maiden voyage | SouthernPaddler.com

maiden voyage

1fast68

Jan 8, 2007
South-Central Arkansas
I finally got the uncle johns john boat on the water yesterday. I wanted to thank everyone for their help with the project. It doesn't seem like it took 4 months to get this far. I still have some detail work to do on the inside and some final paint on the outside but I had no leaks at all (with 5 gal of epoxy and fiberglass I was hoping I didn't). It tracked straight, I’m assuming the graphite on the bottom is the reason it doesn't turn quick but I can back off the gas and it turns fine. It is fun to slide it around a corner. I ended up putting a '57 35hp Johnson on it. It has a beat up prop and I was still able to get 29mph (by gps) out of it. I don't have any pictures of it in the water but i will try to get some posted shortly. It plains at about 10mph. I have a fishing tournament this coming weekend. Bet I have the only home built boat there. :)

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
1fast68 said:
I’m assuming the graphite on the bottom is the reason it doesn't turn quick but I can back off the gas and it turns fine. It is fun to slide it around a corner. I ended up putting a '57 35hp Johnson on it. It has a beat up prop and I was still able to get 29mph (by gps) out of it. I don't have any pictures of it in the water but i will try to get some posted shortly. It plains at about 10mph.

I've got this boat with the exact same motor. I can tell you, its got nothing to do with the graphite on the bottom that makes it hard to turn. I do the same thing with this boat which has an almost flat bottom at the transom. Cut back on the throttle, turn the wheel and hammer it. It'll cut the back cornor almost 12" under the waterline and leave an unbelieveable wake and turn on a dime. In order to make it turn better you'd need to add a fin under it about 2/3 of the way back from the bow.

pic327e.jpg

I was getting a great deal of nose slap with that heavy motor but eliminated it with some home made trim tabs. I hit 34mph with that same motor and a 12p prop and was still going up when I spun the hub. :lol: My boat is 11' long. I've considered making a mini bass boat out of it.

Looking forward to pics.