Making Flotation Bags | SouthernPaddler.com

Making Flotation Bags

nobucks

Jack asked for info on this so I thought I'd post here and share the info with more than just him. BTW, Jack, I was wrong, and you were right. I had posted info on this here: http://blackdogkayaks.com/forum/YaBB.pl ... 49782415/0 and also somewhere on Sparky's forum.

To make flotation bags, all you need is some HH-66, which is an industrial strength vinyl cement/welding compound, a few yards of clear, 20 mil vinyl, some clear vinyl tubing, and some valves from NRS
bag06.jpg

Measure the kayak at the bow, around the point that you want the bag to end. Record the result. Go back to the point where the bag will begin, somewhere in front of the kayak's footwell. Measure around the kayak again and record the result. Now measure the distance between these two points and that's the length of the bag.

Mark the distance on your clear vinyl, which, in our example, is 32 inches.
bag05.jpg

With that as the center line, take the circumference measurement from the bow, and divide it in half, which, in our example, is 32 inches divided by 2, which is 16 inches. Mark a line that long at one end of the center line, 90 degrees to the center line.
bag03.jpg

Do the same with the other circumference measurement, marking it at the other end of the line. In this case, that measurement is 47 inches, divided by 2, equals 23.5 inches.
bag04.jpg

bag02.jpg

Draw lines between the two half-circumference lines, connecting them to each other. Cut this piece out, then lay it down on the vinyl again and trace and cut another half.

Apply HH-66, to one side of each piece and stick these together. Then do the same with the other side and the small end of the bag. At the wide end, glue it together, but leave one or two inches unglued.

bag01.jpg

After the HH-66 cures, cut a length of clear vinyl tubing, long enough to reach from the end of the bag to the cockpit, so that you can insert the empty bag, then inflate it. Coat approximately one inch of the tubing with HH-66, as well as the inch or two of the float bag that you left unglued. Insert the tube into the opening in the float bag and clamp it on either side to make an airtight glue joint.

When the glue cures, insert an NRS valve into the other end of the tubing and inflate.

nobucks

--

I get the hose from a local hardward store, 3/8's, I think, but you can take the valve with you to the store to fit it.

The HH-66 is available online from Rochford Supply although you may have to pay more for hazardous shipping, or, at least, shipping will be slow since it has to go by ground because it is classified as hazardous.

I get mine from a local canvas shop. Any shop that works with canvas, uphostelry, etc., should have HH-66. Sign shops are a good source, as they work with vinyl coated fabrics for signs. They are also a good source for vinyl fabric.

Otherwise, if I am using clear vinyl, I buy it at JoAnn fabrics. Most fabric store should have it. Canvas shops should have it too, as they use it for windows on boat tops.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Joel,

Mate, I am thinking this might be a very good way to make kayak dry bags too. Have you tried it?

Oh, and any chance of some full piccies of that beautiful kayak please. It looks brilliant from what I can see. :D

nobucks

--

Mick, that's the Black Dog Greenland Style Kayak.

We have shipped internationally to the UK and to Canada at a reasonable cost, so I'm sure we could ship one to Oz.

gl-36.jpg

gl-37.jpg

I have made drybags for my camera and my cell phone. With the larger bag, just leave out the inflation tube, don't glue the top seam, and just add some Velcro and you'd be good to go.

Jack, no problem, I'm always glad to help!