Maiden Voyage of my Piro | SouthernPaddler.com

Maiden Voyage of my Piro

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Okay People :

Grab your favorite libation and a comfortable chair and check out this unusual launching.

A comment about the pics first ..... No PFD. I did not intend to go into water deeper than my knees, this launching was to test the airtight compartments and not to paddle around the lake.

I am building an SS(Sparky Seat) seat and it wasn't finished, so I stole the seat design from Piper and used a temporary seat. (PS... Piper - It didn't work too well because my center of gravity was too high for the weather conditions.)

IM001333.jpg

Piper .... here is your design. As you can see I added an improvement in the form of a brace under the seat. Thanks for the idea! Cheap, too!

[/img]
IM001261.jpg

Off the cart and into the water. The narrow wheels will have to be replaced with balloon tires next week because they sunk into the sand and made it difficult to pull to the beach.

IM001266.jpg

As you can see the waves made this inaugural launch a near impossibility.
Most of the waves were 1 to 2 feet high, with some more than 3 feet.

[/img]
IM001267.jpg

I was surprised at how well the piro rode the waves, at this point the water was about knee deep. I was also checking the stability of the piro and trying to get a feel for the balance. I also began to doubt the wisdom of launching today.

[/img]
IM001280.jpg

Took the piro back to shore and decided to check the buoyancy of the compartments. I am filling the piro with water and am trying to sink it.

IM001281.jpg

Full of water and preparing to climb in to see if it would support me.

[/img]
IM001284.jpg

The piro seemed to support me well. I couldn't get it to go any deeper in the water than this. The compartments worked very well.

IM001293.jpg

Checking the compartments for leaks after sinking the piro. I had a leak in one compartment, but it cleaned up with a rag when I got back to the house, less than an ounce of water.

IM001304.jpg

So, full of new found confidence, I decided to go out and try sitting on the seat rather than kneeling, which I had done to this point.

IM001305.jpg

Well, everything was going well, except every other wave was coming over the bow , when I realized I have to spin this thing around and head back to the beach. Well, this photo is the beginning of a broaching maneuver and in the water I went.

[/img]
IM001307.jpg

As you can see, the water was only knee deep, so I managed to recover and not drown. Obviously, this is not a good day to launch a flat bottom boat on the lake.

IM001314.jpg

I pulled the piro up on the beach and drqined the water out. Very easy to do because of the light weight.

[/img]
IM001316.jpg

Back on the cart and back to the house. I wanted to find the source of the leak in the compartment. Which I did, there was a separation in the stem area between the side panel and the stem. I had sanded the joint between the side and the stem to smooth it out and the resin was very thin in that area and had broken thru and allowed the water in. Just a minor problem and I will add a coat of resin and cloth to the whole nose of the piro to take care of the problem.

Well, I learned a lot today. One, it's not a white water kayak!!! Two, the lake is beginning to get cold! I would guess that 80% of the waves came over the bow and I think I will add a splash shield to the front of the deck. I do not intend to take the piro out in these conditions again, this was only to see how well the compartments would support a filled piro. It was virtually impossible to get it to sink lower than the gunwale, so I am very pleased with the buoyancy.

Now, I have to finish my SS seat( Is it Sparky Seat or Sparkey Seat or Sparky's Seat??) Inquiring minds want to know. I also have to add the bow and stern handholds and tiedowns . I also have to add an anchoring system and have been following the thread that FlaMike and CCtyer have and think I will steal Chris's idea for the anchoring system. It is very simple and seems to work well. Thanks for the idea Chris!

So, that is my unusual launch day. You will notice that all of the pics were taken from a distance, that is because my wife took them and she does not swim and avoids the beach. She stood about 40 feet from the water. The only boat she will get into is a cruise ship of at least 600 feet in length! We have a beautiful beach, but she only sunbathes and has only gone into the water once in the 12 years we have lived here.

I have made a lot of mistakes in the building of this piro but am very happy with the results. This is a fishing boat and not a show piece so I am not concerned about the minor errors in the resin and other small details. My next one will be a showpiece.

I will post more pics when I finish the details that I have listed above.

JC

Jim

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Jim,

Congratulations on the launching of a fine boat. Well done mate. AND you got wet, goodonyamaaaaate! :D

Nice piccies and beach BTW.

A couple of points mate if ya don't mind.

