Marsh pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

Marsh pirogue

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
The Ducks Unlimited folks asked us to build a pirogue for them to raffle off. One member of the group managed to get most of the materials donated for us to use. What follows is the building of what is called a marsh pirogue. It is distinguished from other styles primarily by having a wide flare and no ribs. More stable than other styles (e.g river, lake or swamp pirogues), a marsh pirogue is well suited for poling as well as paddling.

Material donation included plywood, this one will be painted.
The plywood was a 4 X 8 sheet of 1/4" and a sheet of 3/8". We cut the sides out of the 1/4" sheet.

e92acd19.jpg

We like to scarf instead of butt joint.

e92acce1.jpg

e92acca0.jpg

Then glue up the scarfs

e92acbaa.jpg

Then go home, no sense in working too much at one time.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ticky :D

I am real interested in this one mate.

Is the design yours?

I really like the down curved gunwhales at the stems. Can you pleae provide some details eg. length - beam - height etc.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Hi Mick,

Appreciate your interest. No real detail design on this. I don't know of any of the old boatbuilders that actually had plans or drawings. Most learnt from their relatives and developed a distinctive style of their own. If you wanted a pirogue like T-Boy Boudreaux builds, then you had to get T-Boy to build you one. A big interest of Keith and mine is to document the boats where we can. For most, this means the first time that anything has ever been written down about the boat.

Having said all that, Keith and I take the liberty to tweak things a little where we think it makes an improvement. Much of boatbuilding is "by hand and by eye" and whatever is most pleasing to the person building or looking at it.

This one is 12' long, with about a 24" bottom and a beam about 10"or 12" wider than the bottom.

To continue from yesterday's pics-----------

Put both sides together and make sure they're the same size

e92acb5e.jpg

e92acb1b.jpg

Now attach the inside chines, be sure to build a right side and a left side, not two identical sides.

e92aca1e.jpg

e92ac9b2.jpg

pop a top and let the glue dry.....

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Another day,

Trim the bottom chines out of the way, wire up both ends to make sort of primitive hinge..........

e910b6f2.jpg

Open up the sides over the jig, this jig is pretty heavy duty and you can get by with a simpler one. Basically it holds the sides at the required angle and you move the sides up and down to get the desired bottom width.

e92ac983.jpg

Get the sides level and in the correct position, clamp them down on the jig and install the stems. Forgot to take a picture of the stems ....sorry. Anyway they're curved to fit the leading edges and tapered, here's one nailed in. I know you can't see much but it's too far in to remove. I'll try to find a stray stem and post that picture.

e910b5df.jpg

Flip the boat over and install the breasthooks in each end. Keith and I like these thick chunks for breasthooks, I believe they really add to the boat. Of course if you're going for less weight, make them out of plywood.

e910b547.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
It's hot as a two dollar pistol around here, so you don't have to worry about glue drying..........

Flip it over and plane down the chine and sides until they're flat side to side and smoothly curved fore and aft. Spend however much time you need here because this seam is what keeps the water out.

e910b45c.jpg

We're going to install a single center bottom rib. It serves to hold the sides open, stiffen up the bottom panel, gives you a place to prop your feet while paddling.

e910b399.jpg

The bottom panels get cut and scarffed, similar to the side panels.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Back again,

The scarf held on the bottom panel so now it's time to get it ready for gluing. Here's friend Keith actually doing some work. The bottom is held in palce with a couple nails driven into the stems.

e90d7e75.jpg

Once it's shaped, check for final fit and attach.

e90d7e13.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
After the bottom is on, flip it back over and attach the shear or top rails. For this ribless design the shear rail is composed of three pieces. Two pieces sandwich the plywood on each side and a third piece covers the outside rail and the edge of the plywood side. This not only holds the pirogue open but also stiffens the sides and protects the plywood edge.

Here's a shot of of the inside and outside rails attached. You can never have too many clamps.

e8f9f970.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
The third or top rail goes on and then you can shape the rear breasthook.

e8f924e9.jpg

Put in the seat, work on the front breasthook

e8f923fc.jpg

e8f9207b.jpg

here's what she looks like

e8f92265.jpg

Now comes the part where I disappear for a few days to paint and sand. I'll post final pictures next week.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Almost done, little more varnish and a little more paint......They're never really done, you just get to some point where you're like the woman with the 40 pound chicken - close enough.

e8bc0dee.jpg

e8bc0db5.jpg

e8bc0d8b.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
seedtick said:
They're never really done, you just get to some point where you're like the woman with the 40 pound chicken - close enough.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Friend seedtick,

Mitey nice lookin'. When do ya'll git ta paddle those fine lookin' boats? Where?

regards
bearridge

Lord, the money we do spend on Government and it’s not one bit better than the government we got for one-third the money twenty years ago. Will Rogers

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
friend bear,

Us paddling is a long story, but since I know how everyone here hates thread drift, I'll try to keep it short.............

