Making wooden wing paddles? | SouthernPaddler.com

Making wooden wing paddles?

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi,

I am currently making my first kayak, with 2 more to quickly follow...so want to keep with the timber theme and make my own paddles.

As my main interest is flatwater/marathon kayaking, I currently use a "wing paddle" - where the blade has a pronounced 'scoop' shape. I'd like to try (after starting on something easier) to make a wooden one to race with. Will post pics if I work out how :) (Or do a search on Google images for "wing paddle kayak")

Has anyone seen/tried to make a wooden paddle with a scoop blade?

My thought was to perhaps use a thin aluminum tube for the core of the shaft (or something similar) to add strength and reduce weight, then epoxy drilled-out wood to this which will then be shaped. Blades would be laminated up and shaped, then epoxied for protection.

Difficult part would be getting both blades exactly the same.

Any exteriences/thoughts?

Regards,
Darren
Melbourne, Australia

[/img]

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Hi,

Yes, hence my comment "after starting on something easier" - I'll do a Greenland or euro/flat-bladed paddle first.

Just want to know if it's been done / possible - would it be strong enough given the thin blade and shape, etc?

Regards,
Darren

islandpiper

how about this.......make a mold the shape you want, laminate all the blades on the same mold using epoxy and 1/28" wood veneer.......trim, fit to shafts.

Save lots of carving and they'd be strong.

Need help with the layout to cut the shapes ALL ALIKE? I can help or several of these other fellows can too.

Piper

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Piper, ditto what Mick said :D

That sounds like the way to go, the layers of expoxy would give me the strength I need in the blades. Only question would be how to get the 'lip' in the mould - I guess by brining the top mould out at an angle. Something to think about.

Hmmm....Could even do an inner layer of carbon fibre with veneered outsides.

Thanks for the inspiration. Would be interested in ideas on how to do the moulds, appreciate the offer.

Any thoughts on the shaft? I thought about boring out lengths of rectangular stock and insrting an aluminium tube, then rounding the wood stock to the shaft diametre. Could do different colours then, and save on some weight.

Thanks for the help so far.

Regards,
Darren

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
I thought there was a thread on here recently, in which a forum member was playing around with making a bird's mouth shaft, could have been a mast or a paddle. Cant remember which, who posted it or which section it was in.

DM
mike

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Daren
Build you two small boxes about 4 inches bigger than your blade and if you have are can borrow a paddle like you want wax the blade on the paddle then cover it with saran wrap pour up to half the blade with plaster paris
let dry then put a layer of saran wrap over the whole box the pour the top half of the blade with plaster paris let dry well take box apart very carefully remove the paddle then cover the two halves of your mold with a couple coats of epoxy
wax it heavily lay up your new blade and pour it with wood glass or kelvar what ever you want.
Ron
PS The blade should be flat to por the mould

islandpiper

Is this sort of what you had in mind? This is an Italian design paddle, the slots help steering and drag, and of course, the HANDYMAN'S SECRET WEAPON makes it possible.

Piper

italian%20paddle.jpg

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Is that a one string base fiddle I though us Ozarkians were the only to make them. Gotta have long arms to play it.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Oh sorry my M&M figerin is a little rusty.One M&M two M&M this is gonna take awhile while I measure that paddle.