In the Surf, ya need to sit as low as possible. I would suggest you try that again in similar conditions, sitting directly on the bottom of the boat. You will be surprised at the difference in stability.

If ya don't mind getting wet, the pirogues are a hoot to play with in small surf like that.

Also, your temp seat has nothing to stop it from slipping sideways on the flat bottom of your boat. Not a big deal in flat water but a very big deal in surf or chop.

I think you are going to love your new boat mate. Bloody well done!! :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Pirogue looks great and the water-tight ends did their job.

Good deal! :D

I was pleasantly surprised at how well my Pirogue handled a passing boat's wake the first time I found myself in that situation. But I had plenty of time to alter my course and take them almost head-on.

You experience confirms my notion that my Pirogue was meant for very protected waters, mostly backcountry areas that most of the powerboats avoid.

Nicely done! Hope you enjoy it.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jim,

Turnin' yer boat bottom upwards wuz a good thing. Until ya do, ya dont really know what it kin do.....'n what it caint do. However, I agree with Mick, set on the bottom 'n give it anuther try. Jest dont let a wave catch ya sideways. :wink:

regards
bearridge

In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take. Adlai Stevenson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That was sure a small lake you tried the pirogue out in , looked like the ocean but what would you expect from someone who paddles swamps.

I never have surfed in one but it looks like some fun and will have to try it sometime. I don't have the chambers in the ends of the ones I build but it sure looks like a good safety feature for the boats. Dry storage and flotation at the same time. :D

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JC,

Really good. I'm proud to see guys build and paddle their own boats.

Two observations. First, when you turned sideways, you proved exactly what happens with a flat bottomed boat in high waves. The flat bottom follows the angle of the face and back of the wave, rolling (sometimes violently) with the passing wave and tossing around the passenger.

Second, a thought for your consideration. In each of your waterproof chambers, I suggest that you drill one, tiny hole above the hatch, as high up on the bulkhead as you can get. As small a diameter drill as you have, no larger than the lead in a fine line eversharp pencil (if you are old enough to remember those, say 1/32"). This will allow passage of air as the sun heats it or water cools it, but not water. Also, store the boat with the hatches out and full ventilation allowed.

Oh, a third observation. I wouldn't store beer in there. If a wave hits when you're getting a beer, it could both drop the beer overboard, and sink the boat. At least one of those would be tragic.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Way to get wet JC, I have to agree with these fellers getting wet was a good thing. I had to do the same thing only without the waves to find out were she goes in. I also sank mine at the boat ramp to see how bouant it was full of water. I don't have flotation compartments but it was pretty bouant even without them. I also have a large dry bag full of air and a few other things I attached at the rear that really helps out two fold. It keeps my stuff dry and should I have a deep water capsize I know she wont go down to see Davy Jones.

The boat looks great! The seat will give you a lot more comfort and a better position to paddle. I made a lower version that has a padded seat that is only about 2.5 inches above the bottom and it is very stable but the origainal SS is what I use the most. I put the seat just aft of the center (that's were it feels the most stable for me) and glued some rubber to the botttom of the seat so it wont slide.

Have fun with the anchor trolley it's a very simple design and works nicely. If you come up with any other improvments please share.

Chad a.k.a. Chris for some reason! :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Getting older, I started thinking of things like "mortality", and "if I don't take better care of myself, I may not make it back" kinda things. You guys talking about sink-testing your craft make me think of me.

In case I'm soloing and get stuck in a situation where I can't make it out by myself, I want to be able to summon help. I bought two pieces of equipment. A flare gun and an EPIRB.

West marine sells the flare guns http://www.westmarine.com/ with extra flares. These fire "12 ga" flares up in the air.

I bought an ACR Electronics Terra Fix (same as Aqua Fix except for color of case). You can go to http://www.acrelectronics.com/PLBorig/gypsi.html and find them. Then, go to www.pricegrabber.com for the best price. I bought the one with GPS integral to the unit (costs about another $100). Otherwise, you have to fiddle with two pieces of gear while wallowing in the water to tell the US Coast Guard where you are within less than a mile. My unit tells them within 100 yards, and then sends a homing beacon to the inbound chopper. I hope the money is wasted and it's never used.

Should you partially sink your boat, and survival is in question, these two pieces of gear can save your Life. If you're interested in anything like that.