My good friend Keith retired in about 2002. He started building pirogues as his wife told him he wasn't socially aceeptable to hang around her very much. Anyway he'd build a boat or two and call me up and we'd go paddle somewhere - no problem finding a place to paddle in south LA, Amite River, Lake Maurepas, Pearl River, Bayou Lafourche, etc.

I retired in 2004, but by that time Keith's boats were in such demand that he didn't have much time to paddle. Then he says, "Why don'tcha come help me work off this backlog and we can paddle more". I had built a boat back in 1970 and had a (small) handful of carpentry skills so i said "Why sure". Little did I realize at the time that he had flipped the bait in front of me, i took it, and he began to reel me in.

Fast forward to 2007, we've got an even bigger backlog of boats, paddle less than we did five years ago, but we're having more fun than the good Lord ever intended two old boys to have

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend tick,

How do ya'll haul 'em ta the water.....on the rare days when ya'll git ta wet a paddle? Kin one fella handle one? They look mitey heavy. Ever camped out 'er made a multiday trip in one? In the winter, of course.

Thanks fer the background. I got friends in low places myownself. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

I can't give you brains, but I can give you a diploma. Wizard of Oz

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
If the river's up, we can launch from the road in front of Keith's house :D other wise we usually put 'em in the back of the truck or on a trailer.

Most times we're at a boat launch and carry from the truck about 15 or 20 feet. We almost never have to carry them more than 100 feet

Have to rattle Keith's brain about weight but a 14 foot dugout weighs in at about 120 lb, a plank pirogue is close to 110lb. This 12 foot marsh pirogue has 1/4" sides and 3/8" bottom and weighs about 60 lb. We haven't tried to build an ultralight (1/8" sides and bottom) yet. No real need to as we don't paddle alone - no one to tell lies to.

We have made multiday trips but i did enough sleeping on a sand bar years ago to last the rest of my life. Besides, time we carry all the beer Keith needs for a two day trip, there's not much room for tents and stuff

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
seedtick said:
We have made multiday trips but i did enough sleeping on a sand bar years ago to last the rest of my life. Besides, time we carry all the beer Keith needs for a two day trip, there's not much room for tents and stuff

Friend tick,

Ya'll best join up on a Paddlin' Geezer Expedishun. We kinda spread the load out.....not the High Sheriff, the other load. :wink:

regards
bearridge

We could adopt a better approach to crime by showing criminals the same kind of mercy that they show their victims. Walter E. Williams

aeromotorwindmill

Jan 13, 2007
Georgia Tennessee
boat finish

I couldn't tell by the photos if the boats were glassed or painted, can you tell us...if painted can you tell me how as far as primer, paint type etc...I would like to build a few for my nephews but the one I built I glassed and it get to be a little more than I need to spend...There was a old boat builder around when I was growing up, he painted everthing he built and the boats are still around 30-40 years later...

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
The plywood is painted, coated first with West epoxy, then Interlux Pre-Kote primer, the paint is Duralux (IIRC)

The cypress trim is varnished with Epihanes gloss

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
we don't have plans written down for it.

When you get away from straight sided pirogues, subtle changes in the curve and cut of the sides significantly change the shape of the boat.

The old boat builders had a few guidelines but they built mainly by hand and by eye.

Having said that, the sides have about a 4" bottom swag cut out. The minimum width of the sides is 10"at midpoint and the max is 15" at the bow and somewhat less at the stern. The cut back from the top leading edge of the side to the bottom edge of the side is 5 to 12". The top edge of the sides are flat for about 4 feet in the middle then curve.

For the sides above, the width of the pirogue along with the length and flare of the sides will determine the amount of rocker or how much the ends are up from horizontal. A couple of inches in width or a couple of degrees of flare will make a diference in the amount of rocker and final shape of the sides.

The cut back also varies with the above parameters and also whether or not you have a straight or curved stem. Tthe amount of cutback is a personal preference of how you want the leading edge (and trailing edge) of the pirogue to look.

The top cut of the sides along with the flare and how you vary the flare toward the stem affects the top or shear line of the finished pirogue. Personally I like the little hump at the bow and stern as it provides not only visual appeal but also adds a bit more side height to deflect oncoming waves.

I not trying to make building a boat like this rocket science, but there is a reason why they were built by master boat builders and not folks that wanted a "build in a weekend pirogue". Not that there's anything wrong with a build in a weekend boat - it puts folks on water and having fun and that's what counts. But, having studied under a few master boat builders, I know it would take a significant text to detail not only the nuances of the pirogue but also provide enough detail for the hobbyist to be successful.

Plans and specifications are very hard to make bulletproof and while Keith and I have a lot of documentation, we are lacking bulletproof plans. Sorry.