LSU Pirogue build | SouthernPaddler.com

LSU Pirogue build

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
genes_boat_pic_0011.jpg

well this was my first build in plywood. It was the first ever with my oldest grandson also. We built according to the LSU pirogue plan except we left the full rocker in the sides and put the chines on the outside because of so many obstacles in the water here. It was a fun and interesting project for us and very inexpensive.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You two gentlemen do a great job together and we have seen the proof of that. :D Now we need to know if you have as much enjoyment enjoying the fruits of your labor. After all building the boat together is only half the fun but does create life time memories.

Chuck

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
pereaux said:
genes_boat_pic_0011.jpg

well this was my first build in plywood. It was the first ever with my oldest grandson also. We built according to the LSU pirogue plan except we left the full rocker in the sides and put the chines on the outside because of so many obstacles in the water here. It was a fun and interesting project for us and very inexpensive.

Are you two from around Baton Rouge? Great job on the boat. Hope to see you guys out on University Lake one weekend. :mrgreen:

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
No we live on the Sabine river swamp. Next to the Louisiana - Texas state line. Baton Rouge is a long way from us, but I may be seen anywhere as I sure enjoy seeing new places. Later.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
pereaux....

Piper is talking about having another get together next year , would be some fun if you would make it when everything is set and the date is certain.

"O" If you decided to make it ... Bring your boat and one hardy appetite. :D
Some pictures have been lost thanks to photo shop but there are still some on there. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6233

There are more in other posts about the get together.

Chuck.

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
I'll try to keep an eye out for the date, so I can meet some of you guys in real person. I think that would be great. I sure enjoy mingleing on the sight with ya'll. Seems like a bunch of good people with simalar ideas. Oh yes! I know how to eat also. Good day

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
attachment=0]john&hank[1].jpg[/attachment]
Well mr. Beekeeper, I thought you was tired of my ole pictures. But if you aren't , here is a picture of the inside of the LSU pirouge, that The oldest one and I built for him some summer money. I got the pleasure of building with him and he gets to buy what he wants with what he earned. It sure beats just handing them some money. And at least they learn a little bit. The cypress plank boat is what we built prior to this one. He says he is going to keep it. I sure hope he does. I have one grandson left to build with and the summer is getting shorter.Ya'll take care now.

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
Wow! I looked at your pictures. It looked like you'all had a good time. Good food , mabye a little music and of course boats. Not bad. A very good combination. Ain't LiFE GOOD!

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Hey Pereaux! Neat boat in that "boat to keep" photo. Do you have plans/dimensions/drawings? It appears to be a square ended craft resembling a sampan.

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
Well mr. Bears Buddy, I don't have any plans as such, but in my swamp pirogue build post I pretty much described the measurements for that kind of boat but this particular one is 10' long , 28 ' on the bottom , 36" wide across top at the middle of the boat and each end is 18 " wide the transom is about 8" tall and the front 4 to 6 ". The sides are 10.5" tall. When the sides were cut they were cut back 36" from each end after measuring down 4" on each end. The ribs are 18' apart from a double center rib. the plywood bottom extends about 3/4" out from the sides and end. Please note there are many different choices that can be changed and still be a correct way to build this type of craft. These are the types most common in our area. The sides are placed at 20 to 25 degrees and all the ribs are cut at the same, sometimes a few have to be fit with a grinder or sander as they are installed. If you plan on building one I would be glad to corespond through the mail , or Pm me . Hope this will help you a little. A hardwood strip is put on top of the sides to protect the softer wood sides. good day

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Thanks. I carry a little more ballast than the youngster in the photo (bite your tongue, Jack); so it would have to be a bit larger. Love the shape for shallow water fishing. It looks like it would be an easy build in plywood with stitch and glue chines.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BEARS BUDDY said:
Thanks. I carry a little more ballast than the youngster in the photo (bite your tongue, Jack);
Anyone else remember the line from Edmund Fitzgerald? "With a load of iron ore, 26,000 tons more, than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty..."?

Gordon Lightfoot had evidently paddled with Bear's Buddy before he wrote the song. :lol:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
BEARS BUDDY said:
Thanks. I carry a little more ballast than the youngster in the photo (bite your tongue, Jack);
Anyone else remember the line from Edmund Fitzgerald? "With a load of iron ore, 26,000 tons more, than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty..."?

Gordon Lightfoot had evidently paddled with Bear's Buddy before he wrote the song. :lol:

I AM INSULTED! I resemble that remark, Jack.