Maiden Voyage | SouthernPaddler.com

Maiden Voyage

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, I like your boat. And, it's obvious that your Dad has handled a paddle once or twice. Your wife is more proud of your Son than the boat, I think. :D Mommas do that sorta thing.
There must be fish in that pond, your Son will get a heck of a kick out of catching a fish, "helping" clean it, and eating it after his Mom fries it up.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Looks like fun. :) Self built boats do that. :D
"No leaks." = Always a good feeling. Were you holding you breath when you launched it?

beekeeper

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL
I was casting a line a few times until it got all rat nested on me then I quit... :oops: Yes my dad grew up on a farm and was quite adept at paddling / sculling a small boat or canoe. I was practicing my J stroke when I was soloing. Eventually I will get a trolling motor on there but for now it is nice to just get it out on the water and mess around. Yes my wife is really more into the boy than the boat but at least she put up with me spending the time to build it. That Pond sure looks really good for fishing but didn't see anything larger than 5 inches swimming in the shallows. no luck on the "catching". And yes the first cast off I did hold my breath... lol I was just hoping it would support my weight and it did so quite nicely... I think maybe a bucket of water or something in the bow may help to counter balance if I am sitting closer to the transom