz family 'n hiz dog. He haz several pichur albums on hiz web spot.

Justin, look at the first page in hiz album showin' how them ACC folks cleaned up that Beaver Pond. Az ya kin see it aint that hard ta find good help these days! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

http://community.webshots.com/user/mjchiolino

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
bearridge said:
(SNIP) First fish was shot across the shed like a 2X4 four from a table saw. It ended up in spider land underneath my work bench. A broom handle with a nail attached was needed for the extraction. (SNIP)
Can you say "filet knife"? Better yet, say "hamburger".

Do like the Indians did. Catch a fish, plant it with corn, grow corn, feed corn to cow, eat beef. No scales and it doesn't smell like low-tide. Best of all, beef doesn't taste like fish.

Pirogue

I took a gander at your trip last night. It looks like you guys had a good time.

Is this the same stretch of river for the Paddlin Geezer Expudision? Looks nice but those rocks on the beach look like they can be a little rough.

Great time. It's getting me thinkin n' wishin. :roll:

A

Anonymous

Friend Pirogue,

Fer the benefit a everone here. Nope. I didnt git ta make that expedishun. Looks like a fun group. I have had the pleasure of paddlin' with a heap a Arkansaw paddlers. They wuz all fine folks. Most of 'em liked mustard 'n biscuits. Um hmmmm.

regards,

The Great Miscommunicator

P.S. That trip last Sunday wuz down on the low end, jest above the fancy ranger park at Buffalo Point. I paddled it once upon a time. I aim ta expedishun next April on the upper part. Its a bit purtier...more cliffs 'n the water moves a bit faster.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
There's a lot of "fish scalers' out there. But the best one and the cheapest and fastest is the old Coke bottle top. Some can remember when we had to open soda or pop with a piece of metal, church key as known in some places. Tack the lid to a stick and have at it. Scales would just be a flyin!
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I took this from the fishing section and the post is called the Southern (easy) way to clean fish.

1. Cut through the backbone right behind the head. Next slit the skin on both sides of the dorsal fin all the way to the tail of the fish. DO NOT cut the dorsal fin. You will se why in a sec.

Then peel the skin back in a triangle (45 degrees from the head to the tail of the fish) from the start or head of all of the cuts.

2. Bend the head down with one hand and with the other hand place the fingers under the backbone and lift up. Everything will separate and you will just have the meat and bones.

3. NOW ..For pan fish (after they are cleaned) make a deeper cut along the backbone and dorsal fin then when the fish is cooked the meat will fall off the bones when you pull on the dorsal fin. :D

NOTE........ The only simpler and easier way to clean them is to get someone else to clean them for you. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge said:
Friend & High Sheriff,

It wuz anuther pichur takin' fella on that low Buffalo trip, but he joined up late 'n mostly took pichurs of hiz family 'n hiz dog. He haz several pichur albums on hiz web spot.

Justin, look at the first page in hiz album showin' how them ACC folks cleaned up that Beaver Pond. Az ya kin see it aint that hard ta find good help these days! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer

http://community.webshots.com/user/mjchiolino

whats the ACC stand for?

Thats a lot of people on a trip, I would say almost two many.

A

Anonymous

Friend Justin,

Arkansaw Canoe Club.

Didnt look at the Beaver Pond cleanup crew did ya? 8) Whatsamatta U, dont like brunettes? :wink:

regards,

bearridge

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

I bet Kenny would be jest fine with that. Ya better dress up though cuz I seen hiz pichur in one a them photo books. He had a plucked chicken on hiz helmet.

Kenny iz a geezer fer sho. He mite a been over ta the Bodine College. There wuz a plucked chicken fraternity.

regards,

bearridge