Maggots | SouthernPaddler.com

Maggots

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Any of you guys fish with maggots? I was thinking of tying a very basic spider type pattern with the beadchain and silly legs only then tips the hook with a maggot.

I have never fished with maggots. But I'm willing to try anything. I'm one of these fly fishing only or live bait only type guy. I will fish with whatever the fish want. I just figured maybe using artificial with live bait would be a deadly combination.

I fish mainly for blue gill.

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
I've fished with a few unsavory guys over the years, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them that!!!!!! :lol:
The maggots will tear blue gill up. Also jap beatle grubs, the ones that eat your lawn, will drive them crazy.
I don't know about the spider knock-off. I've seen a lot of spiders running around on the water fairly unmolested.
Just my 2 cents worth!!!!
Richard

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I would expect that it would be hard to keep a maggot on the hook while fly fishing. I think that the maggot would probably keep moving backwards when the fly suddenly changed directions at the end of the back-cast. As a kid, I would often knock down wasp nests and use the larva for bait. They were very good blue gill bait.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Take a can of dog food and with a church key make holes on the top and bottom and on the side ends of the can. Run a string through two of the holes and hang the can over the water. When there is enough maggots in the can that they start falling out of the can into the water it will be time to go fishing under the can.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There's a old trick we did for a mess of catfish ( they are darn good fry-ed with some grits on the side or done in a chowder) down here.

One can of dog food , punch a lot of holes in it with a ice pick , sink it in a bag or something a gator can't gulp down. Drop it in the water , a deep hole , and come back a few days later with some bait and fill your boat with catfish. Some times just a gold ( nice and shinney ) hook will work , normally in the winter.

Not really legal in these times but it sure makes a honey hole for fishing and even better ... one good supper. :D

Disclaimer.... This is for information only and about how things were done in the past to feed your family and not recommended to be done today since it is against the law. Just like cutting a bunch of Swamp Cabbage , ( Palm Hearts ) dang good but will land you in Jail today.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Wannabe said:
Take a can of dog food and with a church key make holes on the top and bottom and on the side ends of the can. Run a string through two of the holes and hang the can over the water. When there is enough maggots in the can that they start falling out of the can into the water it will be time to go fishing under the can.
If he'd added garlic to this, I'd have thought that Yakus Sicillianicus had offered another recipe. :)

If he'd added gritz, then I would hav thought maybe Chuckie was telling about supper again. :?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Wannabe said:
If he'd added garlic to this, I'd have thought that Yakus Sicillianicus had offered another recipe. :)

If he'd added gritz, then I would hav thought maybe Chuckie was telling about supper again. :?

As in the above post , trust a Dam Yankee to have something to say and they have no idea of what we are discussing , just answering something only known in there feeble mind and totally to themselves.

I can always count on that person for something not related to the subject matter or making any sense from his response.

We do believe in helping and humoring the handicapped on here. Bless them for they are a vanishing but lovable breed.

Best thing to do is just to humor them....... Especially since we do enjoy the responces he makes , without them life would be borning and we would know what is going on and never have anything to disagree or think about. :lol:

Chuck.
PS.. I bet he still puts his ground cloth inside the tent , dang , I bet he wears it as a rain coat , now if I could just get him to use something besides Luann for his boats and leave my grit supply alone. Dream on Sparkey. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
...I bet he still puts his ground cloth inside the tent , dang , I bet he wears it as a rain coat , now if I could just get him to use something besides Luann for his boats and leave my grit supply alone.
And I'm as willing to bet that Chuck already has a can of dog food "seasoning" to try out for supper this weekend. Try'em on a RItz!

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Hey guys check out any "coarse fishing site" .uk They've used maggots there to fish with forever and they are DYNAMITE!
Hold your forefinger and thumb about four mm apart that is typical hook size, overall! size 22.
With such fine hooks you can easily (ok we old ppl need glasses to find the hook never mind bait it up) hook a maggot by what looks like a little beard on the fat end. It will not damage the appeance of the maggot. It's just a flap of flesh. Used singly or in 'bunches' on a small hook. If you try to hook the maggot through its body it will burst and be of no use. You can buy coloured maggots, pink, red, yellow, green etc, just dye added to their food. Millions of pounds a year are spent on maggots for fishing there.
I once knew a guy who worked in a "maggot farm" just racks of rotting meat left in an old barn for flies to lay eggs on. One morning he went in and found a hedgehog that had gorged itself on the little buggers. It ate so much it couldn't move. Then the maggots got their own back and began eating the hedgehog.
As a livebait on freshwater fish they are unsurpassable.
ps, They are extremely clean when kept in sawdust, They keep for a week or so if chilled, just make sure you don't use the house fridge, or you'll be up for a divorce. 8)

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:

Believe it or not I believe it may have been Wally World where I saw garlic flavored stink bait! :? Probably just Vienny Sausages infused with garlic. I believe catfish stink bait and Vienny Sausage is made from the same stuff, only one is in link form. :roll:

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
john the pom said:
Hey guys check out any "coarse fishing site" .uk They've used maggots there to fish with forever and they are DYNAMITE!
Hold your forefinger and thumb about four mm apart that is typical hook size, overall! size 22.
With such fine hooks you can easily (ok we old ppl need glasses to find the hook never mind bait it up) hook a maggot by what looks like a little beard on the fat end. It will not damage the appeance of the maggot. It's just a flap of flesh. Used singly or in 'bunches' on a small hook. If you try to hook the maggot through its body it will burst and be of no use. You can buy coloured maggots, pink, red, yellow, green etc, just dye added to their food. Millions of pounds a year are spent on maggots for fishing there.
I once knew a guy who worked in a "maggot farm" just racks of rotting meat left in an old barn for flies to lay eggs on. One morning he went in and found a hedgehog that had gorged itself on the little buggers. It ate so much it couldn't move. Then the maggots got their own back and began eating the hedgehog.
As a livebait on freshwater fish they are unsurpassable.
ps, They are extremely clean when kept in sawdust, They keep for a week or so if chilled, just make sure you don't use the house fridge, or you'll be up for a divorce. 8)

I was just wondering if super small hooks would be the best thing for maggots. I'm single so it's not much of a problem.

So i guess you could make your own maggots with no problem? They're kind of hard to find in baits store here in the US.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
On a sort of related subject: I read of a guy who had either remote property on a lake, or owned a large private lake, and he had driven tripods into the bottom of several arms of water. He installed hardware cloth baskets on the tripods, about two feet above the water.
He would take all his fish guts and carcasses and put them in the baskets. The flys would infest the carcasses, the maggots would drop though the wire, and the bream would eat the maggots.
From the pictures, if memory serves, he was getting nice pound and a half bluegill and 3/4 pound rock bass.
There may be some legal issues on public water, I would imagine.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Cool Sound like as neat a method as any for maggots. I decided to start a meal worm farm instead. It seems a little easier since they are "vegetarian."

Many of the pupae have morphed. Now I'm waiting for them to breed.