Maiden voyage | SouthernPaddler.com

Maiden voyage

ObionRiverRat

Aug 9, 2007
Obion TN
Man i got her in the water this morning
100_0911.jpg

Gettin in for the first time was different but i couldnt believe how it handled after i got used to it
100_0916.jpg

Gone man i couldnt quit grinnin. Think i found me a new hobbie. I got more than i can afford now
CIMG0540.jpg

papachoochoo

Jul 30, 2007
Tyler, Texas
ORR,
Man, that was fast build, I'm sure you didn't have time to take very many pictures, please post the ones you did take.
One of the things I learned building a strip pirogue is why yall build them ou of plywood. They will go together faster.
Looks very good, hope you take pictures and post them of your trip on September 1st., LOVE TO SEE HER IN ACTION.
papachoochoo

EVER FORWARD, BUT SLOWLY

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
She is a beauty. I really think you have broken a time record for a pirogue build. Seems like only a week has passed since you got your plans! :shock:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
ORR, I agree with Yaker. You set some kind of record. The boat looks awesome and you should be proud. I'm sure she will give you many happy outings.

How about some stats on the boat? She looks to be a little shorter than mine. How does she handle?

Good luck and happy boating! :wink:

Chad

ObionRiverRat

Aug 9, 2007
Obion TN
It is 15'6" long and 25" across the bottom. It really handles good, I couldnt believe how good it paddles. I cant decide if I want to graphite the bottom.

My daughter and i went for a 3 hr paddle this afternoon and she went to sleep in my lap. Man we had a fun!

Thank yall for all the compliments

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Wow ORR, you must have some long legs. It just looks smaller in the photo, but in fact it's a bit longer than mine. Good for you taking your daughter with you! They grow up in such a hurry. I have to agree with Jack, before you know it they just want the car keys and some space from the parental units. Have fun with your boat and your daughter.

ObionRiverRat

Aug 9, 2007
Obion TN
Yea i got long legs and slue feet hehe. I dont know why it looks smaller.

Yea i dread those days. Maybe they wont be to bad.

Trick photography

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
HRR, your firs clues will be when she seems to be about 12, going on 20 or 30. Mid sentence, she will change back and forth from a little girl to a woman and back again.

It's as confusing to her as it is to you, but - to her it will also be exhilarating. To you, its just more frustrating confusion.

It's a kid's job (whether human or animal) to push the envelope. It's a parent's job to establish and hold the boundaries. Good luck. Love her well.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
One fine-looking Pirogue there, Rat! :D

I did do the epoxy-graphite bottom on mine and am glad I did. I spend more time in saltwater than fresh, and have frequent "close" encounters with oyster bars.

Right now, the boat has a number of wicked-looking scratches on the bottom and if not for the extra layers of epoxy-graphite, I'm certain some would have been down into the glass cloth.

That epoxy-graphite is tough stuff! I'll soon have to add a touch-up coat. Without it, I'd probably be looking at a much bigger job.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

ObionRiverRat

Aug 9, 2007
Obion TN
Yea i better epoxy/graphite mine then. Im pretty hard on stuff. Im going to Current River in Van Buren MO this weekend. It is all rocks. I bet i bring home a few good scufs.

Built her to use not to look @. Even if it is easy to look at.