Making Pies | SouthernPaddler.com

Making Pies

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
This time of year, the Eastern Stars here in Okemos make pies to sell for the holidays. Today, we're making apple, pumpkin and pecan. My job was on the "apple brigade". I dutifully showed up with my cranky-cranky-peeler-coreer-slicer and joined about 5-6 other folks already working on apples. Other crews were making and baking the pumpkin and pecan pies, folding boxes, setting out lunch, etc. etc.

Now, apples bake down, so they stuff a few extra ones in. These babies dome up about 5" high when they go into the ovens! Those big, convection ovens standing alongside regular ovens, can churn out some really, good pies.

Tomorrow, I'll pick up two apples and a pumpkin. One apple pie goes to a friend, and the other one accompanies its pumpkin cousin when Julie and I have dinner with her brother. I've already told Ken that each pie will be missing a piece. Afterall - we have to test it to be sure the pies are OK for the working troops to eat?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I make sure there is a Pecan Pie for me cooked the old fashion way ( all from scratch). The wife always wants a Apple pie with ice cream on it , vanilla naturally.

Between those aromas and the homemade Cranberry sauce the wife cooks up this place has a lot of good aromas drifting around all day long. This year it is going to be a really large Hickory Smoked Ham as the center piece for everyone to pick on. Not even thinking of all the rest that is being cooked.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Your kitchen smells good - even from here, Chuck. You're a fortunate guy.

We all, each of us, need to pause, lower our heads, and think a bit about all of the things we have for which to be thankful. The most basic fredom we have, is our freedom to make choices - choices in almost everything we do.

Thank you, God. And thank you America.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
AMEN on that Jack. One of my friends just bought a convection oven and I ask him how many pies he could bake at a time and he said twenty. He also has a rotisserie pit that will do 40 chickens or about 20 briskets at a time. Needless to say, he makes money with them. Not many trees down here made many pecans this year. My supply is getting pretty thin. I do love a pecan pie, sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, apple, lemon, black bottom pie, and last but not least, PIE. :mrgreen:
Bob

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
When we eating? Jack you can drop ship me one via the duck. :D :mrgreen: :lol: hope all yal old De geezers have a great and safe thanksgiving. Remember our service men and first resresponders. Glad to live in america . god bless america amen